Is a Celeron 600Mhz is on a par with a Pentium 150Mhz ??

Old June 23rd 03, 02:11 AM
David B.

Default Is a Celeron 600Mhz is on a par with a Pentium 150Mhz ??

Even the first Celeron (300Mhz, no cache) outperformed a P150.

"Ian Roberts" wrote in message ...

"Conor" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
Hi

Can anyone tell me if a Celeron 600 is on a par with a Pentium

150Mhz?

I'm sorting out a virus ridden PC for a friend. The NAV 5
subscription expired over a year ago and its no longer supported.

So I
want to find out if the current NIS will work on her PC.

The minimum Win98 system requirement for Norton Internet Security

2003
is a Pentium 150Mhz with 64Mb RAM. I have no idea how the Celeron
compares with it.

Are you sure you're the right person to be fixing someone elses PC

if
you don't even have a basic grasp of CPUs? For Christ sake, just

apply
a bit of common sense..600MHz versus 150MHz.

--
________________________
Conor Turton

ICQ:31909763
________________________

Hi Conor

Thanks for your wisdom.

When celeron's first came out they were considered a low budget
solution (no cache - sluggish etc)

I never paid much attention to them as at the time I was in the heady
heights of Pentiums (Pro, II's, III's.)

Along the way I just lost touch with celerys and never took them
seriously. I realise now of course its now a different ball game. To
be honest I still dont know where they slip into the scheme of things.

As for my being qualified, well Ive sorted loads of problems over the
years and got paid for it and Ive just built my umpteenth PC...

Barton XP3000, MSI K7N2 system board, 1Gb PC3200 RAM, WD1200JB...

I guess you can see why I dont pay much attention to celerys!

Cheers I^)

Old June 23rd 03, 02:16 AM
David B.

Have you ever used a Celeron 1.7? Your assumptions are false for the most part. My Game machine is a Cely 1.7 and it works
beautifully. Along with a TI4200, 1GB of ram, a 7200 RPM drive, it plays any game out there with no problems using 1024x768 @ 32 bit
color.

you can see why I dont pay much attention to "JK" wrote in message ...

The Celeron 600 is based on the P3. P3 based Celerons perform much
better on a clock speed basis than P4 based Celerons, except in a few
highly optimized SSE2 applications. For most software, a Celeron 1.4 ghz,
would probably beat a 1.7 ghz Celeron by a large margin.

The Celeron 1.4 ghz is interesting, although since it is around the price of
an Athlon XP1700+, I would much rather have the XP1700+. The P4 based
Celerons imo look like very bad values. The clock speeds might be high,
however the performance is much lower than similarly priced Athlon XP
chips in most applications.

Cheers I^)

Old June 23rd 03, 09:53 AM
spodosaurus

David B. wrote:
Have you ever used a Celeron 1.7? Your assumptions are false for the most part. My Game machine is a Cely 1.7 and it works
beautifully. Along with a TI4200, 1GB of ram, a 7200 RPM drive, it plays any game out there with no problems using 1024x768 @ 32 bit
color.

Google for the comparisons of the Cel1.4 and cel1.7

--

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person

spam trap: replace shyah_right with hotmail when replying

Old June 24th 03, 12:23 AM
David B.

Oops, the first Cely was a 266 I believe.

"David B." wrote in message .net...
Even the first Celeron (300Mhz, no cache) outperformed a P150.

"Ian Roberts" wrote in message ...

"Conor" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Celeron D Success Story Pat Overclocking 1 January 3rd 05 06:11 PM
Celeron D vs P4 Pat Overclocking 2 November 2nd 04 04:59 PM
Overclocking 2ghz Celeron Northwood Kai Robinson Overclocking 3 May 3rd 04 06:52 AM
CPU info.- Celeron 2.4 vs Intel P4 Taishi General 20 April 14th 04 06:12 AM
P3-800 vs Celeron 1.4 --> video encoding time PS General 15 September 21st 03 06:14 PM