How to setup a caching SSD?

Old August 8th 15, 10:09 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default How to setup a caching SSD?

So a friend of mine had a small 60GB SSD on his system, which just got
all filled up very quickly (obviously). So we replaced that with a nice
roomy 500GB SSD. Now there is also a 1TB hard drive on the system. Was
wondering if it's possible to repurpose the old 60GB SSD as a caching
SSD, to help speed up the 1TB HDD?

So far the stuff I've read about it, seems to indicate that there is a
piece of software from Intel called SRT that did this for Intel SSD's on
Intel processor & chipsets. Is there anything more generic available.
The SSD is not an Intel SSD, and the processor & chipset are from AMD.

Yousuf Khan
Old August 8th 15, 11:08 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Yousuf
Khan escribió:

as
wondering if it's possible to repurpose the old 60GB SSD as a caching
SSD, to help speed up the 1TB HDD?

Yes. Google ReadyBoost or press f1 and search for ReadyBoost.

ReadyBoost will only use up to 32GB of the 60GB SSD, but you can
partition it into two and dedicate each partition to ReadyBoost, or use
32GB for ReadyBoost and move the swapfile to the same SSD.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Old August 8th 15, 04:38 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Jason[_13_]

On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 11:08:30 +0100 "Mike Tomlinson"
wrote in article

En el artículo , Yousuf
Khan escribió:

as
wondering if it's possible to repurpose the old 60GB SSD as a caching
SSD, to help speed up the 1TB HDD?

Yes. Google ReadyBoost or press f1 and search for ReadyBoost.

ReadyBoost will only use up to 32GB of the 60GB SSD, but you can
partition it into two and dedicate each partition to ReadyBoost, or use
32GB for ReadyBoost and move the swapfile to the same SSD.

I tried that. ReadyBoost will not let you designate a second (third...)
flash memory device for caching if you have a primary SSD.
Old August 8th 15, 05:17 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo ,
Jason escribió:

I tried that. ReadyBoost will not let you designate a second (third...)
flash memory device for caching if you have a primary SSD.

Googling seems to suggest that there are ways of working around that.
But yes, I suspect ReadyBoost will be of limited value if the OS is
already on an SSD.

Like the OP, I had an old 60GB SATA2 SSD going spare that I wanted to
reuse. It's gone in an HP Microserver as the OS (CentOS Linux) and swap
drive, and the four front bays are filled with 2TB data drives
configured in RAID. That way, I can upgrade or replace the OS without
affecting the data drives. The SSD also fits neatly underneath the
optical bay so I can fit another data disc or an optical drive as
required.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Old August 8th 15, 07:18 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
pjp[_5_]

In article ,
says...

Khan escribió:

as
wondering if it's possible to repurpose the old 60GB SSD as a caching
SSD, to help speed up the 1TB HDD?

Yes. Google ReadyBoost or press f1 and search for ReadyBoost.

ReadyBoost will only use up to 32GB of the 60GB SSD, but you can
partition it into two and dedicate each partition to ReadyBoost, or use
32GB for ReadyBoost and move the swapfile to the same SSD.

I tried that. ReadyBoost will not let you designate a second (third...)
flash memory device for caching if you have a primary SSD.

The SSD is faster than the thumbdrive hence Windows stops using the
thumbdrive. Also can only use one device at a time for Readyboost. And
the size Readyboost uses seems to be same logic as the virtual memory
file size (basically file is size of installed ram). On an 8Gb
thumbdrive I have using a pc with 4Gb of ram it creates a 4Gb file, same
if I use a 16Gb thumbdrive instead.

I don't think what you would like to do is practical. At it's best I
suppose you could have some backup software running that would copy (and
delete it afterwards?) anything sent to the ssd onto the 1TB drive.
Problem there is "where is that file right now" if you want to first
copy it then have the backup software move it yet you also want to not
wait to access it.

Why not assign it a new drive letter, use it during the day and copy
whatever over to spinner drive before shutting down?
Old August 8th 15, 07:51 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ken Blake, MVP[_2_]

Khan escribió:

as
wondering if it's possible to repurpose the old 60GB SSD as a caching
SSD, to help speed up the 1TB HDD?

Yes. Google ReadyBoost or press f1 and search for ReadyBoost.

ReadyBoost will only use up to 32GB of the 60GB SSD, but you can
partition it into two and dedicate each partition to ReadyBoost, or use
32GB for ReadyBoost and move the swapfile to the same SSD.

I tried that. ReadyBoost will not let you designate a second (third...)
flash memory device for caching if you have a primary SSD.

It hardly matters. Except for those with minimal hardware
configurations, ReadyBoost is next to useless.
Old August 8th 15, 08:24 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 08/08/2015 2:51 PM, Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
It hardly matters. Except for those with minimal hardware
configurations, ReadyBoost is next to useless.

Yeah, so far most pages I've read have said ReadyBoost is useless and
should be avoided. They've instead suggested other products like: NVelo
Dataplex, FancyCache, and SuperCache. Anybody got any familiarity with
any of these things?

software rec - How can I use my small SSD as a cache for a larger hard
disk? - Super User
http://superuser.com/questions/39007...rger-hard-disk

Write caching SC Tom Gateway Computers 2 July 20th 10 11:32 AM
SSD and Caching Anwar Mahmood Storage & Hardrives 1 June 1st 08 01:15 PM
IO caching in Intel [email protected] Intel 2 September 19th 07 10:32 PM
REP instructions and TLB caching John Marcus Intel 1 October 22nd 04 06:23 PM
A question on write caching Robert Mischke Storage (alternative) 7 May 17th 04 04:25 PM