Start where?

Old February 7th 09, 02:31 PM posted to comp.hardware,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Neil Jones[_3_]

Default Start where?

Hi,

I have a disk from an old machine which were trashed. The disk is:

"20 GB - Seagate Model ST320014A".

I pulled the disks out a longtime ago. Now I want to retrieve the data
on this disk. Where do I start?

I got rid of all my desktop systems at home for about 3 years now and my
main computer is a laptop. With this in mind, how do I power the disk,
read/retrieve the disk contents? What kind of tools do I need?

Thank you in advance for any help.

NJ
Old February 7th 09, 04:05 PM posted to comp.hardware,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Bill Marcum[_2_]

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]
On 2009-02-07, Neil Jones wrote:

Hi,

I have a disk from an old machine which were trashed. The disk is:

"20 GB - Seagate Model ST320014A".

I pulled the disks out a longtime ago. Now I want to retrieve the data
on this disk. Where do I start?

I got rid of all my desktop systems at home for about 3 years now and my
main computer is a laptop. With this in mind, how do I power the disk,
read/retrieve the disk contents? What kind of tools do I need?

Thank you in advance for any help.

NJ

Look for a USB enclosure for the drive, or get a cheap desktop computer,
maybe a used one from a thrift store, with IDE hard disk connectors
(some newer machines only have SATA). If you get a used PC with no
operating system, you can boot it from a live CD such as the System
Rescue CD. Or you might be lucky and the old hard drive might be
bootable.

Old February 7th 09, 08:06 PM posted to comp.hardware,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
iws

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I have a disk from an old machine which were trashed. The disk is:
|
| "20 GB - Seagate Model ST320014A".
|
| I pulled the disks out a longtime ago. Now I want to retrieve the data
| on this disk. Where do I start?
|
| I got rid of all my desktop systems at home for about 3 years now and my
| main computer is a laptop. With this in mind, how do I power the disk,
| read/retrieve the disk contents? What kind of tools do I need?
|
| Thank you in advance for any help.
|
| NJ

If you are only interested in getting the data off the disk, Arno's
suggestion is the easiest and cheapest approach. I think a USB enclosure
would be wasted on such a small (by modern standards) drive.

PC power on - start, stop, start, stop, etc - eventually powers up spodosaurus Homebuilt PC's 10 December 27th 08 02:55 PM
Print Spooler won't start; dependent on lexbces.exe but that won't start either; So why? Nehmo Printers 7 July 26th 07 03:14 PM
PC Doesn't Start JJI General 1 September 4th 04 01:51 PM
MMC Won't Start John Q. Public Ati Videocards 2 October 11th 03 05:31 PM
OE won't start (XP Pro SP1 and OE6) Richard Dell Computers 2 July 11th 03 01:21 AM