Boot problems after new hardware!

Old September 27th 03, 05:30 PM
Timothy Lister

Default Boot problems after new hardware!

I recently added a new CD burner to my second IDE channel. Previously I
had my hard drive as the master device on ch1 whilst my CD-ROM was the
master on ch2.
I discovered that the only way I could add my new drive was as slave to
the CD-ROM on ch2, as any other combination lead to the boot process hanging
halfway through.
I'd taken care to use the correct cable plugs & jumper settings on the
back of the drives & from what I've read about hardware installation I can't
see why, as long as the jumpers are correct, I can't set up the IDE devices
as I please?
Is there some BIOS setting that I should investigate to set up new IDE
configurations & what is the most likekly cause of the faliure to boot W98
in any other config other than just adding the new device to a free space?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Old September 27th 03, 05:49 PM

Timothy Lister wrote:
[...]

You don't by any chance have CMOS setup as "None" for the master drive
on the secondary IDE controller, do you?? If it is, it will detect the
CD drive when it occupies the position but not the HD if NONE is
designated. If the slave position for the secondary IDE is AUTO
(anything other than NONE) it could account for why the HD is seen when
it occupies the slave position but not the master.

Ken

Old September 28th 03, 05:27 PM
Shep©

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:30:50 +0100, In this world we created "Timothy
Lister" wrote :

I recently added a new CD burner to my second IDE channel. Previously I
had my hard drive as the master device on ch1 whilst my CD-ROM was the
master on ch2.
I discovered that the only way I could add my new drive was as slave to
the CD-ROM on ch2, as any other combination lead to the boot process hanging
halfway through.

Are the Cdrom jumpers set to,"Cable Select"?
If so then the position the drive plugged into the IDE cable decides
Master/Slave.I prefer never to use this option on hard drives and
Cdroms when building as depending on the space in the box it can
restrict the physical position of the drives in the box.
Also try here,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/cdsetup.html
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/hard.html
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in jmx to reply
Old September 29th 03, 05:23 PM
Timothy Lister

Thanks for the advice peeps but the BIOS is set to auto detect all four
IDE channels & I took great care to ensure that the jumper settings on the
back of the drives were set properly.
As long as I was just adding my new drive into the vacant slave on ch2,
Win98 would boot up fine. If I tried any other combo such as CDrw master &
CDrom slave on ch2, the CMOS would see the drives correctly at the start of
the boot but the process would never finish! I got as far as the Win98 logo
but not as far as seeing my desktop!
From the logged boot, it looks as though it freezes whilst loading the
mouse drivers, although I'm not absolutely sure as being a complete newbie
at this, I don't really know how to interpret boot logs properly!
I've needed my pc for the last few days but when I have some time, I'll
try some of the suggestions from the superb sites that you've directed me
to! I wanted to understand what was causing my boot faliure as I'm also
going to attempt to replace my harddrive soon so the more I learn about the
IDE interface, the better!
Thanks once again!

Old September 29th 03, 07:26 PM
kony

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:23:28 +0100, "Timothy Lister"
wrote:

Thanks for the advice peeps but the BIOS is set to auto detect all four
IDE channels & I took great care to ensure that the jumper settings on the
back of the drives were set properly.
As long as I was just adding my new drive into the vacant slave on ch2,
Win98 would boot up fine. If I tried any other combo such as CDrw master &
CDrom slave on ch2, the CMOS would see the drives correctly at the start of
the boot but the process would never finish! I got as far as the Win98 logo
but not as far as seeing my desktop!
From the logged boot, it looks as though it freezes whilst loading the
mouse drivers, although I'm not absolutely sure as being a complete newbie
at this, I don't really know how to interpret boot logs properly!
I've needed my pc for the last few days but when I have some time, I'll
try some of the suggestions from the superb sites that you've directed me
to! I wanted to understand what was causing my boot faliure as I'm also
going to attempt to replace my harddrive soon so the more I learn about the
IDE interface, the better!
Thanks once again!

What system (motherboard, chipset) is this?

Have you tried a BIOS update?

If it works as slave, why sweat making it master?

IIRC, after the mouse the video driver is loaded, but I don't know
that this is any help to know.

On one Win98 system I used to have, think it was a TX chipset Gatway
OEM board, it was necessary to set both ATAPI (CDROM/RW) devices to
"none" in the BIOS, though Win98 still saw and used them fine. I
expect that prevented them from being bootable though.

Dave
Old September 29th 03, 08:19 PM
Shep©

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:23:28 +0100, In this world we created "Timothy
Lister" wrote :

Thanks for the advice peeps but the BIOS is set to auto detect all four
IDE channels & I took great care to ensure that the jumper settings on the
back of the drives were set properly.

Try changing from Auto to user and press the enter key and save on
exit.On some boards the auto option doesn't do a good job.
HTH

As long as I was just adding my new drive into the vacant slave on ch2,
Win98 would boot up fine. If I tried any other combo such as CDrw master &
CDrom slave on ch2, the CMOS would see the drives correctly at the start of
the boot but the process would never finish! I got as far as the Win98 logo
but not as far as seeing my desktop!
From the logged boot, it looks as though it freezes whilst loading the
mouse drivers, although I'm not absolutely sure as being a complete newbie
at this, I don't really know how to interpret boot logs properly!
I've needed my pc for the last few days but when I have some time, I'll
try some of the suggestions from the superb sites that you've directed me
to! I wanted to understand what was causing my boot faliure as I'm also
going to attempt to replace my harddrive soon so the more I learn about the
IDE interface, the better!
Thanks once again!

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in jmx to reply
Free songs download,

WinXP Boot problems *sigh* Martin General 2 August 30th 03 03:01 AM
WinXP Boot problems *sigh* - UPDATE - Help? Phrederik General 0 August 29th 03 04:41 PM
Boot Problems Cuzman General 1 August 19th 03 10:12 PM
2 weird problems during boot sequence - help Firebird81 General 0 August 12th 03 03:50 PM
Real hardware problem this time - computer won't boot Cyde Weys General 5 July 4th 03 02:55 AM