Wireless router work OK?

Old June 23rd 03, 02:35 PM

Default Wireless router work OK?

Ive been thinking of selling my current LinkSys wired
router....and getting a wireless one. And then a
laptop to use around the house.

Im curious if anyone out there is using such a
setup....and how well it is working for you?
Old June 23rd 03, 02:39 PM
John Smith

A friend of mine does exactly that with a Netgear wireless router. He is
very happy with it but he has noticed that the connectivity speeds between
his other PCs is not as fast when they were hard-wired together. Seems to
work fine though otherwise.

J.

Old June 23rd 03, 03:20 PM

I'm using a Netgear wireless router and it works fine for sharing an
internet connection. If you swap large files often between computers, it is
a bit slow.

Since I already have a wired router..... would you
recommend just getting the "wireless access point" or
WAP as it is called? That way I can set the access
point up high or wherever I want in the house?

Or....is the all in one unit just handier as there are
less cables.... mess... etc?
Old June 23rd 03, 03:21 PM

I'm using a Netgear wireless router and it works fine for sharing an
internet connection. If you swap large files often between computers, it is
a bit slow.

Also.....dont all wireless routers also have ports for
traditional WIRED ethernet?

I mean..... I could hard wire my desktop to it
(wireless router)...... but use the wireless features
on a laptop or tablet PC?
Old June 23rd 03, 03:34 PM
Pen

Wouldn't it be cheaper, more secure and more reliable to just add
a wireless access point to your existing network?

. com...

Old June 23rd 03, 03:35 PM

Get one that has a built in wired router as well.

OK

Any brands or models I should look at?
Old June 23rd 03, 04:46 PM

Wouldn't it be cheaper, more secure and more reliable to just add
a wireless access point to your existing network?

I don't know. Would it?

Or..... just as easy and maybe better to buy a whole
new wireless router box?
Old June 23rd 03, 04:46 PM
John Smith

Um, still Linksys and Netgear - if I recall correctly they have models which
are wireless and allow hard-wired cabling connections, built in fire-wall, a
DMZ, DHCP server, and I think the netgear has a Print Manager also.

J.

Old June 23rd 03, 04:58 PM
John Smith

John...

You need to do a couple of things:

1) Decide if you really need Wireless or not? Think about the pros and cons

2) Work out how many Ports you need?

3) If you opt for Wireless do you want 802.11a, 802.11b, one than handles
both or do you want the newer 802.11g?

Go he

http://www.linksys.com/Products/prod...id=35&prid=415 -
wireless version

http://www.linksys.com/Products/prod...cid=29&prid=20 - 4 port
version

http://www.linksys.com/Products/prod...id=155&scid=29 - 8 port
version

http://www.netgear.com/products/wireless/dualband.asp - wireless

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod...odID=140&view= - 4 port
version

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod...odID=157&view= - 8 port
version

J.

Old June 23rd 03, 05:13 PM

1) Decide if you really need Wireless or not? Think about the pros and cons

Yes... I want it

2) Work out how many Ports you need?

Hmm.... at least 4?

3) If you opt for Wireless do you want 802.11a, 802.11b, one than handles
both or do you want the newer 802.11g?

The newer 802.11g

help: connecting wireless router using wireless lan card. [email protected] General 5 December 12th 04 06:03 PM
System Requirements Wireless Router? Forrest General 4 June 12th 04 02:53 AM
Another OK deal - Compusa online is offering the Belkin router wireless AND a laptop wireless belkin card for $20 after rebate the "B" versions [email protected] General 0 April 26th 04 10:15 AM
Wireless router Tomaz Cedilnik General 4 February 4th 04 08:23 PM
Having trouble with one computer connecting to a wireless router which is connected to ADSL modem. Casey Hawthorne General 0 December 7th 03 03:51 AM