What kind of USB connector is this?

Old November 3rd 17, 06:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default What kind of USB connector is this?

I bought a US Robotics 56K USB External Fax-modem V.92 Model 5633A on
ebay without the USB cable. The plug on the rear of the modem is NOT a
standard USB connector. It's almost square and fairly large. I will need
to buy a cable on ebay for this, but I am not sure what to look for. Is
there a name for this connector (besides USB). I have never used a USB
modem, all were Serial port types in the past.

I want to make sure I get the right cable. I have no local place to buy
this, so I am stuck using ebay. I've seen these plugs, but dont have one
and dont know what it's called or named.

Thanks

Old November 3rd 17, 08:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default I What kind of USB connector is this?

On Fri, 03 Nov 2017 00:29:13 -0400, Paul wrote:

wrote:
I bought a US Robotics 56K USB External Fax-modem V.92 Model 5633A on
ebay without the USB cable. The plug on the rear of the modem is NOT a
standard USB connector. It's almost square and fairly large. I will need
to buy a cable on ebay for this, but I am not sure what to look for. Is
there a name for this connector (besides USB). I have never used a USB
modem, all were Serial port types in the past.

I want to make sure I get the right cable. I have no local place to buy
this, so I am stuck using ebay. I've seen these plugs, but dont have one
and dont know what it's called or named.

Thanks

http://support.usr.com/images/produc...5633a-back.jpg

Scroll sideways until you can see (6) on the far right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Usb_connectors.JPG

You want a type A male to a type B male, the kind of
thing my inkjet printer uses.

"AmazonBasics USB 2.0 Cable - A-Male to B-Male - 6 Feet $5"

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B00NH11KIK

Paul

Yep, that is the one. I was not sure how to look it up.
I think that #2 is the one on my cellphone. (not that this matters).
I didn't know they made this many types.

Speaking of printers, a year ago, I bought a printer on closeout. The
price was cheap, but when I got it home, it had a similar looking USB
plug, but did not come with the cable. Plus it only came with enough ink
to test print about 10 pages. The ink and that cable (at the store)
would have cost twice what I paid for the printer, so I just returned
it. But I am almost sure that printer needed the same cable. (which sold
for almost $20 at the store).

I'm gonna save that Wikipedia webpage for future cable identification.
Looks handy!

Thanks again!

Old November 3rd 17, 08:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
On Fri, 03 Nov 2017 00:29:13 -0400, Paul wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B00NH11KIK

Paul

Thats now a bad price, but too bad it's Amazon. I hate Amazon. They wont
give the shipping price without adding item to cart and signing in, and
they play too many games trying to get suckers to join their Prime crap
or making you buy more stuff to get free shipping, and all of that. I
stick with ebay, where everything is up front in black and white, and I
can buy one item without hassle, and know the shipping price
immediately.

Not to mention I'd then have to buy a prepaid Amazon card, when I
already have an Ebay card. I refuse to give out my personal credit card
# online.

The best I can do locally, so far.

"iCAN USB Cable A/B - 6 ft. (for PC to USB2 Printer $6 CDN"

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=001534

Most of the larger retailers, like Best Buy, want an arm
and a leg, for a piece of cable.

Paul

Old November 3rd 17, 08:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Hmmmmmm, how the heck did this get posted twice????
Another computer fluke I guess....

---

Old November 4th 17, 05:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Fri, 03 Nov 2017 03:22:19 -0400, Paul wrote:

Not to mention I'd then have to buy a prepaid Amazon card, when I
already have an Ebay card. I refuse to give out my personal credit card
# online.

The best I can do locally, so far.

"iCAN USB Cable A/B - 6 ft. (for PC to USB2 Printer $6 CDN"

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=001534

Most of the larger retailers, like Best Buy, want an arm
and a leg, for a piece of cable.

Paul

I went on ebay and bought a TWO PACK of them for $2.88 with free
shipping. They are 6ft long. That sure is cheap enough at $1.44 each.
Having a spare one around is a good thing.