INTEL 875P / ABIT IC7 / ASUS P4C800: PAT with 4 RAM CHIPS Issue, Continued...

Old May 26th 04, 04:40 AM
tony010409020622@[email protected]

Default INTEL 875P / ABIT IC7 / ASUS P4C800: PAT with 4 RAM CHIPS Issue, Continued...

The issue is discussed here, Intel's reply is included:

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread...180#post338180
Old May 26th 04, 11:21 AM
Richard Hopkins

wrote in message

The issue is discussed here, Intel's reply is included:

Don't know if you read my reply to one of your previous posts Tony, but I've
had PAT working on an IC7-G, with four memory sticks, in the past. The board
seems to behave in a similar way to the Asus products you mention
lsewhere - i.e. you can only run at or near 200MHz memory bus clock to keep
performance mode, and memory timing issues also become critical (i.e. if you
run two sticks of Brand X, and two sticks of Brand Y RAM, your mileage may
vary).

Incidentally, as Intel doesn't make boards that can be overclocked, and
doesn't officially countenance overclocking, you can hardly expect to get an
answer out of them regarding the behaviour of their chipsets when used in
these scenarios.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Old May 26th 04, 12:00 PM
tony010409020622@[email protected]

On Wed, 26 May 2004 11:21:01 +0100, "Richard Hopkins"
wrote:

Don't know if you read my reply to one of your previous posts Tony, but I've
had PAT working on an IC7-G, with four memory sticks, in the past.... you can
only run at or near 200MHz memory bus clock to keep performance mode,
and memory timing issues also become critical (i.e. if you run two sticks of
Brand X, and two sticks of Brand Y RAM, your mileage may vary).

Hi Richard

You're correct, I had not yet read the other newsgroup where you said
the following:

Reading some of your other posts you seem to have got the idea that the IC7
won't run PAT with all four memory sockets populated, period. That isn't
accuratet. It will run with PAT enabled on four identical sticks of good
quality PC3200 at default (or moderately overclocked) speeds.

What you won't be able to do is overclock to the same extent you would with
two sticks while keeping PAT and eventually, stability. This, however, is
far from a "problem" that is unique to the IC7 series, it's been a factor
with virtually every motherboard and memory platform since the PC, and the
sport of overclocking, was created.

Richard, that is *exactly* the impression I had from reading in the
Abit forum: That the IC7 series boards would not enable PAT with all
four RAM slots in use, *period*.

No one on the Abit board ever mentioned PAT working with all 4 slots
in use. There may be a good reason for that: there's a very real
chance that they're all overclocking.

Since you seem to be having the success and stabilty I'm seeking with
an IC7-G, can I ask what brand and configuration of memory you're
using?

You may want to post on the Abit board, I have a feeling I'm not the
only one that thinks there's no way to enable PAT with all 4 slots in
use: http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread...threadid=51428

Thanks for your posts !!

Old May 26th 04, 02:45 PM
Richard Hopkins

Tony wrote in message...
Richard, that is *exactly* the impression I had from reading in
the Abit forum: That the IC7 series boards would not enable PAT
with all four RAM slots in use, *period*.

That's definitely not a correct summary of the situation.

No one on the Abit board ever mentioned PAT working with all
4 slots in use. There may be a good reason for that: there's a
very real chance that they're all overclocking.

Yep, eminently possible. You've also got the situation where most
enthusiasts will go for two sticks because they know this is the best option
as far as performance goes.

Since you seem to be having the success and stabilty I'm seeking
with an IC7-G, can I ask what brand and configuration of memory
you're using?

The one thing I will say right now is that I'm using two sticks at the
moment - two 512MB sticks of Corsair PC4400 to be exact. However, I'm also
running my PC at 270MHz FSB with a P4 2.6C and 1:1 CPU:memory bus.

The four stick configuration was a stopgap when I got my first IC7-G. The
memory would, I'm pretty sure, have been Corsair XMS3200. I found within a
very short amount of testing that while performance mode worked fine at or
around default memory bus speed, it was very quickly disabled as I raised
the FSB. However, with two sticks, as mentioned above, the system maintains
full performance when running well in excess of the chipset's design
parameters.