P5K - Intel fan question

Old September 27th 08, 09:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Default P5K - Intel fan question

My cpu is an E8600 Core 2 Duo and the stock fan that comes with it is much
shorter than the fans that are included with the older 2.4 gig dual cores.

Would it be better to use the taller/heavier heatsink and fan? I assume
that the taller units were made for the hotter running core chips and would
think that it would keep the lower voltage E8600 cooler. Does anyone have
an opinion on this? TIA

--
-
Old September 27th 08, 12:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
BigJim

if your going to change the fan go to a good aftermarket one.
The core2 runs cooler than the dual cores.

Old September 27th 08, 03:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ed Medlin[_4_]

wrote in message
My cpu is an E8600 Core 2 Duo and the stock fan that comes with it is much
shorter than the fans that are included with the older 2.4 gig dual cores.

Would it be better to use the taller/heavier heatsink and fan? I assume
that the taller units were made for the hotter running core chips and
would
think that it would keep the lower voltage E8600 cooler. Does anyone have
an opinion on this? TIA

The best thing to do would be to check your temps. IIRC, the shorter fan is
also a radial fan that actually is more efficient than the taller one.
Unless you are doing some really serious overclocking, the stock Intel fans
work very well even for modest overclocking.

Ed

Old September 27th 08, 03:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
007[_3_]

"BigJim" wrote in message
. ..

if your going to change the fan go to a good aftermarket one.

What is a good aftermarket one for Q9550?

Old September 28th 08, 01:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

"Ed Medlin" ed@ edmedlin.com wrote:
wrote in message
My cpu is an E8600 Core 2 Duo and the stock fan that comes with it is
much shorter than the fans that are included with the older 2.4 gig
dual cores.

Would it be better to use the taller/heavier heatsink and fan? I assume
that the taller units were made for the hotter running core chips and
would
think that it would keep the lower voltage E8600 cooler. Does anyone
have an opinion on this? TIA

The best thing to do would be to check your temps. IIRC, the shorter fan
is also a radial fan that actually is more efficient than the taller one.
Unless you are doing some really serious overclocking, the stock Intel
fans work very well even for modest overclocking.

Ed

The taller fan I have I believe came with a Pentium D 945. It looks the
same as the shorter fan although the it is alot heavier. It looks to have
the same amount of fins and the same fan on it.

--
-