Data recovery from fried drive

Old June 22nd 03, 11:32 PM
John Smith

Default Data recovery from fried drive

Hi,

I fried a Seagate 80GB drive a few weeks ago.

I did a stupid thing and was connecting the power connector up when the PC
was on, put the connector in the wrong way and, strange burning smell 5
seconds later, the drive was fried.

So, is there anyway to recover the data on this drive. Is it just the
circuitry that has gone or has the data also gone? Or is it touch and go?

I was thinking of buying another Seagate drive, unscrewing the electronic
circuitry from the old one and screwing on the new one so that I could
recover the data? Would this work?

I know companies used to charge a fortune for this kind of thing a few years
back - do they still charge a fortune? Hasn't a 'cheap' home-based product
for such an event come on the market?

J.

Old June 23rd 03, 02:05 AM
David B.

Should be able to find that at Home Depot or similar, Just so you know I have successfully performed the same recovery process
twice.

"John Smith" wrote in message ...
Thanks, I'll have to keep my eyes out for a second hand drive on ebay. I
assume no one sells these controller cards?

BTW, Seagate have very annoying star screws on the circuit/controller board
which needs a special screwdriver. I assume you can pick these up in most
hardware stores?

J.

"Vincent" wrote in message
i would think the data on the media is ok.
Yeah, might try screwin on a new controller board.

Old June 23rd 03, 08:02 AM
John Smith

Thanks Vincent - glad I now know the correct technical name. I would have
been going around asking for a 'star' screwdriver.

J.

"Vincent" wrote in message
You'll very probably need a Torx ("star") screwdriver. You can engage Torx
screws with Allen keys or a flathead driver of appropriate width, but

that's
not an optimal solution. Fortunately, Torx quarter-inch hex bits will do

the
job, and are cheap; you need just one hex bit driver to match, and they're
cheap too.

Old June 23rd 03, 09:49 AM
spodosaurus

John Smith wrote:
Hi,

I fried a Seagate 80GB drive a few weeks ago.

I did a stupid thing and was connecting the power connector up when the PC
was on, put the connector in the wrong way and, strange burning smell 5
seconds later, the drive was fried.

So, is there anyway to recover the data on this drive. Is it just the
circuitry that has gone or has the data also gone? Or is it touch and go?

I was thinking of buying another Seagate drive, unscrewing the electronic
circuitry from the old one and screwing on the new one so that I could
recover the data? Would this work?

Lots of people do this. Make sure it's the EXACT same model drive.

--

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person

spam trap: replace shyah_right with hotmail when replying

Old June 23rd 03, 10:19 AM
John Smith

Thanks, I've seen one cheapish on ebay.com in the US but none as yet on the
ebay UK site which, I am surprised to find, seems quite expensive for
second-hand components.

J.