Dell Rip Off I thought I had 30 days.

Old February 9th 08, 09:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
flamestar

Default Dell Rip Off I thought I had 30 days.

I bought a Insperion 1520. I asked for a system to play games and do
graphics. It does neither except at an very low level. I stupidly ask
for help by email and they strung me along, Finally I called and was
told I was told I only had 22 days to retrun their machine. I would
glady by a much more expencive machine but the pleasure of screwing me
excides their dirire to make money.

I guess I'll try to sell it on ebay.
Old February 10th 08, 12:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"flamestar" wrote in message
I bought a Insperion 1520. I asked for a system to play games and do
graphics. It does neither except at an very low level. I stupidly ask
for help by email and they strung me along, Finally I called and was
told I was told I only had 22 days to retrun their machine. I would
glady by a much more expencive machine but the pleasure of screwing me
excides their dirire to make money.

I guess I'll try to sell it on ebay.

What's your invoice date?

You need to escalate through Customer Service making it plain that you want
an exchange.

I think if you told them you wanted (for example) an XPS1530, they'd
certainly work with you.

If you end up listing it on ebay, please post a link to this group if you're
comfortable doing that. Maybe someone here needs the system.

Good luck.

Stew

Old February 10th 08, 01:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

What made you believe you had 30 days? It has been 21 days since
invoice for at least 3 or 4 years and is pretty clearly documented in
their return policy on the website.

Old February 10th 08, 01:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ogden Johnson III

flamestar wrote:

I bought a Insperion 1520. I asked for a system to play games and do
graphics. It does neither except at an very low level. I stupidly ask
for help by email and they strung me along, Finally I called and was
told I was told I only had 22 days to retrun their machine. I would
glady by a much more expencive machine but the pleasure of screwing me
excides their dirire to make money.

I guess I'll try to sell it on ebay.

One't upon a time, several years ago, it was 30 days. It hasn't
been for at least three-four years. People like me, who only buy
a computer at 3-5 year intervals, would be wise to check out not
only the specs of current machines as well as the current
reputation of the seller of those machines,but their return
policies - "no questions asked" and/or for cause - as well as
their warranties, and reputation for warranty service.

"I thought I had ..." says you missed on one piece of doing your
homework. How much of the rest of it did you do? Or did the dog
eat that, too?

--
OJ III
Old February 10th 08, 04:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 13:37:19 -0800 (PST), flamestar
wrote:

I bought a Insperion 1520. I asked for a system to play games and do
graphics. It does neither except at an very low level. I stupidly ask
for help by email and they strung me along, Finally I called and was
told I was told I only had 22 days to retrun their machine. I would
glady by a much more expencive machine but the pleasure of screwing me
excides their dirire to make money.

I guess I'll try to sell it on ebay.

Dell's policcy (I think it's unofficial) has been 21 days for a while
now.

I have had varying luck when something's 1 or 2 days after that. I
was able to return a 20" wide screen for full credit on a 24" wide
screen but it wasn't easy.
Old February 10th 08, 06:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

dell offers a 30 day return policy on their vostros systems, 21 days on
others, and 14 days from the outlet store. some other sales have different
policies like when you purchase servers from their 'priority sales' or some
such named group that give companies discounts by removing the ability to
return items altogether or get price adjustments (learned that one the hard
way but they ultimately did the right thing and i never bought from that
group again).

hp also has a 21 day return policy. gateway has a 15 day policy. don't
know about others... but it is always easy to check if you are not confident
that you will like your purchase.

i recently sold something on ebay with a 7 day no questions asked return
policy. emailed the seller when the item arrived and they said they were
pleased with how fast it arrived and how nicely it was packed. contacted
the seller 10 days after it arrived and they said they didn't install it
yet. told them that i would extend their return period to 14 days. did not
hear a peep until today, 30 days after their receipt of the item, they say
it doesn't work and want to return it. i don't think that is reasonable.
do you think dell or i should offer unlimited return periods?

Old February 10th 08, 08:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

wrote:

I bought a Insperion 1520. I asked for a system to play games and do
graphics. It does neither except at an very low level. I stupidly ask
for help by email and they strung me along, Finally I called and was
told I was told I only had 22 days to retrun their machine. I would
glady by a much more expencive machine but the pleasure of screwing me
excides their dirire to make money.

I guess I'll try to sell it on ebay.

Before selling it on ebay, use this as an opportunity to practice
assertiveness. At one time Dell had a "Special Situations" office. I
finally ended up there when I had one of my worst Dell Hell
experiences.

If you get someone in India that says you can't escalate, it's not
true. They are scripted to say that.

If you really want to make it fun (oops, Dell Hell is never fun) you
can pick a role and see how well you can act it.
Old February 10th 08, 07:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 01:04:59 -0500, "Christopher Muto"
wrote:

i recently sold something on ebay with a 7 day no questions asked return
policy. emailed the seller when the item arrived and they said they were
pleased with how fast it arrived and how nicely it was packed. contacted
the seller 10 days after it arrived and they said they didn't install it
yet. told them that i would extend their return period to 14 days. did not
hear a peep until today, 30 days after their receipt of the item, they say
it doesn't work and want to return it. i don't think that is reasonable.
do you think dell or i should offer unlimited return periods?

Question: what did you sell on e-bay? Just curious what you mean by
"install it". If it's software, I wouldn't let them return it. If
it's something else, I might. It depends on a lot of factors. You
certainly wouldn't be expected to let them return it. In my case I'd
probably take the individual's circumstances into account. If it's a
business owner for a business purchase, I'd definitely not let them
return it. If it's a struggling student and it's a large expense for
the person, I might let them return it. My motto for all my sales has
always been to make sure the buyer is happy, even though on some
occasions the buyer was unreasonable after the transaction.
Old February 11th 08, 05:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB

If you made the terms clear to the seller, then the seller is being
ridiculous.

Just curious: what did you sell?

Mel