AMD & AMD2

Old February 11th 07, 10:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mofaz

Default AMD & AMD2

Are AMD & AMD2 the same? What socket is AMD2?

I'm in the market for a Socket 939 compatible motherboard, but many of
the motherboards I have looked at say in the title "AMD2". However,
whenever I read the specifications I see something like this:

CPU Socket: Type Socket AM2
CPU Type: Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 / Sempron

So, when I see the "Athlon 64" I become a bit confused. I'm not sure
if I should buy the motherboard because it clearly states that it is
compatible with AMD2.

Old February 11th 07, 11:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
www.interfacebus.com

On Feb 11, 5:29 pm, "Mofaz" wrote:
Are AMD & AMD2 the same? What socket is AMD2?

I'm in the market for a Socket 939 compatible motherboard, but many of
the motherboards I have looked at say in the title "AMD2". However,
whenever I read the specifications I see something like this:

http://www.interfacebus.com/Mother_B...m_Factors.html

AMD2 supports DDR2 memory

Old February 12th 07, 12:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SteveH

"www.interfacebus.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 11, 5:29 pm, "Mofaz" wrote:
Are AMD & AMD2 the same? What socket is AMD2?

I'm in the market for a Socket 939 compatible motherboard, but many of
the motherboards I have looked at say in the title "AMD2". However,
whenever I read the specifications I see something like this:

http://www.interfacebus.com/Mother_B...m_Factors.html

AMD2 supports DDR2 memory

Not to mention it doesn't take socket 939 CPU's

Old February 12th 07, 02:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Geoff

Senior executives need money to gas up the mercedes. How do they get $$$?

- Move from socket 939 to AM2 (and yes they are different, a 939 chip will
not work in an AM2 socket).
- Move monitors from DVI to 'display port' (coming).
- Go from AGP to PCIe.

.. . . an after your Vista system, with AM2, display port, and PCIe is
working. The new standards will be ready and guess what? You are out of
date again, time to buy new hardware.

-g

Old February 12th 07, 05:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Mofaz wrote:
Are AMD & AMD2 the same? What socket is AMD2?

I'm in the market for a Socket 939 compatible motherboard, but many of
the motherboards I have looked at say in the title "AMD2". However,
whenever I read the specifications I see something like this:

CPU Socket: Type Socket AM2
CPU Type: Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 / Sempron

So, when I see the "Athlon 64" I become a bit confused. I'm not sure
if I should buy the motherboard because it clearly states that it is
compatible with AMD2.

There are 37 example motherboards for S939 listed here. With pictures
if you want to look at them. An S939 processor is slightly older,
and uses DDR memory. AMD has reduced the pricing on these processors,
to try to get rid of them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Subcategory=22

There are 96 motherboards listed here for socket AM2. The AM2 processors
are the latest version, and they use DDR2 memory.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Subcategory=22

You will find both S939 and AM2 processors for sale, and you should
use great care to select a motherboard and a processor that will
fit in the socket. And since the processors use different kinds of
memory, you need to be using the right memory for your selection
as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S939 (939 pins, DDR memory)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM2 (940 pins, DDR2 memory)

"AnandTech reported that Socket AM2 system performance was
0-7% faster than Socket 939 equivalents, with most
applications about 2% faster"

HTH,
Paul
Old February 12th 07, 10:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
fwibbler

"Mofaz" wrote:

Are AMD & AMD2 the same? What socket is AMD2?

There is no such socket.
The company is called AMD.
Their current CPU socket is AM2 (no 'D')

I'm in the market for a Socket 939 compatible motherboard, but many of
the motherboards I have looked at say in the title "AMD2". However,
whenever I read the specifications I see something like this:

CPU Socket: Type Socket AM2
CPU Type: Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 / Sempron

Again, that's socket 'AM2'.

So, when I see the "Athlon 64" I become a bit confused. I'm not sure
if I should buy the motherboard because it clearly states that it is
compatible with AMD2.

There are less socket 939 boards to choose from now as AMD are pushing the
newer AM2 socket and have stopped making the 939 CPUs.

(At least, that's the case for the dual core CPUs and I wouldn't have
anything less than Dual core now)

Socket 939 CPUs were only made up to 4800 and the FX62.
All socket 939 CPUs (Dual core) are becoming hard to find new now.

If you are building a whole new system then I'd definately go the AM2 route
and definately buy a Dual core (X2) if you can afford it.
Cheers!

--
Graham
Website - http://www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk
Old February 12th 07, 01:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jeff

"fwibbler" wrote in message
news:gemini.jdcj5t001j6q4030k.thedoctor@thedeathzo ne.free-online.co.uk...
"Mofaz" wrote:

Socket 939 CPUs were only made up to 4800 and the FX62.
All socket 939 CPUs (Dual core) are becoming hard to find new now.

--
Graham

The FX62 is also an AM2, I believe that the FX60 was the highest speed on a
939 socket.

Old February 12th 07, 06:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
fwibbler

"Mofaz" wrote:

Socket 939 CPUs were only made up to 4800 and the FX62.
All socket 939 CPUs (Dual core) are becoming hard to find new now.

--
Graham

The FX62 is also an AM2, I believe that the FX60 was the highest speed on

939 socket.

Whoops! So it is.
Cheers!

Old February 14th 07, 10:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
otto

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 00:44:30 GMT, "SteveH"
wrote:

"www.interfacebus.com" wrote in message
roups.com...
On Feb 11, 5:29 pm, "Mofaz" wrote:
Are AMD & AMD2 the same? What socket is AMD2?

I'm in the market for a Socket 939 compatible motherboard, but many of
the motherboards I have looked at say in the title "AMD2". However,
whenever I read the specifications I see something like this:

http://www.interfacebus.com/Mother_B...m_Factors.html

AMD2 supports DDR2 memory

Not to mention it doesn't take socket 939 CPU's

This deal looked too good to me. Is it a typo or the right price ?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2
Processor - Retail
$325.00

I'd say socket 939 is over if you can get dual core 2.8ghz 1M cache
processors in AM2 for $325.