Optical Drive Problems

Old July 1st 05, 02:36 PM
Vince

Default Optical Drive Problems

Running a XPS Gen4, with XPpro/Media Center.

When attempting to read a DVD that could be read in the past in the
DVD-writer, I am getting a blue screen of text and crashed PC. A CD
with audio files plays OK and the Word Perfect CDrom boots w/o
problems.

The error message on blue screen of text begins with:

"A device driver attempting to corrupt the system has been caught.
The faulty driver currently on the kernel stack must be replaced with
a working version. "

Tech Info:
STOP: 0x000000C4 ( 0x00000081, 0x84C846D0, 0x00000042, 0x00000000 )

Where am I to find a working version, etc. ?

Recently had problem with SONIC software. Reinstalled and both
RecordNow and MyDVD and also Cyberlink's PowerDVD start up w/o
problems

Any suggestions on how to repair this fault?

Regards,
de ~ Vince ~

Old July 1st 05, 03:55 PM
PC Medic

"Vince" wrote in message
[...]

There should be a little more to your error message that I am assuming you
left out.
I am guessing an issue with the DVD software conflict

Try this

Old July 1st 05, 06:10 PM
Vince

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:55:31 -0400, "PC Medic" wrote:

"Vince" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Yes, I left out what I thought was not too important, like contact
service administrator, go to F8 and Safe Mode...

Well, I placed a call to Dell Tech Support. After waiting for about
20 mins was told that I was connected into the wrong queue, since it
is an XPS. So, I was transferred, with minimal wait time.

Tech from India instructed me to use F8 key and then used regdit for
some lines in HKey Local Machine. "Lower filters" was then deleted
per his quidance.

That did not correct the problem fully. But, found that there was a
conflict MusicMatch Jukebox. That program was removed. Reading from
either drive is working OKay now. I have yet to try burning a CD or
DVD.