Help! PC wont start!!

Old May 17th 04, 09:31 AM
Andrew

Default Help! PC wont start!!

Hi There,

I have NO IDEA what is going on with my pc and any assistance would be
greatly appreciated. I've done pc help desk and support, but just
can't nut this out!

Basically, the PC won't boot at all anymore. Wont even boot to the
bios. I have power and the HDD's are spinning up. I've no num lock
light power. The monitor has power, but no image is displayed - not
even the video card firmware information. The CDRW sits and flashes
repeatedly.

Here's my specs:

AMD 2100XP
Gigabyte Motherboard Model: 7VRXP
256 Mb RAM "SYNNEX"
Seagate Barracuda ATA IV Model: ST360021A 60Gb
Seagate Barracuda ATA IV Model: ST380021A 80Gb
Leadteck WinFast A250 LE 64Mb Video Card (NVidia Chipset)
Lite-on 40x12x48 Speed CDRW

- The PC has has troubles booting for a little while, it wouldn't turn
on sometimes and on occasion it would reboot unexpectedly.
- Recently I reinstalled the OS (Windows XP SP1a) and was installing
DirectX 9.0b when the install failed. After that I couldn't see the
CDRW anymore and I was having some troubles with the video card
software.
- I re-installed the drivers a number of times, no good. I began to
have STOP errors. Something along the lines of IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
and PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. Tried to reinstall through windows and dos but
got STOP errors in install.
- Formatted OS Partition but still couldn't run install.
- Now no boot at all
- Replaced RAM, CDRW, Swapped HDD around, tried alternate IDE sockets,
alternate RAM sockets
- The only hardware haven't replaced is the mainboard and the v/card
through lack of spare hardware, the v/card is getting power as the
onboard fan is spinning.

Thanks a lot for any help, any ideas would be appreciated.

Andrew
Old May 17th 04, 01:32 PM
Bob Day

"Andrew" wrote in message
om...
Hi There,

I have NO IDEA what is going on with my pc and any assistance would be
greatly appreciated. I've done pc help desk and support, but just
can't nut this out!

Basically, the PC won't boot at all anymore. Wont even boot to the
bios. I have power and the HDD's are spinning up. I've no num lock
light power. The monitor has power, but no image is displayed - not
even the video card firmware information. The CDRW sits and flashes
repeatedly.

Start he

1. Make sure your CPU and case temperatures are OK, and
that the CPU fan, case fans, and any other fans are
working.

2. Shut down your computer and turn off power *at the
surge protector* (which cuts off standby power while
leaving your computer grounded) or unplug it. Take
the standard protections against static electricity
(wear a wrist strap or keep one hand grounded at all
times).

3. Open up your computer and dust it out. *Do not use a
vacuum cleaner* - it might cause static discharge.
Get some dust remover spray (RadioShack has it) and
a dust mask, and take your computer outside and spray
out the dust. Keep the end of the spray straw at least
six inches from any components and keep it moving so as
to avoid excessive thermal shock to the components.

4. Reseat all the modules, including the memory modules,
and cables inside your computer.

5. If your computer is a few years old, remove your CMOS
battery and check its voltage (or just replace it). In
any case, Clear CMOS (see your mainboard manual for how to
do it) and set up your BIOS again. If you can't boot your
computer at this point, you may have a power supply problem.

6. Run a few cycles of "memtest86" (download from
http://www.memtest86.com) to thoroughly check out your
memory. You should get zero errors.

7. Run a full set of hardware diagnostics. ("diag378.exe",
downloadable from ftp://ftp1.dell.com/diags, after a few
complaints, will run on most non-Dell computers.)
You should get zero errors.

-- Bob Day
Free "HomeSentinal" webcam surveillance software, now with
adjustable motion sensitivity, at: http://bobday.vze.com.

Old May 18th 04, 12:20 AM
DaveW

It sounds like your power supply unit has become unstable or failed. I
would try replacing it.

--
DaveW

Old May 24th 04, 09:19 PM
KHerring

"Andrew" wrote in message
[...]

Andrew,

You may not know this, but just about all power supplies have voltage
selector switch on the back of the power supply that can be changed to
115 or 220V.

As an IT Manager, I have on occasion the same problem your having
because someone by accident moved the selector to 220V.

Check this out. If that doesn't resolve your problem, then I would
suggest a new power supply.

Ken