Big Problems

Old June 23rd 03, 02:34 PM
spodosaurus

Default Big Problems

Lokai wrote:
Hello

I wonder if someone can help please?

I have just put together a PC with an AMD XP 2500+ (running at 2.08Ghz, its a
Barton 333Mhz), it has 512Mb RAM (DDR, PC2700) and a 120Gb HDD and an ASUS mobo
A7N8X. I was running it under Windows XP Home, NTFS.

I have not yet had time to copy the current BIOS file (I think it is 1003) to
diskette. But now when I switch the PC on I continually get beeps:

Beep, pause, beep, pause bee... until I switch off.

The fans switch on etc I get the green light. I have removed the graphics card
(Geforce 4 Ti4200 8x, which was running ok before) and I still get the same
thing. Has the board completey gone?

The last thing I did was to change the clocking settings to 'Aggressive'. Has
the board blown or something or is this problem recoverable?

This is probably what is causing the problems then! Look in your
motherboard owners manual for the clear_cmos jumper and use this jumper
to return your BIOS settings back to factory defaults. In the future,
don't set this to aggressive again! Also, remember the clear_cmos
jumper for future fiddling with BIOS settings. I was in the same boat
when I tried to overclock a PC just to see if I could years ago, and set
the settings wrong.

HTH,

Ari

Please help.

Thanks

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person
on the recipient list. Call your local Red Cross and ask about
registering to be a bone marrow donor.

spam trap: replace shyah_right with hotmail when replying

Old June 23rd 03, 03:22 PM
Lokai

Spodosaurs

Lifesaver!!

Many thanks for this! Iwon't push it so far in future - I should really be
happy with 2.1 GHz!!

Thanks again!

Old June 23rd 03, 03:31 PM
Pen

Look in your manual for the "Clear RTC RAM" instructions. The jumper
is (CLRTC1). Make sure you follow the instructions EXACTLY, or you
will cause damage to the board.
Manual here, if you don't have. Watch wrap.
http://www.asus.com/support/download...1293_a7n8x.zip