Hitachi 9990 & MPXIO Performance

Old October 17th 05, 09:42 PM
Greg Brown

Default Hitachi 9990 & MPXIO Performance

Hello,

Just a quick info gathering. I am at a customer site installing a new
HDS 9990. The high level config overview:

HDS 9990 (Open V 40GB LUNS)
HDS 9200 (Legacy Array)
Sun Fire v880
Brocade 4100's (2 Fabrics)
QLogic 2GB Cards (375-3102) to new SAN
JNI FCE2-6412 cards to old HDS 9200 Array
MPXIO enabled and configured for Round Robin
VxVM 4.1
Oracle 9i

During this phased implementation, we are in the date migration stage.
We are mirroring the old storage, which is from a HDS 9200 to the new
LUNS on the TS (9990).
Once the mirroring is complete, we will break of the plexes from the
old array and be fully migrated to the new Hitachi.

The customer decided not to break the mirrors yet. We have noticed a
decrease in write and read performance on all the volumes on the host.
I would expect a slight decrease in write performance, however, we are
seeing upto a 1/5 milli-second increase in read time as well on each of
the volumes. My assumption is that because of the double writes to two
different (types) of LUNS, that is impacting our reads.

Suggestions?

Old October 18th 05, 01:36 AM
Faeandar

On 17 Oct 2005 13:42:10 -0700, "Greg Brown"
wrote:

[...]

What do you mean "types of LUN's"? Is one raid 5 and the other 1+0?

For 1/5 millisecond (isn't that like 20 microseconds?) could it be the
switch? A V880 will throw out alot of data.
It could also be cache getting in your way. If the algorithm is not
suited to your access you could be spending time seeking on spindles
and loading into cache data that doesn't matter to you.

Also, doesn't the Lightning line have an Oracle verification built in
somewhere? Like firmware or something. If so, and it's enabled, it
could be introducing latency.

~F
Old October 18th 05, 01:25 PM

The thing that comes to mind for me is the fact that you are migrating
from an old technology midrange array to a very highly scalable new
technology enterprise array. I imagine this means that the workload
previously supported by the 9200 is relatively low and probably not
enough to even register on the 9990. The 9990 should be capable of
supporting many times the workload of the 9200.

What tools are you using to measure disk I/O performance? Do you have
any tool to measure array performance? It would be interesting to know
the IO/s load and some cache utilization statistics.

Vic

Old October 18th 05, 02:23 PM
Greg Brown

That's a good point. I will check into the Ora Verification today as
well as the cache and update this posting. The type of LUNS are both
RAID-5, however the LUNS from the 9200 are spread across multiple
columns (6-8 disks per LUN) as opposed to the LDEVS from the TagmaStore
(9990) which comes from only 4 disks in the raid group. That could be
part (not all) of the issue.

Thanks for your help.

Greg

Old October 18th 05, 02:30 PM
Greg Brown

Hello Vic,

I am using vxstat to gather this information on a per Veritas volume
basis. I do not have any tool that I am using to gather performance
metrics from the TagmaStore 9990.

Thanks,

Greg

Old October 18th 05, 04:28 PM
Greg Brown

Something also to note is my Queue Depth setting we set on the host.
Currently I set the Queue Depth to 20 (/etc/system file set
ssd:ssd_max_throttle=20, rebooted of course). I calculated this number
by using the formula for the Queue Depth per fiber port on the
TagmaStore 9990, which is 1024, divided by the total number of LUNS
mapped to that port on the FED (Front End Director). On the Thunder
(9200) it is my understanding that the Queue Depth per fiber port is
256, so before our changes, it was set to: sd:sd_max_throttle setting
was 8. I am not sure why we decided to change the sd driver in addition
adding the ssd setting. The 9200 uses the sd driver and the 9990 uses
the ssd driver. What I would like to do is set the sd:sd_max_throttle
setting back to 8 and leave the ssd setting at 20 and see if this
improves performance. I think what we are seeing is that changing the
sd parameter, we are over queuing the JNI HBA's for the 9200 and that
is causing out read & write latency. This is one avenue I am exploring
at the moment.

Greg

Old October 18th 05, 04:43 PM
Greg Brown

Something also to note is my Queue Depth setting we set on the host.
Currently I set the Queue Depth to 20 (/etc/system file set
ssd:ssd_max_throttle=20, rebooted of course). I calculated this number
by using the formula for the Queue Depth per fiber port on the
TagmaStore 9990, which is 1024, divided by the total number of LUNS
mapped to that port on the FED (Front End Director). In this case: 1024
Queue Depth for the Fiber port divided by 58 total LUNS mapped to ports
7A & 8A which gives us 17.65 rounded up to 20. On the Thunder