A7N8X Delux cpu heat warning sound

Old November 18th 03, 01:21 AM
Chris R

Default A7N8X Delux cpu heat warning sound

Hello. I recently purchased a new setup including the Asus A7N8X Delux
and an Athlon 2600. After I got it all put together the system started
up just fine, so I installed os, drivers, etc. Then after a while of
being on (about 3 hours) I got the cpu overheat warning noise coming
from the mb. Now I'm getting this warning noise only a few minutes
after turning on the pc. Bios shows cpu at 40C and Probe shows it at
around 36C. MB temps are low as well. Here's some info:
- Athlon 2600 (using supplied heatsink/fan)
- No overclocking at all, CPU external freq. of 100MHz, freq
multiplier of 11.5
- Fan running at 3500 rpm
- 512M Corsair xms
- Win98SE

I searched all over and couldn't find any info about this which is why
I posted, please let me know of any links to info if there are some. I
also e-mailed asus, but I'm not holding my breath for a response any
time soon. Thanks much, I'm thoroughly confused!
Old November 18th 03, 03:28 PM
Chris R

I agree that with the fsb at 166 I would get the speed of the 2600
(which is 1900 MHz), however I was under the assumption that with the
speed lower than what the 2600 can achieve, I may get lower temps,
which is what I thought the problem was. The A7N8X manual says that
frequent high pulse sounds from the mb indicate that the cpu is
reaching temps that may damage it (I don't have the manual in front of
me, so I will double check that). This mb has C.O.P. (cpu overheat
protection), so that is what I believe to be the source of the high
pulse warning noises. Thanks for your response and I'll double check
the manual on that warning noise from the mb.

"Todd Howard" wrote in message ...
Your FSB is is 100 MHz and your multiplier is 11.5? Do the math....that
doesnt equal the clock speed of a XP 2600....your FSB should be 166, I
think, if it is a barton chip anyway, not sure what the multiplier of the
CPU is though...........And what CPU overheat noise is it? How do you know
it is the "CPU overheat noise"?
I have never heard of these mobos having an "overheat" noise....And probe
isnt the best utility but if it and the BIOS are showing those temps, I
think you have a different issue then overheating....
TH
m...

Old November 18th 03, 03:44 PM
stanmc

Chris R wrote:
----snip----

This mb has C.O.P. (cpu overheat
protection), so that is what I believe to be the source of the high
pulse warning noises. Thanks for your response and I'll double check
the manual on that warning noise from the mb.

-----snip

Yesterday (17 Nov 03) I decided to add a spare drive to my system (A7N8X
Dlx with Barton 2500). I didn't notice that one of the wires from the
Power Supply had gotten in the area of the CPU fan. I have a massive
Swiftech 462 Heatsink and a 92mm fan. I have six exhaust fans and one
intake fan aimed below the CPU at the AGP area.

I ran the unit for about 22 or 23 minutes when it finally shut down.
Since I was in the Adaptec BIOS and not in Windows I did not see the MBM
temps I would've seen if I had gone directly into Windows. The system
stopped. No noises though, save the clunk it makes when it shuts
everything off.

The Computer had been verifying the new SCSI drive and then Low Level
Formatting it. Pulled the wire out of the way of the CPU fan and waited
ten minutes. System started up again and seems to be running normally.
I'm off to buy a 92mm fan grill.

Hope you resolve the noise problems.

Old November 18th 03, 06:38 PM
dgk

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:44:40 GMT, stanmc
wrote:

Chris R wrote:
[...]

That is a very good point and one I never see written about. I did it
once also. Keep those wires away from the big fan.

Old November 18th 03, 08:12 PM
stanmc

wrote:

Chris R wrote:
[...]

I checked the cabling and wires, but when I closed the case wires were
moved in a way I didn't foresee. I'm also getting some cable ties and
pulling groups of wires together and making sure they stay out of the way.
Old November 18th 03, 08:46 PM
Chris R

Comments inline...

Yesterday (17 Nov 03) I decided to add a spare drive to my system (A7N8X
Dlx with Barton 2500). I didn't notice that one of the wires from the
Power Supply had gotten in the area of the CPU fan. I have a massive
Swiftech 462 Heatsink and a 92mm fan. I have six exhaust fans and one
intake fan aimed below the CPU at the AGP area.

I ran the unit for about 22 or 23 minutes when it finally shut down.

Just so I understand, it shut down because the mb thought the cpu was
overheating, so the mb shut your machine down itself?

Since I was in the Adaptec BIOS and not in Windows I did not see the MBM
temps I would've seen if I had gone directly into Windows. The system
stopped. No noises though, save the clunk it makes when it shuts
everything off.

The Computer had been verifying the new SCSI drive and then Low Level
Formatting it. Pulled the wire out of the way of the CPU fan and waited
ten minutes. System started up again and seems to be running normally.
I'm off to buy a 92mm fan grill.

I think I'm failing to understand your point in this post. I will
double check to make sure that the fan has an open area to "breathe"
in, but I think your problem is not related to mine. Thanks for the
post though!

Hope you resolve the noise problems.

Old November 18th 03, 11:10 PM
stanmc

Chris R wrote:
Comments inline...

[...]

Yes, the MB shut down the CPU using C.O.P. You mentioned noise. If you
look at the paragraph that begins Since I was in the Adaptec BIOS, you
will find that I said there were no noises. In other words, C.O.P. shut
it down, but without any abnormal noises. Maybe too much info, but there
is a reference to the noise problem.
Old November 18th 03, 11:40 PM
Chris R

The noise is part of the bios, not the mb, so you're correct. Anyways,
in the manual, under "Bios Beep Codes":
"High frequency beeps when system is working"
-- indicate
"CPU overheated; System running at a lower frequency"

Old November 19th 03, 12:58 AM
Chris R

This issue has been resolved - it wasn't even the pc it was my ups
making an alert sound because I had two machines running off it and it
must've been drawing too much power. Sorry about that - but thanks for
the help!

Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Overclocking 37 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
ASUS A7N8X Delux Motherboard ...which video card? ljg Homebuilt PC's 0 August 17th 03 11:53 PM
Sound Problem in A7N8X Deluxe... Rob Asus Motherboards 11 August 6th 03 02:03 AM
a7n8x dlx and sound (noise) problems Beemer Biker Asus Motherboards 1 August 5th 03 02:33 PM