Dell Hybrid PC thoughts?

Old July 30th 08, 09:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Dell Hybrid PC thoughts?

What's everyone think of the new model?

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs
Old July 30th 08, 11:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
WSZsr

More that adequate for 99% of home users.

This is America so why do I have to press 1 for English??

Old July 31st 08, 05:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

strikes me as marketing hype. anything that uses an external 'brick' type
ac adapter powersupply (conspicuously not shown among the many photos) is
not what i would call 'green'. the as adapter is always burning power even
when the device is switched off. also, it seems quite expensive given the
processor power. perhaps i am missing something but i don't understand why
this is preferable to a laptop that could also provide utility as a
traveling device.

Old July 31st 08, 06:40 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
darkrats

Over priced, but I like the design. Probably good for email, browsing,
viewing multimedia and maybe some older games. But, only comes with Vista.
Dell won't provide XP as an option or provide drivers for XP. Can't
recommend it as is.

Old July 31st 08, 03:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

"darkrats" wrote:

Over priced, but I like the design. Probably good for email, browsing,
viewing multimedia and maybe some older games. But, only comes with Vista.
Dell won't provide XP as an option or provide drivers for XP. Can't
recommend it as is.

Really? you like it?

Here are my initials thoughts on pros vs cons:

Pros:

Love the energy efficiency! Phenomenal low energy
usage!

Love the connectors and such

Cons;

HATE the form factor! Why do computer makers think I
want some kind of odd ball shaped case design? Id
rather have a "business like" Optiplex form factor.\
next to my TV as a media PC.

Also... why the super slow 5400 rpm drives? No option
for 7400 rpm? Blech!

And..... what makes them think I want to use an
external TV tuner! Id rather have the TV tuner built
in or at least a slot for one!

Old July 31st 08, 03:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

wrote in message
"darkrats" wrote:

Over priced, but I like the design. Probably good for email, browsing,
viewing multimedia and maybe some older games. But, only comes with Vista.
Dell won't provide XP as an option or provide drivers for XP. Can't
recommend it as is.

Really? you like it?

Here are my initials thoughts on pros vs cons:

Pros:

Love the energy efficiency! Phenomenal low energy
usage!

Love the connectors and such

Cons;

HATE the form factor! Why do computer makers think I
want some kind of odd ball shaped case design? Id
rather have a "business like" Optiplex form factor.\
next to my TV as a media PC.

Also... why the super slow 5400 rpm drives? No option
for 7400 rpm? Blech!

snip

I suspect it uses a common 5400 RPM laptop/2.5" drive.

The cost difference to a 7200RPM is not insignificant - but you'd think
they'd at least provide it as an option.

Old July 31st 08, 04:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Dell must think that this is an idea whose time has come. I wonder if they ever
looked at the history of Ergo Computing, a local (MA) company, that hyped and
sold "The Brick", a slim computer just about the same size as the Dell "Studio
Hybrid", but without the fancy sculpted plastic, the cheap colored plastic skins
or the bamboo. Ergo lasted for a few years back in the 386-486 era, then closed
shop, and I went to the liquidation auction. Don't the so-called engineers at
Dell know that bamboo does not conduct heat well?

People who are serious about Windows could upgrade this computer to XP. The
chipsets are standard ones for which drivers can be found.

I am unimpressed, and that's an understatement. But, then, I am not a sucker
for glitz. Lot of sizzle here, and not much steak... Ben Myers

Old July 31st 08, 04:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
WSZsr

The average user prowls the internet, sends email, etc, Nothing too
demanding. Speed is not an issue. This is a very viable option for the
average user.

We are not average users

Old July 31st 08, 05:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
JayB

i think this is positioned to sit in a entertainment room and attach to
a tv. wouldnt be for the average users desk like the mac cube is.

i agree that it should be wider, skinnier, and made to match other
electronic equipment that might be in the entertainment system.

right now i have a full tower optiplex sitting next to me wide screen tv
in the den. it works great, just wish it was a skinny box the size of
my dvd player to sit under it.
was thinking of a poweredge rack mount.

fwiw, i like the look, but i think the price is too high and options are
limiting. not for me or my customers.