RAID5 with USB pen drives.........................Opinions please!

Old April 14th 05, 10:27 PM
Boll Weevil

Default RAID5 with USB pen drives.........................Opinions please!

I have a bunch of these 64mb USB pen drives I've collected from various vendors
and conferences. Anyway, I was bored and thought.........Hey! why not RAID them
together! I'll go and buy a USB hub with as many ports as possible and fill up
the ports with my 64MB pen drives.

Now, I am wondeing what software I should use. I have windows xp at work. Only
think I can think of is Volume Manager for Windows. Anyother ideas?
Old April 15th 05, 08:59 AM
ben jackson

Boll Weevil wrote:
I have a bunch of these 64mb USB pen drives I've collected from

various vendors
and conferences. Anyway, I was bored and thought.........Hey! why

not RAID them
together! I'll go and buy a USB hub with as many ports as possible

and fill up
the ports with my 64MB pen drives.

Now, I am wondeing what software I should use. I have windows xp at

work. Only
think I can think of is Volume Manager for Windows. Anyother ideas?

Why not install Linux which is free to download and use the Linux LVM
tools ?

My colleague and I were joking about a similar thing a couple of months
back after collecting yet another free USB stick each from one of our
vendors. We were toying with the idea of creating a USB hedgehog style
SAN with many many USB sticks.

On a more sensible note the sticks were great for learning how the
Linux LVM works.

Regards

Ben

Old April 15th 05, 02:04 PM
James Lorenzen

In article , Boll Weevil
wrote:

I have a bunch of these 64mb USB pen drives I've collected from various
vendors and conferences. Anyway, I was bored and thought.........Hey!
why not RAID them together! I'll go and buy a USB hub with as many
ports as possible and fill up the ports with my 64MB pen drives.

Now, I am wondeing what software I should use. I have windows xp at work.
Only think I can think of is Volume Manager for Windows. Anyother ideas?

I saw a write up where a series of UJSB Floppy Drives were set up as a
RAID set. This was using a the Mac OS X which has the LVM built in.
;-)
Old April 15th 05, 03:00 PM
Boll Weevil

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:04:21 -0500, James Lorenzen
wrote:

I saw a write up where a series of UJSB Floppy Drives were set up as a
RAID set. This was using a the Mac OS X which has the LVM built in.
;-)

Yea... I've seen that too. Actually, that's what sparked up my idea.

Old April 18th 05, 05:10 PM

wrote:

I saw a write up where a series of UJSB Floppy Drives were set up as

RAID set. This was using a the Mac OS X which has the LVM built in.
;-)

Yea... I've seen that too. Actually, that's what sparked up my idea.

Someone's done it with iPod Shuffles as well.

http://www.wrightthisway.com/Articles/000154.html