BSOD's- Inspiron 5100

Old January 30th 04, 10:15 PM

Default BSOD's- Inspiron 5100

If it hangs at the BIOS screen then it's not an OS problem. Update to the
latest BIOS, then reinstall from a clean drive. Make sure you are using the
correct and latest drives. If the problem continues, note all information on
the BSOD and post that along with the system details.

"Maurits" wrote in message
I get lot of XP BSOD's since I replace the Dell Home Edition with a new

Prof
Edition.
I did a full fresh install after deleted all the partitions. De BSOD's
varies in names. Sometimes it even hangs in the bios screen. Twice I get a
memory mismatch, after reinstalling the 2 so-dimm's it works. This morning

cold start, machine rebootes 5 times before a get XP. This afternoon, I
started en have to put out the accu, before I can start. Now the machine
dies with a crackling noise from within the 2 loudspeakers. I'm planned to
replace the XP Prof with the supplied Dell Home edition.
Anyone who has similair probs and knows what to to best?

Thanks, Maurits

Old January 31st 04, 01:29 PM
Maurits

RC schreef in bericht
m...
If it hangs at the BIOS screen then it's not an OS problem. Update to the
latest BIOS, then reinstall from a clean drive.

I did get the latest 028 BIOS and now I can access the bios again. Sometimes
it even hungs in the bios screen and couldn't change another page...But I
think the main prob (is)was the bootsequence. Default it's first floppy,
then harddrive. But there's no usb/old style 1.44 MB diskettedrive at all in
the 5100! I changed de bootsequence so the harddisk boots first. It seems
that was a mistake. Now it's default again and it works for 2 hours now.
Thanks, for your constructive thinking. I almost lost my faith in Dell, it's
my first laptop and have the beauty for 5 days now.

Maurits

Old January 31st 04, 07:44 PM
Maurits

"Maurits" schreef in bericht
RC schreef in bericht
m...
If it hangs at the BIOS screen then it's not an OS problem. Update to

the
latest BIOS, then reinstall from a clean drive.

I did get the latest 028 BIOS and now I can access the bios again.

Sometimes
it even hungs in the bios screen and couldn't change another page...But I
think the main prob (is)was the bootsequence. Default it's first floppy,
then harddrive. But there's no usb/old style 1.44 MB diskettedrive at all

in
the 5100! I changed de bootsequence so the harddisk boots first. It seems
that was a mistake. Now it's default again and it works for 2 hours now.
Thanks, for your constructive thinking. I almost lost my faith in Dell,

it's
my first laptop and have the beauty for 5 days now.

Hmm, still get random reboots. Won't boot at all, try 20 times, and now
these machine is booting! But for how long? Maybe it's an internal heath
problem. And the machine don't like average room temperatures ;-)

Maurits

Old February 1st 04, 12:24 PM
Maurits

"WSZsr" schreef in bericht
om...
Is it factory installed memory? Did you run Dell diags?

Yes, the factory in Ireland did. But I can't rin the diagnonis because it
needed an OS, and the CDROM with this diagnosis prg won't boot at all. I
didn't get a boot screen. Sometimes after pressing 40 times or so the on/off
button i get a memory mismatch or it started. This morning I get a. black
screens with no info at all b. sometimes a memory error and no bios screen
or a memory mismatch error or a memory fault with address it expected and
are wrong, I can't run a memory test. I switch memory (2&256 MB) from A to
B, leave place A or B open with one of the SO-DIMM's. Pull off the battery
only on AC power , make no difference.
I have no additional memory to test. Looks with a magnifiing glass and
strong light to the DIMM contacts but looks fine.
I' a lot spend a lot hours to get the thing worked, but it simply won't
start. But yesterday it works for 3 hours with no probs, then it reboot
spontanously. After that is works. Oke I switched off. Nxt day (now) again
memory mismatch (3 times) and for now 3 hours of blacks screens after
pressing 120 (?) the start button. Can I do more than contacting the
helpdesk and return the bloody machine?

Greetz, Maurits

Old February 1st 04, 03:58 PM
WSZsr