Sharing a printer

Old January 5th 09, 11:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Gill Julien

Default Sharing a printer

Hi everyone,

I have two computers with Trend-Micro Internet Sec

I have two computers with Trend-Micro Internet Security
installed on each on of them.

The 1rst one: Dell XPS420,Vista Home premium, Lexmark
C530 PS3 connected via the USB and a Linksys WRT54GL
wireless router.

the 2nd is a Dell XPS1530 laptop, Vista Home premium
and is part of my network.

My question: Why I can not print with the laptop (Dell XPS
1530) when Trend-Micro is on? I have to exit the Trend-
Micro on both computers for the printer to work, but I am
able to print with the Dell XPS420 irregardless if Tren-Micro
is on or not on either one of the computers.

Can you help?

Gill

--
Mr Gill Julien
230 Route 361

1.709.882.2021

Old January 5th 09, 12:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Gill Julien" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I have two computers with Trend-Micro Internet Sec

I have two computers with Trend-Micro Internet Security
installed on each on of them.

The 1rst one: Dell XPS420,Vista Home premium, Lexmark
C530 PS3 connected via the USB and a Linksys WRT54GL
wireless router.

the 2nd is a Dell XPS1530 laptop, Vista Home premium
and is part of my network.

My question: Why I can not print with the laptop (Dell XPS
1530) when Trend-Micro is on? I have to exit the Trend-
Micro on both computers for the printer to work, but I am
able to print with the Dell XPS420 irregardless if Tren-Micro
is on or not on either one of the computers.

Can you help?

Gill

You've answered your own question, really. Since you seem committed to
TrendMicro, shoot them an e-mail or check their support site FAQs.

Probably some easy answer about allowing communication w/the printer.

Any firewall that fights me within my only LAN is one I will not use.

Good luck.

Old January 5th 09, 03:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

this sounds like a problem with the firewall settings in your trend micro
program on either or both of the computers involved.
the firewall is blocking the traffic to or from the printer between the two
computer in what should be defined as a 'trusted' relationship.
you can turn off just the firewall section of trendmicro or you could edit
the firewall settings. this dell document may help... or you could look for
'help' in the application or on the trendmicro.com support site.
http://support.dell.com/support/topi...rsonalFirewall

Old January 5th 09, 04:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rich[_12_]

to S. Lewis: Good, then you don't have protection from miscreants trying to
get into your system!

Old January 5th 09, 05:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rich[_12_]

Gill:

You didn't state what type printer you are using.

I had a similar situation in an office here with two Dell PCs running XP Pro
and a shared Brother All-in-One with a built-in Ethernet interface.

There is nothing wrong with the Trend Micro Internet Security software,
contrary to what S. Lewis has said. It is doing it's job, keeping miscreants
out of your system and using your printer.

However, TrendMicro tech support sucks big time in terms of setting up their
firewall settings for print sharing. It is absolutely hopeless and
contacting them is useless since they tell you to look in their knowledge
base unless you want to make long distance phone calls.

If you have an All-in-One you will have to determine which computer ports
the printer is trying to accessing for printing, faxing, and scanning. Then
go into TM and under: Personal Firewall Controls/Personal
Firewall/Settings/Security Level of Firewall Profile/Advanced
Settings/Network Protocol Control you will manually have to add the new
device Descriptions with their port numbers. For simple printing all you
need is the Printer settings.

Brother had extensive documentation available for download regarding
networking for their products and which computer ports it uses. They gave
example instructions for configuring a Symantec firewall, but the
instructions were general because all I needed to know were the port numbers
and Protocol. You give them any Description name you want under the Profile
Settings.

Old January 5th 09, 06:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Rich" wrote in message
to S. Lewis: Good, then you don't have protection from miscreants trying
to get into your system!

Actually, I/he does.

Hardware router, plus Vista has its own incoming/outgoing firewall native.

A solution that is so good it won't allow you to access your LAN is not my
idea of a practical solution.

6 deadbolts on one door does not guarantee security.

Old January 5th 09, 06:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Gill Julien

Hi everyone,

I resolve this, do the following to change the firewall profile:

-Right click on the PC Cillin icon at the system tray ( beside the clock )
then click on " Switch Firewall Profile " then choose " Home Network ".

I got the a/m suggestion from Trend-Micro Tech Support and it did the trick.

Many thanks guys

Gill

Old January 5th 09, 08:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rich[_12_]

Ooooops, I didnt read his original post carefully!! However now I see that
was an almost identicle setup to what i was trying to do with the Brother's
predecessor printer which wasn't networked.

The problem is with sharing All-in-Ones across the network with Trendmicro
added.

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message
to S. Lewis: Good, then you don't have protection from miscreants trying
to get into your system!

Actually, I/he does.

Hardware router, plus Vista has its own incoming/outgoing firewall native.

A solution that is so good it won't allow you to access your LAN is not my
idea of a practical solution.

6 deadbolts on one door does not guarantee security.

Printer sharing - Is this possible John Smith[_10_] Dell Computers 10 April 20th 08 09:04 PM
printer sharing PWB[_2_] Printers 2 March 17th 08 06:53 PM
Sharing Printer Big John Printers 10 August 23rd 06 05:37 AM
sharing a printer Printers 0 January 25th 06 09:31 PM
sharing a printer Steffo Dell Computers 18 October 24th 05 12:04 PM