I need help from someone who has a clue... I certainly don't!!!

Old March 18th 08, 04:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Hank[_4_]

Default I need help from someone who has a clue... I certainly don't!!!

My objective is to drive an external 22" monitor with a
high resolution signal via a DVI cable from a laptop,
while simultaneously producing a usable image on the
laptop's screen.

I found settings in the NVIDIA control panel that will
generate 1280x800 on both, or 1680x1050 on the external
monitor with a blank screen on the laptop, but have not
found the magic recipe that I need. I have tried various
combinations of settings, and the only way to get the
high-res signal to the external monitor seems to be by
making it the ONLY monitor.

Laptop: Sony SZ6
CPU: T7700
RAM: 4GB
HD: 160GB hybrid
Resolution: 1280x800

External monitor: Acer AL2216W
Resolution: 1680x1050

Video card: NVidia GeForce 8400M GS

Is my goal achievable? I did try this with an analog
connection, with the same unhappy results.

Thanks.

Old March 18th 08, 06:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Hank[_4_]

To further complicate the equation, I discovered a
combination of NVIDIA control panel settings that
displays the desktop graphics on my laptop, with the
high resolution imagery on the monitor! That's useless,
but interesting.

Also, I forgot to mention that the OS is Vista Business.

Hank
Old March 18th 08, 06:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Hank wrote:
[...]

It's up to the laptop on how to do it, one laptop I had almost 20 years
ago required a CTRL + F4 keysequence to activate the external port, then
activate both the display and the port, then back to just the display,
at any time during operation too, very nice.

The 8400M GS is capable of driving both, you just have to RTM to find
the secret method, ask Sony or google your model.
Old March 18th 08, 07:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Hank wrote:
[...]

In terms of docs, the new control panel mentions "Multiple Display Wizard",
with no details.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Window...tart_Guide.pdf

The older "Nview" control is documented here. Page 88 shows "dual view", "span", and "clone"
as options. The text description of "dual view", sounds the closest to what you want to do.
And then the question is, what options are offered by the "Multiple Display Wizard"
in the new software.

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/Qu...sers_Guide.pdf

Paul
Old March 18th 08, 07:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jeffrey Kaplan

Previously on alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Hank said:

My objective is to drive an external 22" monitor with a
high resolution signal via a DVI cable from a laptop,
while simultaneously producing a usable image on the
laptop's screen.

It's not totally clear: Are you looking to clone the display at a
different resolution, or are you looking to get a different display at
a different resolution? If the second, are you looking to have it
treated as one display (spanning the task bar) or two separate ones
(taskbar on one display only)?

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"The future is always changing. We create the future with our words,
our deeds, and with our beliefs." (Lady Ladira, B5 "Signs and
Portents")
Old March 18th 08, 11:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Hank[_4_]

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
Previously on alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Hank said:

My objective is to drive an external 22" monitor with a
high resolution signal via a DVI cable from a laptop,
while simultaneously producing a usable image on the
laptop's screen.

It's not totally clear: Are you looking to clone the display at a
different resolution, or are you looking to get a different display at
a different resolution? If the second, are you looking to have it
treated as one display (spanning the task bar) or two separate ones
(taskbar on one display only)?

Sorry! I want to 'clone' the display, but at a different
resolution (max on each of the screens). Isn't that
possible?
Old March 19th 08, 12:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jeffrey Kaplan

Previously on alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Hank said:

Sorry! I want to 'clone' the display, but at a different
resolution (max on each of the screens). Isn't that
possible?

I've never tried it, but I doubt it. Simply because the resolutions
don't match. But you should be able to run the larger screen at the
same resolution, getting the same display, bigger.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" -
Charles Darwin, 1871
Old March 19th 08, 01:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Hank[_4_]

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
Previously on alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Hank said:

Sorry! I want to 'clone' the display, but at a different
resolution (max on each of the screens). Isn't that
possible?

I've never tried it, but I doubt it. Simply because the resolutions
don't match. But you should be able to run the larger screen at the
same resolution, getting the same display, bigger.

I've achieved that - same resolution to two displays.

I have also managed to get the big screen to generate a
high-res presentation of the work I'm doing
(magnificent!), while the laptop screen is producing
only the desktop graphic - also in high res. Two
different resolutions, two different images. It seems to
me that is harder to do than two different resolutions
with the same image.
Old March 19th 08, 01:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"Hank" wrote in message
My objective is to drive an external 22" monitor with a high resolution
signal via a DVI cable from a laptop, while simultaneously producing a
usable image on the laptop's screen.

I found settings in the NVIDIA control panel that will generate 1280x800
on both, or 1680x1050 on the external monitor with a blank screen on the
laptop, but have not found the magic recipe that I need. I have tried
various combinations of settings, and the only way to get the high-res
signal to the external monitor seems to be by making it the ONLY monitor.

Try setting it up using Dualview in Vista (I presume, given the laptop) You
can horizontally span with 2 different resolutions in Dualview.

Old March 19th 08, 07:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Hank[_4_]

Augustus wrote:
"Hank" wrote in message
My objective is to drive an external 22" monitor with a high resolution
signal via a DVI cable from a laptop, while simultaneously producing a
usable image on the laptop's screen.

I found settings in the NVIDIA control panel that will generate 1280x800
on both, or 1680x1050 on the external monitor with a blank screen on the
laptop, but have not found the magic recipe that I need. I have tried
various combinations of settings, and the only way to get the high-res
signal to the external monitor seems to be by making it the ONLY monitor.

Try setting it up using Dualview in Vista (I presume, given the laptop) You
can horizontally span with 2 different resolutions in Dualview.

Dualview sorta kinda works. There are two different
resolutions, and both are optimum: both screens are
terrific. HOWEVER, the primary monitor shows my
workspace (MSWord, etc.), while the other shows ONLY the
naked desktop without anything else. There is no Taskbar
bar across the bottom, no icons on the desktop, no
sidebar on the right, and no documents/etc. regardless
of what is loaded. It doesn't matter which is primary...

Very strange. Two resolutions and two images, but the
wrong image on one of them...

Any clue ? padutou General 4 June 10th 05 02:42 PM
I have a clue ... Wieslaw Printers 3 January 21st 05 08:35 PM
Got me, have no clue Doug Homebuilt PC's 2 September 11th 04 12:18 AM
Is this a clue?? Judie & Randy Gehman Dell Computers 4 July 26th 04 04:28 PM
Anyone a clue on the RTA for the 939 boards? Cerridwen General 2 May 5th 04 03:23 AM