L1/L2 cache question

Old January 15th 04, 02:21 PM
Terje Mathisen

John F. Carr wrote:

In article ,
Jon Beniston wrote:

| L1, traditionally, is split, because you get better performance if you
| can fetch an instruction and some data in the same cycle. Its probably
| easier/faster to have split caches than a multi-ported cache.

Also, instruction caches are typically read-only.

Ahh, non-refillable caches, you might want to get a patent on that..

Sounds like the mask-programmed ROM on old microcontrollers.
It's been over 20 years; you can use the idea for free.

It sounds even more like the CPU microcode ROM.

Since this avoided having to load the microcode from paper tape, it was
indeed a form of cache, right?

Terje

--
-
Old January 16th 04, 01:30 PM
John F. Carr

In article ,
Jan C. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Vorbr=FCggen?= wrote:

... one could imagine situations where there is no L1 D cache.

HyperSPARC has on-chip I-cache only and off chip unified L2 cache

Tera (CRAY) MTA has a large I-cache and no D-cache

--
John Carr )
Old January 16th 04, 02:26 PM
Andy Glew

The Intrinsity FastMATH processor (MIPS core, 16/32-way SIMD matrix
coprocessor) -- coprocessor accesses are directly to the L2 (but
coherent with the L1).

-- tim

Are you at Intrinisity, Tim Olson?
I was wondering...

Old January 16th 04, 11:29 PM
Tim Olson

In article ,
"Andy Glew" wrote:

| The Intrinsity FastMATH processor (MIPS core, 16/32-way SIMD matrix
| coprocessor) -- coprocessor accesses are directly to the L2 (but
| coherent with the L1).
|
| -- tim
|
| Are you at Intrinisity, Tim Olson?
| I was wondering...

Yes, perhaps I should have mentioned that in my original post...

-- tim