Sound Card Advice?

Old June 22nd 03, 10:34 PM
MCheu

Default Sound Card Advice?

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 11:42:16 -0400, "Carly"
wrote::

Unfortunately my motherboard doesn't have onboard sound and my old
SoundBlaster Live card is dead. Should I go with another cheap SoundBlaster
Live to hold me over until I get a new system next year or should I go with
a newer card like a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 or a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz?

These days, there's really no point in going with a SB Live unless you
already have one. If I my SBLive Value wasn't still working, I'd
probably grab one of the newer cheapie cards based on the 6 channel
(5.1) C-media chips.

If you want to go with something cheap, there's really no point in
going with the SB Live anymore. The newer cheapo C-media based cards
with 6 channel sound are actually pretty good, and have superior sound
quality to the SB Live OEM cards with similar pricing. I don't know
how they compare to the SB LIVE 5.1 cards, as I've only heard the
difference between the SB LIVE Value and standard OEM cards.

At $10-20 Canadian, I don't really see a downside. If your budget
allows for an Audigy 2, I'm sure you can still afford to buy one if it
doesn't work out for you.

Thanks,

MCheu
-Recent Grad BSc CompSci. If you're hiring in Toronto, drop me a line.
Old June 24th 03, 04:00 AM
gupps

Depends on what you want to use the card for.If you are like me and are a
gamer and MP3 listener yer best bet is to go w/t a decent sound card (I'm
using a Phillips Accoustic Edge) and sinking the money into a nice set of
speakers (Klipsch here). If you are just using the PC for internet and word
processing then any set of cards/speakers will do.

Gupps

--
God is dead.
Nietzsche

sound card K.A.C.P.E.R General 10 January 3rd 05 04:48 PM
Sound card advice needed DJS0302 General 1 May 26th 04 08:09 AM
FrontTech Sound Card NOT Working ?. Please Advice Sriram General 4 April 25th 04 03:57 PM
RocketRaid 1640 + Sound card problems Gerald General 3 March 12th 04 01:16 AM
Sound card problems with Jetway 993AN board Steve Macleod General 1 December 2nd 03 10:10 PM