DriveImage 2002 unreadable CDs

Old April 7th 04, 05:34 AM
Rubens

Default DriveImage 2002 unreadable CDs

Hello

After burning a PQ Image directly to
to two CD-RWs using DriveImage 2002,
upon booting from its boot diskette,
it seems nothing can read the CD filesystem.

Nero 5.5 reports them as "Data CDs", and
even shows the correct used size in them,
but anyway is not able to show the files.

Trying to read in DOS shows a "CDR 101 -
Drive Not Ready" error.

In Windows, it keeps trying to read
forever.

Even DriveImage itself reports no files
in them, although the CDs generation
process completed without any error.

Do anybody can help ?

Thanks,

Rubens
Old April 7th 04, 08:47 AM
Brian K

If you have another partition on your HD you can write your image there, and
then burn it with Nero. More reliable than a direct burn, and faster. Make
sure you verify the image before burning.

If you are networked you can write your image to the other computer.

Brian

Old April 7th 04, 08:16 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Dan G wrote:

And never use CDRW media for backups, CDR only. RW is way too unreliable.

Wherever did you get that cockamamie idea? Do you dare to dispute Mikey
Richter?

=======================
From: Mike Richter (Acraptec Shill)
Subject: A note on Take Two
Date: 9/1/99

You may back up ... to a DCD-formatted erasable.
=======================

CD-RW media is good enough for backup - even when combined with the
supposedly *inherently* flaky, fragile, faulty, unreliable packet
writing format!!!

===================================
Did Mikey coin the term "erasable"?
===================================

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Slimeball)
Date: 5/17/02

I refer to "erasable"
=====================

How come you no longer use "I refer" after (5/17/02)?

Would that have anything to do with my pointing out these at that time?

-----------------------------
(From old cdrfaq)
Subject: [1-1] What's CD-R?

A related technology called CD-E (CD Erasable) is expected
to be available in late 1996.

[Note: It was recently decided to call this technology
"CD-Rewritable" instead of CD-Erasable" -- kwc]

-----------------------------
Subject: [2-12] How does CD-RW compare to CD-R?

CD-RW is short for CD-Rewritable. It used to be called
CD-Erasable (CD-E), but some marketing folks changed it
so it wouldn't sound like your important data gets erased
on a whim.

-----------------------------
Erasable CDs are a go, compatibility to come later
October 23, 1996
By John Poultney

The newly standardized CD-Rewritable format,
known until a month ago as CD-Erasable
-----------------------------

From: Mike Richter (Acraptec Shill)
Date: 9/1/99

You may back up ... to a DCD-formatted erasable.
=======================

CD-RW media is good enough for backup - even when combined with the
supposedly *inherently* flaky, fragile, faulty, unreliable packet
writing format!!!

The above was when Mikey was shilling for Take Two.

But then when the reports of DirectCD bugs started pouring in, the same
combination of cd-rw media and packet writing "format" that was good
enough for backup became LETHAL:

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Roxio Shill)
Subject: File Integrity Errors - DirectCD Bug?
Date: 10/15/01

Combining the flaky UDF fixed-length packets with
the tendency of erasables (particularly HS) to forget
is LETHAL for archiving.
=====================

Then again when Mikey was shilling for DirectCD, the reliability of
CD-RW media does not matter at all:

======================
From: Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum)
Subject: Keeping Old Data Disks Readable
Date: 2/28/04

Fixed-length packets create the least reliable, most fragile
format available for writing CDs.

However, they can still be read
if written to the standard (as DCD always has).
======================

---------------------------
Wow! What a Friggin' ****!
---------------------------

--------------------------------------
Old April 8th 04, 12:54 AM
Brian K

Out of interest I burnt an image to CD-RW discs today. I used PQ V2i
Desktop. It does the whole process in Windows, packet writing, and even
verifies the image, although changing discs into and out of the drive during
this process is like shuffling cards. There were no disc errors.

It works, but is labour intensive and I wouldn't suggest image writing to
CD's unless there were no other alternatives.

I've haven't tried this with DI 2002.

Brian

Old April 8th 04, 07:50 AM
Graham Mayor

My laptop requires 21 discs to backup and that only has a 40 gig hard drive.
No-one in their right mind would sit through that
Get yourself a USB2 hard drive and backup to that.
You can buy a USB2 5.25" box for under £50 (UK)
You can add a removeable IDE carrier to the box for about £8
and a 160gb drive costs about £70.
You can plug as many of the IDE carriers into the box as you wish. It's the
simplest means of expanding data drives you could think of and you don't
even have to open the PC.

--

Graham Mayor