DELL Dimension graphics only 16bit ?

Old November 6th 03, 09:57 PM
Bob Planet

Default DELL Dimension graphics only 16bit ?

Hi,

DELL Dimension 2350. OS: W2K SP4.

The current graphics driver are installed, but it displays only 16bit
instead of 32bit (16mio colors).
The monitor is an original 17" Dell, about one year old. I also tried
another monitor (with another cable), result is the same: only 32k colors
instead of 16mio.

Reboots, changing from 32bit to 16bit and back in the settings, etc.: no
improvement.

Is this maybe a documentated bug or am I the only one with this problem?
Maybe it's a hardware-problem....?

Regards,
Bob
Old November 6th 03, 10:27 PM
Lester Horwinkle

You probably have the on-board Intel video. I don't know what the specs are.
But these are usually much less capable than a separate video card.

Maybe it can't do 24-bit or 32-bit ... only 16-bit. (BTW, this has NOTHING
to do with the monitor.)

But don't sweat it. Unless you doing photographic work, you'll not see much
difference.

Old November 7th 03, 12:37 AM
David H. Lipman

Bob:

What resolution are you at ?

The combination of the number of colours and the screen resolution is a direct result of the
amount of RAM. Since RAM is a constant (unless you can add more RAM to video card) the only
way to increase the number of colours is to reduce the screen resolution. So if you only
see 32,768 colours at 1024 x 768 you will be able to have 16 million colours if you reduce
the resolution to 800 x 600.

Dave

Old November 7th 03, 06:54 AM
Christopher Muto

the dimension 2350 has an intel 845gl chipset and integrated intel 3d
extreme graphics which is capable of 1800x1440 @ 85Hz max crt resolution or
2048x1536@60Hz max fp resolution and 32bit color.
http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...t+body_extreme
if you installed win2k youself be sure to also install chipset support and
the intel 845g/gl video driver all avail for download from support.dell.com