R600's secret weapon revealed

Old April 4th 07, 05:37 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Yousuf Khan

Default R600's secret weapon revealed

Well, it is coming from the Inquirer, so take with a grain of salt. It
doesn't sound implausible though.

R600's secret weapon revealed
"In any case, R600 will be compliant with the Vista requirements and can
send sound directly over a HDCP/HDMI link. We are told this is a full HD
sound setup, not a cheesy 2.1 channel thing."

There is no failure, only delayed success
Old April 4th 07, 07:54 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Oliver Nowak

Yousuf Khan hat uns dieses gebracht :
Well, it is coming from the Inquirer, so take with a grain of salt. It
doesn't sound implausible though.

R600's secret weapon revealed
"In any case, R600 will be compliant with the Vista requirements and can send
sound directly over a HDCP/HDMI link. We are told this is a full HD sound
setup, not a cheesy 2.1 channel thing."

That has been pretty much confirmed by an AMD rep earlier. See here
(close to the end of the interview):

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?article_id=573129

PCGH: Rick told us on the press conference that you had HD-Audio and
HDMI integrated into the RV6x. Is that true for all R6x-products from
top to bottom?

Vijay Sharma: Yes.
unquote

--
O.

Old April 4th 07, 08:44 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Yousuf Khan

Oliver Nowak wrote:
That has been pretty much confirmed by an AMD rep earlier. See here
(close to the end of the interview):

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?article_id=573129

PCGH: Rick told us on the press conference that you had HD-Audio and
HDMI integrated into the RV6x. Is that true for all R6x-products from
top to bottom?

Vijay Sharma: Yes.
unquote

Interesting, I read that interview before, but I missed that. So I
wonder how Creative Labs is feeling now?

Yousuf Khan

--
There is no failure, only delayed success
Old April 4th 07, 09:10 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
[email protected]

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 12:37:04 -0400, Yousuf Khan
wrote:

Well, it is coming from the Inquirer, so take with a grain of salt. It
doesn't sound implausible though.

R600's secret weapon revealed
"In any case, R600 will be compliant with the Vista requirements and can
send sound directly over a HDCP/HDMI link. We are told this is a full HD
sound setup, not a cheesy 2.1 channel thing."

DRM suxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I just hope it would not take much time before a crack appears
somewhere around the Internet. Something like a driver patch or
whatever...

NNN

Old April 5th 07, 01:08 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Tony Hill

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 15:44:38 -0400, Yousuf Khan
wrote:
Oliver Nowak wrote:
That has been pretty much confirmed by an AMD rep earlier. See here
(close to the end of the interview):

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?article_id=573129

PCGH: Rick told us on the press conference that you had HD-Audio and
HDMI integrated into the RV6x. Is that true for all R6x-products from
top to bottom?

Vijay Sharma: Yes.
unquote

Interesting, I read that interview before, but I missed that. So I
wonder how Creative Labs is feeling now?

I *highly* doubt that this will have any effect at all on Creative
Labs' sales, or at the very least the effect it might have will be
totally negligible compared to the having virtually every single
motherboard with HD-Audio built in (as we have now).

Note that this audio is unlikely to be much more than a Realtek or ADI
codec chip.
--
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old April 5th 07, 05:25 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Yousuf Khan

Tony Hill wrote:
Interesting, I read that interview before, but I missed that. So I
wonder how Creative Labs is feeling now?

I *highly* doubt that this will have any effect at all on Creative
Labs' sales, or at the very least the effect it might have will be
totally negligible compared to the having virtually every single
motherboard with HD-Audio built in (as we have now).

Note that this audio is unlikely to be much more than a Realtek or ADI
codec chip.

I think it's a bit more problematic for Creative than that. Until now,
Creative has been taking refuge, by selling to gamers and power users,
who still buy add-on sound cards thinking that they are superior in
quality to built-in audio. These are the same people who buy high-end
video cards. If they buy a high-end video card now, will they still feel
a need to buy a separate audio card if it's already built into their
high-end video card? They'll probably feel that a high-quality video
would also come included with a high-quality sound.

Also if any of these gamers/power users decide to connect their
computers through the HDMI outputs to a HDTV set, then they may not have
any choice but to use the sound that comes through their video card.
Since the HDMI plug integrates the video and the audio outputs together,
there's no way to connect that between separate sound and video cards,
it all has to come through the one card.

Also the this new sound/video device has to be able to send Dolby
Digital-encoded multi-directional sound, through an S/PDIF output
integrated into the HDMI plug. I don't think there are any Realtek or
ADI sound chips that can send digital sound through an S/PDIF connector.
At one time, one of the reasons for buying after market sound cards was
for the ability to output through digital links to a home theater system
-- that market is now threatened.

Yousuf Khan

--
There is no failure, only delayed success
Old April 5th 07, 07:12 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
The little lost angel

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 00:25:57 -0400, Yousuf Khan
wrote:

Tony Hill wrote:
Interesting, I read that interview before, but I missed that. So I
wonder how Creative Labs is feeling now?

I *highly* doubt that this will have any effect at all on Creative
Labs' sales, or at the very least the effect it might have will be
totally negligible compared to the having virtually every single
motherboard with HD-Audio built in (as we have now).

I think it's a bit more problematic for Creative than that. Until now,

My opinion is similar to Tony's because sound cards has not been
Creative's main revenue source for quite a while. The percentage sound
card made up for sales were 13%, 13%, 10%, 10% for the past 4
quarters. I wouldn't be surprised to see 8% for the next.

So whatever impact integrated audio on gfx cards would have isn't
going to be noticeable against the steady decline of sound card sales.

--
A Lost Angel, fallen from heaven
Lost in dreams, Lost in aspirations,
Old April 9th 07, 04:03 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Evgenij Barsukov

Yousuf Khan wrote:
Well, it is coming from the Inquirer, so take with a grain of salt. It
doesn't sound implausible though.

R600's secret weapon revealed
"In any case, R600 will be compliant with the Vista requirements and can
send sound directly over a HDCP/HDMI link. We are told this is a full HD
sound setup, not a cheesy 2.1 channel thing."

Who cares about sound sent over HDMI. I have never seen a 5.1 sound-system that even
has an HDMI input. Are they envisioning that people are going to play the 5.1 HD
sound on their TVs lamentable 2-channel sound-system?

Regards,
Yevgen
Old April 9th 07, 07:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Yousuf Khan

Evgenij Barsukov wrote:
Who cares about sound sent over HDMI. I have never seen a 5.1
sound-system that even
has an HDMI input. Are they envisioning that people are going to play
the 5.1 HD
sound on their TVs lamentable 2-channel sound-system?

I don't know, do these tv's have a pass-through from their internal
sound to an external system?

Yousuf Khan

--
There is no failure, only delayed success