Burning audio to DVD?

Old September 23rd 03, 02:09 PM
dgk

Default Burning audio to DVD?

I realize this is a CDR forum but I've been doing something on CDs and
wondered how it would work on DVD. I collect live concert tapes, radio
broadcasts, studio outakes, etc. Just to clear up the morals, folks
doing this do not trade anything that is commercially available and we
make no money on this. I also buy plenty of commercial releases.

Anyway, usually I burn the stuff to CD in audio format, which I
realize is a less error-resistant format than just burning it as wav
files but it is playable. Plus there is no 2 second gap doing DAO
which is often important for live concerts. These are wav files and
not mp3s.

Can I do the same thing on DVD? Is there a specification for audio
burning that allows indexing by concert and track? I would guess that
I should be able to burn 400 or more minutes to a DVD. Is it easier to
extract the tracks as wav files than on the CDR side of things? Exact
Audio Copy is the way it's done on CDRs. Is there such a thing
necessary for DVD?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Old September 23rd 03, 08:03 PM
Mike Richter

dgk wrote:

Can I do the same thing on DVD? Is there a specification for audio
burning that allows indexing by concert and track? I would guess that
I should be able to burn 400 or more minutes to a DVD. Is it easier to
extract the tracks as wav files than on the CDR side of things? Exact
Audio Copy is the way it's done on CDRs. Is there such a thing
necessary for DVD?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

There is a potent specification for DVD-Audio, but it is not the same as
CD-DA. I have not found a player which would handle CD-DA format on a
DVD; they expect to see a DVD format on such a disc.

Unfortunately, consumer-level DVD-Audio programming is not yet in hand.

One solution is to write MP3s at low compression and use an MP3-enabled
player. An MP3 DVD-ROM will work in the computer without trouble.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old September 23rd 03, 08:50 PM
dgk

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:03:10 -0700, Mike Richter
wrote:

dgk wrote:

Can I do the same thing on DVD? Is there a specification for audio
burning that allows indexing by concert and track? I would guess that
I should be able to burn 400 or more minutes to a DVD. Is it easier to
extract the tracks as wav files than on the CDR side of things? Exact
Audio Copy is the way it's done on CDRs. Is there such a thing
necessary for DVD?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

There is a potent specification for DVD-Audio, but it is not the same as
CD-DA. I have not found a player which would handle CD-DA format on a
DVD; they expect to see a DVD format on such a disc.

Unfortunately, consumer-level DVD-Audio programming is not yet in hand.

One solution is to write MP3s at low compression and use an MP3-enabled
player. An MP3 DVD-ROM will work in the computer without trouble.

Mike

I don't mean burning the same format as on a CDR. I was just wondering
if there is a means of burning audio files to DVD rather than video
and audio.
Old September 23rd 03, 10:31 PM
Anonymous Joe

wrote:

dgk wrote:

[...]

You could always just burn the WAV files onto DVD as a data disc.

Check your DVD player to see if it does play WAV files burned onto data CD
(ISO9660). If it does, then, you can burn them just as a data DVD, and you
can get that 400 or so minutes of CD quality audio on there.

Just one extra note: DVD-Audio is something that will be a standard, but it
won't have CD quality, it will be better. My understanding as of now is
that it will be a 192kHz / 24-bit stereo format, compared with the 44.1kHz /
16-bit your so used to on those CDs. That should make it a better format,
but I'm not sure how much better. I don't think most people will tell the
difference.....74 minutes of this 192/24 audio takes up 4.7GB.

Old September 24th 03, 01:18 AM
Nobody_of_Consequence

/
16-bit your so used to on those CDs. That should make it a better format,
but I'm not sure how much better. I don't think most people will tell the
difference.....74 minutes of this 192/24 audio takes up 4.7GB.

The difference in audio quality is huge. Finally digital audio is nearly
as good as lp.

Old September 24th 03, 04:24 AM
Mike Richter

Anonymous Joe wrote:

Just one extra note: DVD-Audio is something that will be a standard, but it
won't have CD quality, it will be better. My understanding as of now is
that it will be a 192kHz / 24-bit stereo format, compared with the 44.1kHz /
16-bit your so used to on those CDs. That should make it a better format,
but I'm not sure how much better. I don't think most people will tell the
difference.....74 minutes of this 192/24 audio takes up 4.7GB.

DVD-Audio is not a format but a collection of formats, covering
compressed and uncompressed files at varying bitrates and so on.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old September 24th 03, 02:16 PM
wally

wrote:

dgk wrote:

[...]

DVD audio will be a niche product for the "golden eared" that
still insist lp records sound better than CD-DA. Anyone who
listens to MP3's won't likely pay the price premium for "better"
formats than CD-DA.

If there was any real world need or demand for DVD audio the RIAA
wouldn't be up everyones ass over sharing MP3's -- they'd instead
be using it as a lead-in to sell the DVD audio disks at much
higher profit margins than current CDs have. Just like they use
radio to sell records and CDs.

--wally.
Old September 24th 03, 02:30 PM
James Perrett

dgk wrote:

I realize this is a CDR forum but I've been doing something on CDs and
wondered how it would work on DVD. I collect live concert tapes, radio
broadcasts, studio outakes, etc. Just to clear up the morals, folks
doing this do not trade anything that is commercially available and we
make no money on this. I also buy plenty of commercial releases.

Can I do the same thing on DVD? Is there a specification for audio
burning that allows indexing by concert and track? I would guess that
I should be able to burn 400 or more minutes to a DVD. Is it easier to
extract the tracks as wav files than on the CDR side of things? Exact
Audio Copy is the way it's done on CDRs. Is there such a thing
necessary for DVD?

There is a specification for DVD-Audio but players aren't particularly
popular and therefore expensive. Many people do not realise that there
is also a high resolution uncompressed option for DVD video which can be
played on standard DVD players. The big stumbling block is finding
affordable software that will encode your audio. If you are happy
working at 44kHz or 48kHz then Pinnacle Studio will allow you to record
DVD's with just over 2 hours uncompressed PCM audio. I suspect that
other software may give you more recording time if you can choose a
lower video data rate.

Cheers.

James.
Old September 24th 03, 07:19 PM
Neil Maxwell

wrote:
One solution is to write MP3s at low compression and use an MP3-enabled
player. An MP3 DVD-ROM will work in the computer without trouble.

If you want to go this route, there's a good guide for high-quality
MP3 files at www.chrismyden.com. I use the LAME encoder with the
--alt-preset switch and the RazorLame front-end to convert WAV files,
and the quality is very good. So far, I can't distinguish the MP3
from the WAV files, and on live recordings, it's probably overkill.

Old September 25th 03, 08:29 PM
dgk

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:30:34 +0100, James Perrett
wrote:

dgk wrote:

[...]

If 44k quality works on CDs for 80 minutes, shouldn't DVDs be able to
use the same quality for (700mb4.7gig) around 480 minutes?