Motherboard Needed

Old March 10th 10, 03:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

Default Motherboard Needed

On 3/10/2010 2:15 AM, kony wrote:
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 21:04:58 -0600, Grinder
wrote:

On 3/9/2010 5:49 PM, DwayneM wrote:

I have an HP in need of a new motherboard
specs are as follows

amethystM motherboard with ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 chipset
Processor with socket 939

I have pulled my hair out trying to find one on the web with no avail.
Was told by HP that all newer motherboards would need DMI loaded onto hard
drive..

I believe that statement to be horsesh*t. If their DMI is the same old
crud that was producing those code purple errors, it can easily be
circumvented.

http://www.billoblog.com/?p=152

Or, I'll wager that you can avoid it all together my just installing XP
from a generic OEM installer instead of a tattoo'd recovery disc.

Prefer to stay with what came with the PC. It's running XP (I know a
little old) but there are some very vital programs that I use that have
not been updated to VISTA or WIN 7 yet... can anyone Help

I should note that it's easy for me to say this, as I won't have to
suffer the consequences of being wrong.

Previously when I've had OEM installations or
discs/new-installs stop and ask for activation, I simply had
to call MS and read them the sticker off the OEM case label
and they gave me a (an extremely long) activation code to
make it work. In other words, I could have upgraded the
entire computer and they would have still given an
activation code... not that I advocate doing so since it's
against the Windows EULA, but for information purposes and
give the desire of the poster in this topic, that could work
no matter what motherboard was put into the system.

Agreed. What's more, internet XP activation seems to have relaxed a bit
in the last few months. Previously, using a generic OEM install on
certain manufacturer's PCs would require a phone call, but now it seems
to pretty much activate any key that passes the input validation.
Old March 10th 10, 04:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

wrote:

[...]

That must explain why my motherboard change didn't need a phone call,
when I did it recently. It was satisfied with Internet activation.
No phone call. And the install CD was store bought WinXP SP3 OEM. I was
expecting more of a hassle. Went from an Asrock board to a completely
different Asus (different chipset). Just the motherboard was changed out,
and the rest stayed the same. I used a PCI storage controller card, so
I didn't even need to do a repair install. (That was to ensure there were
drivers to read the disk on the upgraded system.) It gave me the
"three day warning", concerning activation. I was mentally prepared for
a rougher ride :-)

Paul
Old March 10th 10, 05:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Tinkerer

"Paul" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

As I understand it from looking though various forums, M$ don't actually
stipulate what is meant by another computer. They leave it up to the
manufacturer. Theoretically you could empty the entire case and put new
stuff in and it could still be regarded as the same PC. I have certainly
moved OEM versions from PC to PC and they have activated over the net every
time. It's a bit like the broom that has been in service for over 30 years
and only had four new heads and three new handles in all that time.
--
Tinkerer

Old March 10th 10, 09:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

On 3/10/2010 11:31 AM, Tinkerer wrote:
wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

I've had a policy explained to me from someone who picked up the phone
at 800-MIC-ROSO[ft].

"The" computer is essentially defined as the motherboard, unless the
mother board dies. An OEM should not transfer if you're just replacing
the motherboard for performance reasons. Luckily, in any situation
where I've needed to replace a motherboard, it has been from a failure
and an inability to find an exact replacement.

I can't say if this is anything beyond one entry-level tech's opinion,
but the phrase "motherboard died" does seem to be effective during phone
activations.
Old March 11th 10, 01:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT[_5_]

wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

When I 'decided' to pour hot tea over my laptop, Dell replaced the
motherboard and there was no issue over the XP license.

Old March 12th 10, 01:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:53:01 -0600, Grinder
wrote:

[...]

It is now MS's position that a change in motherboard,
besides one identical, constitutes a new/different system
the license is invalid for.

However, they can't change the terms of the license shipped
with the system after the fact. Seek the same (OEM), same
service pack version of the Windows installation CD and read
the EULA on it. If it states motherboard, it's the
motherboard. If not, it's not.

I suspect MS was trying to give people a little latitude in
repairing systems but didn't want people to upgrade their
entire system and reuse the same license. Even so, I think
there is still a fair argument from those who state it
should be the case instead of the motherboard considered the
cornerstone of what constitutes a system because they
permanently attached a tamper resistance sticker that is
supposed to be the system license certificate itself in/on
some cases.
Old March 19th 10, 05:42 PM
basumarpo1610 basumarpo1610 is offline
Junior Member

plz tell me ur configuration and expected brand name?