i950 will not print

Old July 4th 07, 04:09 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Default i950 will not print

Michael Johnson wrote:
It wouldn't matter if you did use quality non-OEM inks.

There is none and it is very difficult to tell if one is better than the
other because there are no brands to follow in the market place.
Ink apparently isn't the cause of your problem as is the case with
99.9% of all printer errors. You might want to check the contacts for
the print head but it sounds like something more serious. It might be
time for a new printer. The good thing is that printers are
relatively inexpensive nowadays since their prices are subsidized by
the outrageous cost of OEM ink.

Alpha One wrote:
Canon brand all the time. I removed the tanks, and the head, nothing
to it, as I have done before. Tanks full, new head from Canon. Not
even signs of ink on the other side of the head. The printer goes
trough the process as if it were printing.

"measekite" wrote in message
t...
Are you currently using and have you always used Canon OEM ink.

Alpha One wrote:
I have a Canon i950 printer that was working very well except for a
slight streaking. After I cleaned the head several times using
maintenance it got a little better. I decided to take the heads off
and use a damp paper towel I placed against it to see if it cleaned
it better. I tried this 3 or 4 times, and it was getting better.
However, the forth time I put it back on the printer it didn't
print anything at all, nothing. I assumed it was me that ruined the
head so I ordered a new one directly from Canon (cheaper that
anywhere else on the Net that I could find).
The problem is that with the brand new one it prints absolutely
nothing as it was with the old one.
Any idea what it could be? The printer should be working fine, I
see no reason for it not to be. I also removed and reinstalled the
drivers just to make sure it wasn't it.

Tony

Old July 4th 07, 04:12 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

wrote in message ...

[...]

Tony Regrettably I suspect the purge unit has failed. This unit is the part that flushes the printheads during a printhead cleaning operation, it does so by applying suction to the printhead. Without that suction your new printhead cannot be primed and will produce no, or at best very little, output. Purge units can be difficult to replace but not always. Having said that I don't know exactly how easy or hard it is to replace the purge unit in this model. The service manual for the i950 is fairly pathetic, the parts manual gives more information than the service manual. The part number for the prurge unit is QG4-0303-000. If you decide to take the plunge and buy a purge unit please e-mail me, I will provide any help I can. Tony MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Why would he waste his time and do that when he can get a new IP4300 relatively inexpensive and have a better unit than he now has.
Old July 4th 07, 04:33 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

another guess is the ink cartridge is the problem. Even OEM inks are
defective every once in a while. Check the expiration on the box of
the catridge. Also, I would return open ink cartridge to the store
and get a new one. At least that won't cost you anything and it will
answer another question.

If all else fails, make sure you sell you parts on ebay.

stan

Old July 4th 07, 06:39 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
frank

Branwynn wrote:
Alpha One originally wrote he had streaking problems with his i950.

The Measekite troll asked "Are you currently using and have you always
used Canon OEM ink?"

Alpha One replied "Canon brand all the time."

Had Alpha One stated he used aftermarket ink the Measekite troll would
have been all over him with statements like "You get what you pay for",
"aftermarket ink clogs your printhead", "the ink is to blame it ruined
the printer, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

But because Alpha One had only used Canon's own ink, the Measekite troll
immediately shut up (didn't dare blame OEM ink) and suggested Alpha One
instead "replace it with a new (and improved) Canon IP4300". Obviously
the old printer (was unimproved and) probably died a natural death. But
it's more fun to blame aftermarket ink when you're a troll instead of
looking for the real cause of failure. So much for troll logic!

I was laughing so uncontrollably I had to have someone slap me into
coherence.

hehehe...good one! You've got his number.
Frank
Old July 4th 07, 06:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt

"Branwynn" wrote in message
[...]

In addition, newer is not always "improved." Canon claims better fade
resistance with their new inks, but if the output of the i950 pleases Alpha
One, why buy the newest model? Since I haven't seen any posts from MK (why
would I, as I have him killfiled) that he has decided to upgrade from his
ip4000, I will assume that "older technology" suits him just fine! I will
keep my i960 printers running as long as they can, even replacing printheads
if that becomes necessary, as the output is beautiful and I can easily
refill the carts with any one of the three quality aftermarket inks that
have most often received good reports on this NG.

Old July 4th 07, 07:40 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Stan, I think you were right.

Old July 4th 07, 07:55 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Michael Johnson

Burt wrote:
"Branwynn" wrote in message
[...]

They will have to pry my Canon BCI-6 based printers from my cold dead
fingers. If they ever die I plan to call Canon and try to get them
repaired. If this is possible they will send you a refurbished one in a
flash. I don't even care if they charge me MSRP for the printer because
I'll make that back in the first two sets of OEM cartridges that I
DIDN'T buy. Heck, I can buy a new print head for less than the cost of
a set of OEM cartridges. The economics of using after market ink isn't
hard to understand.

As for print quality, the i960, iP4000, MP780 and N2000 more than meets
our needs for all the color printing we do. We haven't had one fading
issue for for any of our home made prints but I don't keep them on the
dash of my truck either. If I did I would just print a new one since we
have digital copies of our photos on the computer and on backup disks.
IMO, fading is an issue only for those that sell prints.
Old July 5th 07, 02:10 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Barry Watzman

Not likely to be a driver problem. Try cleaning the printhead contacts
(on both the printhead and the printer) with an alcohol wipe.

Old July 5th 07, 07:15 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
frank

measekite wrote:

After reading this I can now understand why Bush got elected.

Cause he uses after market inks! hahahahahahaha...
You proly have a hard time understanding why you're trying to understand
anything.
Understand?
I doubt it!
Frank

i950 print head no one Printers 35 June 9th 05 08:37 PM
Canon i950 Print Problem! BoB-B Printers 9 April 20th 05 07:36 AM
Buying an I950 Print head UK? JL Printers 0 February 6th 04 06:16 PM
Canon i950 - any way to print on 8.5 X 14 paper Chris Erdt Printers 2 October 15th 03 02:53 PM
Canon i950 - any way to print on 8.5 X 14 paper Chris Erdt Printers 0 October 15th 03 05:56 AM