Very simple device to access Internet and send/receive messages

Old December 15th 08, 05:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
RF[_4_]

Default Very simple device to access Internet and send/receive messages

Hi Gurus :-)

I have a totally non-techincal friend who seems to
be allergic to regular computers. They beat his
ego to death ;-) He would love to keep in touch
with his scattered contacts, like me.

So, I am looking for a small simple device,
something like a typewriter with a hard drive and
a small acreen. It should be very easy to operate.
A cell phone would not be a solution.

Is there another newsgroup that deals with such
devices?

Information would be much appreciated.

TIA
Old December 15th 08, 06:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
A New Day

"RF" wrote in message
Hi Gurus :-)

I have a totally non-techincal friend who seems to be allergic to regular
computers. They beat his ego to death ;-) He would love to keep in touch
with his scattered contacts, like me.

So, I am looking for a small simple device, something like a typewriter
with a hard drive and a small acreen. It should be very easy to operate. A
cell phone would not be a solution.

Is there another newsgroup that deals with such devices?

Information would be much appreciated.

TIA

yes, its called a 12" notebook...........

Old December 15th 08, 02:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

RF wrote:
Hi Gurus :-)

I have a totally non-techincal friend who seems to be allergic to
regular computers. They beat his ego to death ;-) He would love to
keep in touch with his scattered contacts, like me.

So, I am looking for a small simple device, something like a typewriter
with a hard drive and a small acreen. It should be very easy to operate.
A cell phone would not be a solution.

Is there another newsgroup that deals with such devices?

Information would be much appreciated.

Getting an older computer sounds like just the ticket. If you can find
an early Pentium IV, or a late Pentium III machine with monitor and
network card, you should be set.

Seriously, how complicated is booting the machine up and clicking an
email icon on the desktop? If your answer is "too complicated," then
maybe email is out of their reach.

Old December 15th 08, 07:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
RF[_4_]

Grinder wrote:
RF wrote:
Hi Gurus :-)

I have a totally non-techincal friend who seems to be allergic to
regular computers. They beat his ego to death ;-) He would love to
keep in touch with his scattered contacts, like me.

So, I am looking for a small simple device, something like a
typewriter with a hard drive and a small acreen. It should be very
easy to operate. A cell phone would not be a solution.

Is there another newsgroup that deals with such devices?

Information would be much appreciated.

Getting an older computer sounds like just the ticket. If you can find
an early Pentium IV, or a late Pentium III machine with monitor and
network card, you should be set.

Seriously, how complicated is booting the machine up and clicking an
email icon on the desktop? If your answer is "too complicated," then
maybe email is out of their reach.

Come on..... there's a lot more to it than just:

Old December 15th 08, 07:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
A New Day

"RF" wrote in message
Grinder wrote:
RF wrote:
Hi Gurus :-)

I have a totally non-techincal friend who seems to be allergic to
regular computers. They beat his ego to death ;-) He would love to
keep in touch with his scattered contacts, like me.

So, I am looking for a small simple device, something like a typewriter
with a hard drive and a small acreen. It should be very easy to operate.
A cell phone would not be a solution.

Is there another newsgroup that deals with such devices?

Information would be much appreciated.

Getting an older computer sounds like just the ticket. If you can find
an early Pentium IV, or a late Pentium III machine with monitor and
network card, you should be set.

Seriously, how complicated is booting the machine up and clicking an
email icon on the desktop? If your answer is "too complicated," then
maybe email is out of their reach.

Come on..... there's a lot more to it than just: "booting the machine up
and clicking an
email icon"

that's all I have been doing since 1992...............desktop, laptop,
notebook, whatever.

Old December 15th 08, 10:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

"RF" wrote in message
Grinder wrote:
RF wrote:
[...]

Once the email account is setup
that's all one has to do.

Heck you could even put the email client in startup

Old December 16th 08, 03:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
NotMe

"RF"

:
: Seriously, how complicated is booting the machine up and clicking an
: email icon on the desktop? If your answer is "too complicated," then
: maybe email is out of their reach.
:
: Come on..... there's a lot more to it than just:
: "booting the machine up and clicking an
: email icon"

I know personally severel individuals with Down's Syndrum that can
accomplish that task.

Old December 16th 08, 04:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
RF[_4_]

NotMe wrote:
"RF"

: Getting an older computer sounds like just the ticket. If you can find
: an early Pentium IV, or a late Pentium III machine with monitor and
: network card, you should be set.
:
: Seriously, how complicated is booting the machine up and clicking an
: email icon on the desktop? If your answer is "too complicated," then
: maybe email is out of their reach.
:
: Come on..... there's a lot more to it than just:
: "booting the machine up and clicking an
: email icon"

I know personally severel individuals with Down's Syndrum that can
accomplish that task.

You guys have been in computers so long that the
memories of your hair-pulling and swearing, when
you started on your first computer, have long
since died.
Old December 16th 08, 06:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
NotMe

"RF" wrote in message
: NotMe wrote:
: "RF"
:
: : Getting an older computer sounds like just the ticket. If you can
find
: : an early Pentium IV, or a late Pentium III machine with monitor and
: : network card, you should be set.
: :
: : Seriously, how complicated is booting the machine up and clicking an
: : email icon on the desktop? If your answer is "too complicated,"
then
: : maybe email is out of their reach.
: :
: : Come on..... there's a lot more to it than just:
: : "booting the machine up and clicking an
: : email icon"
:
: I know personally several individuals with Down's Syndrome that can
: accomplish that task.
:
: You guys have been in computers so long that the
: memories of your hair-pulling and swearing, when
: you started on your first computer, have long
: since died.

My first computer was an IBM 1401 and used punch cards. The kid I'm talking
about is a 10 y.o. Downs child. She can use a computer and an email
application. More so she knows not to click on attachments. She was taught
to use the computer by her 13 y.o. sister.

Perhaps the difficulty is they don't want a computer? My neighbor is in his
80's and at one time designed rockets for NASA. Guy is a certified genius,
he just does not want to deal with a computer.

Old December 16th 08, 06:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

RF wrote:
You guys have been in computers so long that the
memories of your hair-pulling and swearing, when
you started on your first computer, have long
since died.

Grinder wrote:
What I'm saying is that the task of booting up a
computer and getting to an email program requires
much less knowledge than it does to run even a
simple email program.

You have to know about inbox/outbox, compose/send/reply,
bounced emails, addresses for starts, and stuff
like attachments and spam filters if you want to
be moderately capable. These are all concepts
that I've seen technologically challenged people
master. Once they were show the power switch,
starting up the computer and running the program
itself was never an issue.

My father will never learn to program a video
recorder. I know that's a cliche, but it's true.
He will never learn to use photo manipulation
software, even though he's an avid digital
photographer. He gets hung up on the concept of
file systems and file attachments. On the basics
of email, however, he has no difficulties because
it's easy and it's something he does every day.

The only advantage I can see in some sort of
dedicated devices is if you're in some sort of
"Brewser's Millions" competition. There's a
reason all attempts at Fisher Price computing
have failed--you end up pay more for less, and
it's not easier to use.