Re-enable onboard video outputs after adding graphics card ?

Old December 11th 13, 02:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Short-Cut

Default Re-enable onboard video outputs after adding graphics card ?

Hello

I am researching building a new computer. Building a computer using
the latest Intel Haswell CPU motherboard. Mainly looking at the Z87
chipset based motherboards for clocking flexibility.

I notice the norm is to now have an integrated onboard GPU built in
with HDMI, DVI, and VGA outputs. Also, I've read that plugging in a
graphics card typically shuts off the onboard GPU outputs - with an
"auto" detect BIOS setting.

I have an existing PCI graphics card. I am wondering if I will be able
to transport it to the new computer.
Specifically, will I be able to re-enable the onboard GPU outputs in
BIOS to get a total of 4 display outputs? That is, 3 outputs from the
onboard GPU and 1 output from the PCI graphics card?

Thanks for you help,
Forrest

Old December 12th 13, 05:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Joe Allison wrote:
[...]

I don't believe it, but I just found an answer here.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-031040.htm

"Can I install an external PCI Express* graphics card
and use it in parallel with Intel graphics?

No, Intel graphics cannot be used along with an
external PCI Express graphics controller. Installing a
PCI Express graphics controller will disable Intel graphics."

I can't see why that would be the case.

And I thought people were enabling both, so
they could do QuickSync with the Intel GPU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicksync

Paul
Old December 13th 13, 06:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Short-Cut

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 22:16:53 -0500, Joe Allison
wrote:

[...]

Yes, my hopes aren't high.

I wonder if not only the motherboard must support such a capability,
but the video driver and windows support such a permutation as well.
Old December 13th 13, 06:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Short-Cut

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 00:24:23 -0500, Paul wrote:

Joe Allison wrote:
[...]

I had stumbled on that Intel FAQ web page too. Makes we wonder if
Intel wrote the driver for onboard video and can thus state
definitevily that adding a graphics card doesn't work - today.

Not familiar with QuickSync. Encoding / re-encoding, interesting. Had
no idea that capability was on the chip.
Old December 13th 13, 06:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

wrote:

[...]

It sure is nice to get conflicting information.

I downloaded a Sabertooth Z87 manual...

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...rtooth_Z87.pdf

and on page 3-32 (PDF page 98) it says:

iGPU Multi-Monitor

Allows you to enable both integrated and discrete
graphics for multi-monitor output. The iGPU shared
system memory size will be fixed at 64MB.

If that motherboard can do it, then check the manual
on the other Z87 motherboards. And this is why you
check those manuals, to get the "real scoop".

Maybe Intel just disables it on their own motherboards ?

Paul