Upgrade XPS 410 from Home Premium to Ultimate - Anytime Upgrade

Old August 6th 07, 04:12 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dean[_3_]

Default Upgrade XPS 410 from Home Premium to Ultimate - Anytime Upgrade

Has anyone done an upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate by going into
Windows Anytime Upgrade applet in Control Panel? After you select a vendor,
you have the choice to have them send you an Anytime upgrade disc. Is this
required to complete the upgrade? Or can it be done completely on line.?

The OS disc that came with computer does not have Anytime Upgrade logo on
it. I read that Dell use to ship Anytime CD's with computers but stopped
doing it in March or April 2007. Does the OS disc take the place of the
Anytime upgrade disc?

Old August 6th 07, 05:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 23:12:51 -0400, "Dean" wrote:

Has anyone done an upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate by going into
Windows Anytime Upgrade applet in Control Panel? After you select a vendor,
you have the choice to have them send you an Anytime upgrade disc. Is this
required to complete the upgrade? Or can it be done completely on line.?

The OS disc that came with computer does not have Anytime Upgrade logo on
it. I read that Dell use to ship Anytime CD's with computers but stopped
doing it in March or April 2007. Does the OS disc take the place of the
Anytime upgrade disc?

Is there an upgrade, and not reinstall, path from Home Premium to
Ultimate? If so I am interested and will upgrade my Home Premium to
Ultimate in order to use Remote Desktop on it if the price isn't too
prohibitive.

I think I have been brainwashed a bit by this newsgroup because I am
considering sending MS money so that I am totally legal rather than
just install a copy of Vista Business on my Home Premium laptop. I
just can't bring myself to do it .....

Anyway I'll be watching this thread to find out more about this.
Old August 6th 07, 06:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 23:12:51 -0400, "Dean" wrote:

Has anyone done an upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate by going into
Windows Anytime Upgrade applet in Control Panel? After you select a vendor,
you have the choice to have them send you an Anytime upgrade disc. Is this
required to complete the upgrade? Or can it be done completely on line.?

The OS disc that came with computer does not have Anytime Upgrade logo on
it. I read that Dell use to ship Anytime CD's with computers but stopped
doing it in March or April 2007. Does the OS disc take the place of the
Anytime upgrade disc?

My 640m laptop bought earlier in the year and my X410 Desktop bought
earlier both came with the Windows Anytime Upgrade disk.

A XPS M1210 that I bought for myself ($630), a XPS M1210 that I helped
a friend buy (great price through the outlet w two 9-cells), and a
Latitude D520 that I helped a friend buy all were purchased later and
did not come with a Windows Anytime Upgrade disk.

The cost for me to upgrade my Vista Home Premium 1210 to Ultimate is
$159. I would love to upgrade it just to play with features like
drive encryption but I can't justify the cost. I also don't like the
complexity of not having a Vista Ultimate reinstall DVD after I do the
upgrade.

My experience matches what you said about Dell shipping the Anytime
CD's earlier in the year and stopping later in the year so I think
that's accurate.

Out of curiousity, what features in Ultimate make you want to upgrade?

P.S. -- if I just buy a retail version of Vista Ultimate, do I need to
go through the telephone activation of it if I installed it on my Dell
laptop, or does it act like a Dell Vista reinstallation CD?
Old August 6th 07, 07:40 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

Is there an upgrade, and not reinstall, path from Home Premium to
Ultimate? If so I am interested and will upgrade my Home Premium to
Ultimate in order to use Remote Desktop on it if the price isn't too
prohibitive.

IIRC Vista installs an image - exactly the same image - irrespective
of the version you buy. It's the licence code you use which determines
which of the features you're allowed to use, so you should be able to
simply enter a new licence code to "switch on" the rest.