Lexmark extends its "Return Program" restrictions to ink

Old October 29th 06, 09:43 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Yianni

Default Lexmark extends its "Return Program" restrictions to ink

Lexmark announced its extension of its Prebate-style program to inkjet
supplies. On Tuesday, September 12, 2006, Lexmark released the new Z845
single-function inkjet printer.

The Z845 supplies are offered at a $4 upfront discount, but subject to the
following restrictions: “Lexmark Return Program: The #28 black cartridge
reflects a $4 up-front discount compared to alternative cartridges in
exchange for agreeing to return the used cartridges only to Lexmark for
remanufacturing or recycling.”

Apparently Lexmark has also incorporated another lovely feature of the laser
Prebate program: the killer chip. According to a source from the media, the
printer has a chip that detects a refilled cartridge and turns off the
printer.

With the proliferation of ink refilling options available to consumers,
Lexmark’s move comes as no surprise. With Rapid Refill and Cartridge World
stores in hundreds of locations and refill options at Walgreen’s and other
retailers, the ink consuming nation is fast becoming aware that new
high-priced OEM products do not have to be tolerated.

SIGNIFICANT IMAGE: http://www.inkline.gr/temp/LEXMARK.jpg

--

Yianni
(áöáéñÝóôå ôïí áñéèìü åííéÜ áðü ôï email)

Old October 29th 06, 11:13 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Rick Blaine

"Yianni" wrote:

the ink consuming nation is fast becoming aware that new
high-priced OEM products do not have to be tolerated.

I never understood this attitude. I can recall paying $800 and more for dot
matrix printers not that long ago.

That was painful - and the printer companies realized that a lot of people could
afford that kind of pain, so they came up with a deal where color (gasp!)
printers could be had for a song and the ink would payback the dev costs and
earn a profit.

A lot like people who can't afford to buy a car, so they lease.
Old October 30th 06, 04:52 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Taliesyn

Yianni wrote:

Lexmark announced its extension of its Prebate-style program to inkjet
supplies. On Tuesday, September 12, 2006, Lexmark released the new Z845
single-function inkjet printer.

The Z845 supplies are offered at a $4 upfront discount, but subject to
the following restrictions: �Lexmark Return Program: The #28 black
cartridge reflects a $4 up-front discount compared to alternative
cartridges in exchange for agreeing to return the used cartridges only
to Lexmark for remanufacturing or recycling.�

Apparently Lexmark has also incorporated another lovely feature of the
laser Prebate program: the killer chip. According to a source from the
media, the printer has a chip that detects a refilled cartridge and
turns off the printer.

Lexmark's polite way of saying to Lexmark printer owners: "You will hand
over that $50 to Lexmark or you will not be using your printer tonight".
It's all about money. They want you to give that $50 to them instead of
keeping $49 of it in your own pocket after spending $1 on good
compatible ink. I have used compatible inks for my previous Lexmark Z55
and they were perfect, and for a pittance! Yes, it's all about money.
Yours.

-Taliesyn
Old October 30th 06, 09:31 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Taliesyn wrote:

Yianni wrote:

[...]

There is no good generic ink. And all compatible means is the ink
squirtes out fo a nozz

Old October 30th 06, 09:48 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

I suspect the only way this problem is going to be resolved is if the
3rd party manufacturers and refillers get together and hire some high
priced lawyers to challenge the manufacturers, either that or a couple
of lawyers need to get really annoyed enough to bring forward a class
action or two.

All of this stuff is anti-competitive and should be addressed. Anyone
know some good lawyers to start a class action?

Art

Old October 30th 06, 09:54 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Fine, then have them offer lease programs like some photocopy companies do.

The current business model just promotes the throw away mentality and
clogs the landfills with otherwise usable product. Further, it makes
the manufacturers cut corners on the design and build of the printers,
since they work on a very low profit margin on them.

What's more painful is people being conned into buying a printer only to
find out the first cartridge or toner replacement costs more than the
printer with the ink or toner did to begin with.

Art

Old October 30th 06, 03:15 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Rick Blaine

Arthur Entlich wrote:

I suspect the only way this problem is going to be resolved

What problem? Who's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy these
printers? If you don't like the cost of the consumables, buy a color laser or
dye sub printer. Uh, wait. Those printers cost 10x what an ink jet does...
Old October 30th 06, 03:32 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Yianni

I suspect the only way this problem is going to be resolved is if the 3rd
party manufacturers and refillers get together and hire some high priced
lawyers to challenge the manufacturers, either that or a couple of lawyers
need to get really annoyed enough to bring forward a class action or two.

I don't think so. First of all it's legal. And in my opinion a clever (not
say "fair") tactic. Lexmark says: I sell something I don't want you to
refill it. If you want to refill it, buy the other (higher priced) one.
Lexmark says I want it back, even though if it never gets it back...
The drawback is that there aren't many non-prebate empties. The same tactic
for lasers for a few years. On the other hand many people, and big companies
remanufacture them (the prebate cartridges). I think that Lexmark wants to
have the oportunity to sue the companies that makes very high volumes.

--
Yianni
(remove number nine to send me email)

Old October 30th 06, 04:26 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Taliesyn

measekite wrote:

Taliesyn wrote:

Yianni wrote:

[...]

Again you insist on lying when you have no experience to speak of. I
owned a decent Lexmark and there was absolutely no visible difference in
color, fading or clogging between Lexmark and the compatible ink I used
for it (from Atlantic Inkjet). It was a great product for a minor league
printer.

-Taliesyn
Old October 30th 06, 06:00 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Yianni wrote:
[...]

But does Lexmark say that? If I want to spend the big bucks and buy a
color laser, can I refill it? I was lead to believe "no", it seems
that the more you spend, the more sophisticated the detection and
prevention schemes. I looked at a Lexmark C770, which it seems they
artificiall limit to smaller carts to begin with compared to same
engine C772, and either way, an outrageous cost for even the black
cartridge. I got over 500,000 pages from an old HP Laserjet III and
bulk toner was about $20. So could I just buy the B&W equivalent
Lexmark at $1000 and refill that? Seems not, it's now multiple times
as expensive to print mere text as it was almost a decade ago.
Progress???