Recommend data recovery company?

Old May 23rd 18, 04:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
B00ze

Default Recommend data recovery company?

Good day all.

Finally took the drives out of the old PC. The one that won't calibrate
anymore, the spindle makes an awful whine, but it seems to spin OK (last
time I checked SMART, there were no spin-up errors.) It was really going
to die soon no matter what. So right now it kicks the heads back and
forth for 5 minutes before giving up. I swapped the controller board
with another of the same model, made the same day. Now the drive kicks 2
or 3 times and settles down, and makes those "I'm reading a sector"
noises. Unfortunately, it is not enough, it never really becomes ready
so it never appears in Windows (I am forced to use a USB adapter, I
might be able to access it on a real IDE PC). I'd maybe have to swap
that tiny ROM chip between the boards, but I do not like where it is
located, it's going to be a pain using a soldering iron and I'm afraid
I'll un-solder half the board if I use a heat gun (never tried that on
electronics, and I don't think now is a good time to try.)

Since I'm not sure what's wrong, I'm not going to attempt swapping the
heads between my 2 drives. If I mess-up, I won't even know, because the
problem could be something other than the heads. So I'll be sending it
away. Found a place with a fixed price depending on hard drive size.
Since this is a really small drive, the price is good. I'll give'em the
donor drive too. I will report back.

Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Memberavid-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society

Old May 23rd 18, 05:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
VanguardLH[_2_]

B00ze wrote:

So I'll be sending it away. Found a place with a fixed price depending
on hard drive size. Since this is a really small drive, the price is
good. I'll give'em the donor drive too. I will report back.

I don't think you ever mentioned the drive's size. What is it? And how
much did the unidentified repair service center they would charge? Be
interesting to know what they are charging per MB or GB. Do they have a
web site? Also be interesting would be for you to return here to say if
they repaired the drive okay or were able to read everything off the old
one to put on a new one.
Old May 24th 18, 12:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_2_]

In message , B00ze
writes:
[]
like where it is located, it's going to be a pain using a soldering
iron and I'm afraid I'll un-solder half the board if I use a heat gun
(never tried that on electronics, and I don't think now is a good time
to try.)

[]
You've found an alternative solution, but just for completeness: I know
what you mean about blowing away other components; some of those
resistors and capacitors look like large grains of salt! What we tended
to do when removing a chip with a heat gun where there are lots of
adjacent components was cover them (the nearby components, not the one
we're removing) with "Kapton" tape (I don't know if that's a trade name
- probably). It's heat-resistant adhesive tape - dark yellow in colour,
looks a bit coppery when still on the roll.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

If you bate your breath do you catch a lung fish? (Glynn Greenwood 1996-8-23.)
Old May 28th 18, 09:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Diesel[_2_]

B00ze news May 2018 03:50:50 GMT in alt.windows7.general, wrote:

[...]

There's no point in swapping components on the boards themselves at
this point. Your drive has a mechanical issue and exchanging the ROM
isn't going to fix that.

Since I'm not sure what's wrong, I'm not going to attempt swapping
the heads between my 2 drives. If I mess-up, I won't even know,
because the problem could be something other than the heads. So
I'll be sending it away. Found a place with a fixed price
depending on hard drive size. Since this is a really small drive,
the price is good. I'll give'em the donor drive too. I will report
back.

Please do. If possible and they're willing to tell you, please share
what they determine the problem turned out being. Thanks!

--
To prevent yourself from being a victim of cyber
stalking, it's highly recommended you visit he