Inspiron 1200 HD type??

Old December 25th 17, 07:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Default Inspiron 1200 HD type??

I have an Inspiron 1200 that's been my main
computer since new, that's showing signs of
crashes and BSOD's.

What kind of HD does it have? Conflicting
acronyms that I don't know the meanings of.

Possibility 1 get a new HD of the right type

Possibility 2 get an enclosure for the old HD and
access it via USB from another computer.

those possibilities seeming to cover whatever the
eventual cause of failure is.

Old December 26th 17, 02:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

Ron,

Wow! The Inspiron 1200 goes way back. It used older IDE drives, not the newer SATA ones.

One memory slot for DDR. Max memory is 1GB (in the slot) plus 256MB.

You can get much larger IDE drives than the original 30GB.

If you want to stop using the 1200, I would get a simple cheap cable and power supply to pull all the data off of the hard drive. After all, it is an old drive, and its impending failure may well be the cause of any problems you are seeing.

I have a few laptop IDE drives here and some 1GB DDR SODIMMs, if of any interest to you... Ben Myers

Old December 26th 17, 02:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Ben Myers wrote:

Ron,

Wow! The Inspiron 1200 goes way back. It used older IDE drives, not the newer SATA ones.

One memory slot for DDR. Max memory is 1GB (in the slot) plus 256MB.

You can get much larger IDE drives than the original 30GB.

If you want to stop using the 1200, I would get a simple cheap cable and power supply to pull all the data off of the hard drive. After all, it is an old driv

I have a few laptop IDE drives here and some 1GB DDR SODIMMs, if of any interest to you... Ben Myers

The event viewer shows occasional

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk5\D during a paging operation

It had been making the occasional click that the DVD drive makes when it resets so I took out the DVD drive but
it still gets the error occasionally. Maybe the \D has nothing to do with the CD/DVD drive. No clicks though
now.

Maybe it's just a bad sector on the HD? And the bad sector is in the swap area?

It would be nice if there's a simple fix.

Old December 26th 17, 03:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Is there a way to do a surface to surface copy
onto a new IDE drive?

I've only ever done regular formatted copies a
file at a time, which of course leave the new
drive needing an OS and all sorts of software
registration.

I'd have no idea what to buy to do surface to
surface.

Old December 26th 17, 07:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Ron Hardin wrote:

Is there a way to do a surface to surface copy
onto a new IDE drive?

I've only ever done regular formatted copies a
file at a time, which of course leave the new
drive needing an OS and all sorts of software
registration.

I'd have no idea what to buy to do surface to
surface.

After ten hours of work I've moved everything to a
latitude E5400.

A lot to get working. One tiny thing remaining is
to get Total Recorder working.

Note the header of this news item. It's a
Netscape from win95 running on the latitude.

Old December 26th 17, 11:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Monday, December 25, 2017 at 1:21:52 PM UTC-5, Ron Hardin wrote:
I have an Inspiron 1200 that's been my main
computer since new, that's showing signs of
crashes and BSOD's.

What kind of HD does it have? Conflicting
acronyms that I don't know the meanings of.

Possibility 1 get a new HD of the right type

Possibility 2 get an enclosure for the old HD and
access it via USB from another computer.

those possibilities seeming to cover whatever the
eventual cause of failure is.

Ron,

Best fix for a hard drive with a bad sector is to clone it to another drive.. For this, you need hardware to which both drives are attached, e.g. the drive inside the Inspiron 1200 and a drive connected to the 1200 via USB. Next, you need free cloning software such as Clonezilla or Partition Wizard, both of which can be set up to boot from a CD-ROM drive or bootable flash stick. The "surface to surface" copy is, in effect, a verbatim clone of the hard drive, including the operating system.
Old December 27th 17, 01:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Ben Myers wrote:

Ron,

Best fix for a hard drive with a bad sector is to clone it to another drive. For this, you need

hardware to which both drives are attached, e.g.
the drive ins

Thanks, filed away.

The new machine is almost, almost working and a
lot snappier too.

Total recorder doesn't like the flash player for
some reason, at least is says that. Probably
something else is wrong in the sense of having
gone obsolete and no longer working.

Old December 27th 17, 03:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Wade Garrett

On 12/25/17 1:22 PM, Ron Hardin wrote:
I have an Inspiron 1200 that's been my main
computer since new, that's showing signs of
crashes and BSOD's.

What kind of HD does it have? Conflicting
acronyms that I don't know the meanings of.

Possibility 1 get a new HD of the right type

Possibility 2 get an enclosure for the old HD and
access it via USB from another computer.

those possibilities seeming to cover whatever the
eventual cause of failure is.

Time to put that baby out to pasture.

I scored a primo condition refurb Latitude E6330 with 8 GB ram, 500 GB
hard drive, DVD burner, Win 10 64 Pro, and a real strong battery for
$159 delivered from NewEgg a few months ago.

I'm in an all-Mac office, but the price was so good I couldn't pass it up!

--
A gun is a lot like a parachute. If you need one and don’t have one,
you’ll probably never need one again.
Old December 27th 17, 11:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Time to put that baby out to pasture.

I scored a primo condition refurb Latitude E6330 with 8 GB ram, 500 GB
hard drive, DVD burner, Win 10 64 Pro, and a real strong battery for
$159 delivered from NewEgg a few months ago.

I'm in an all-Mac office, but the price was so good I couldn't pass it up!

Well the machine didn't do much but orchestrate what other machines are working on (math problems).
The world's fastest scratch-n-dent/refurbished Dell supercomputer array.

I snarfed away one of the other machines from the array and am now using it as the orchestra conductor.

I must say the browser is a lot faster though.

Old December 28th 17, 12:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Wade Garrett

On 12/27/17 5:17 PM, Ron Hardin wrote:
Time to put that baby out to pasture.

I scored a primo condition refurb Latitude E6330 with 8 GB ram, 500 GB
hard drive, DVD burner, Win 10 64 Pro, and a real strong battery for
$159 delivered from NewEgg a few months ago.

I'm in an all-Mac office, but the price was so good I couldn't pass it up!

Well the machine didn't do much but orchestrate what other machines are working on (math problems).
The world's fastest scratch-n-dent/refurbished Dell supercomputer array.

I snarfed away one of the other machines from the array and am now using it as the orchestra conductor.

I must say the browser is a lot faster though.

Huh?

--
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money
making it.

Old Inspiron 1200 replacement HD? Ron Hardin Dell Computers 4 July 26th 09 03:00 PM
HP LaserJet 1200: Print processor/data type Peer Måns Carlson Printers 1 September 10th 06 10:22 PM
$399 Inspiron 1200's & 2200's? Ron Hardin Dell Computers 1 May 7th 06 12:50 PM
Dell Inspiron 1200 [email protected] Dell Computers 5 November 19th 05 09:58 PM
HP LaserJet 1200 : Font - True Type Mode Voon Printers 3 October 1st 03 02:28 AM