New version of nTune version 5.05.38.00 released April 26, 2007

Old April 27th 07, 07:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

Default New version of nTune version 5.05.38.00 released April 26, 2007

nVidia released a new version of nTune, 5.05.38.00 released April 26, 2007.
Prior to this release nTune did not work correctly on my EVGA 680i
motherboard. The 'tune' function (algorithm for seeking best overclock) did
not work at all. Now 'tune' does work but I'm still not sure how useful
this function is. At the least it will adjust settings that may not be
familiar to overclockers who have not used an nVidia chipset motherboard
before. In addition, fan control and temperature settings and reports seem
to have better functionality.

I will follow up after more work with this version. So far all it has
accomplished is raising the PCI-E bus speed by 15%.

Phil Weldon

Old April 27th 07, 08:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Jack R

Hi Phil,
I just looked at the nVidia site today, and did not see this.
Do you have a direct link to the download?
Thanks,
Jack r

ink.net...

Old April 27th 07, 08:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Jack R

Found it!
http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.38.00.html

Old April 27th 07, 08:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
don't look[_2_]

"Jack R" wrote in message
[...]

Here you go.From Guru3d.

Old April 27th 07, 10:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Jack R

On my ASUS P5N-E mb (650i chipset), it fails to display any voltages, it
shows my fan speeds (with none being controlled) as CPU 307rpm, System
12,800rpm, nForce 121 rpm (may be controlled on video card), Aux 1 25,971rpm
and Aux2 as 25,931rpm. I have two case fans, one not connected to the MB.
The only temp it shows is for the GPU1, at 65 - 72C (!).
My case is running ~42 - 45C, and a temp probe on the hottest point on the
video pc board shows 45 - 46C
I think, in my case, they have more work to do.

Old April 27th 07, 11:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

'Jack R' wrote:
| On my ASUS P5N-E mb (650i chipset), it fails to display any voltages, it
| shows my fan speeds (with none being controlled) as CPU 307rpm, System
| 12,800rpm, nForce 121 rpm (may be controlled on video card), Aux 1
25,971rpm
| and Aux2 as 25,931rpm. I have two case fans, one not connected to the MB.
| The only temp it shows is for the GPU1, at 65 - 72C (!).
| My case is running ~42 - 45C, and a temp probe on the hottest point on the
| video pc board shows 45 - 46C
| I think, in my case, they have more work to do.
_____

Yes, I agree. I get slightly more functionality, but even worse bugs.

The 'tune' function works (marginally) but only when all the BIOS settings
are set to [AUTOMATIC]. It locks up frequently, and the system must be shut
down. This can happen when only the most minimal adjustments are made by
the 'tune' function.

The SPD read function does not work.

Only two temperatures (CPU and System) are reported.

Only three fans can be controlled manually (CPU and System, chipset
temperature and fan do not appear.

Probably the worst limitation is that the 'System Stability Test' that the
'tune' function seems to use loads only one CPU, and that not very heavily.

nMonitor reports three temperatures that seem to be reasonable; at idle I
get
CPU: 36C
System: 41 C
GPU1: 52 C
(1200 MHz FSB, 2.7 GHz CPU, 1.325 V core default)
and three fan speeds
CPU: 2163 RPM
System: 5443 RPM
nForce: 4975 RPM
(all set to manual and 100%.)

None of these reported speeds react when the fans are physically stopped!

nTune is a heavily advertised 'advantage' claimed by nVidia. It clearly
does not work with 6XX motherboards. My patience is wearing thin. I
imagine my calls to EVGA and nVidia on Monday will have lots of company.

Phil Weldon

Old April 28th 07, 01:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Jack R

[...]

You're getting better results than I am, but still poor.
Please let us know if you get any results in contacting EVGA and nVidia.
Thanks,
Jack R

Old April 28th 07, 04:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

The best I can do with my E4300 is 2.7 GHz with a 1200 MHz FSB and a 1200
MHz memory bus (1:1 FSB : memory bus ratio, 1:2 CPU clock : memory clock);
CPU core voltage 1.250 VDC, memory voltage 2.3 VDC.

The temperature and even voltage reports by nTune and nMonitor are flakey
enough to be unusable for further overclocking.

The nVidia 'Stability Test' is completely useless as it loads only one CPU
core and that to only 50% (THAT confirmed by 'Task Manager'.

I have not found any temperature/voltage/fan speed monitor that is
completely satisfactory.

At the moment stable operation at greater than 3 GHz is not possible with
stock air cooling, and operation over 3.2 GHz is not possible even at idle.

So the 2.7 GHz operation at less than stock core voltage seems the best way
to go while I explore memory system performance using benchmarks like
3DMark06 to discover how high memory bus speeds handle heavy CPU and GPU
loads.

If nMonitor and nTune versions that actually WORK become available, then
good. If the results are not significantly better, then I'll consider an
E6600 or whatever seems interesting as an experiemnt, then sell either the
E4300 or E6600. But first I'll bug EVGA and nVidia and try to get them to
deliver what they promise.

Phil Weldon

Old April 30th 07, 03:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
[email protected]

Phil Weldon wrote:
nVidia released a new version of nTune, 5.05.38.00 released April 26, 2007.
Prior to this release nTune did not work correctly on my EVGA 680i
motherboard. The 'tune' function (algorithm for seeking best overclock) did
not work at all. Now 'tune' does work but I'm still not sure how useful
this function is. At the least it will adjust settings that may not be
familiar to overclockers who have not used an nVidia chipset motherboard
before. In addition, fan control and temperature settings and reports seem
to have better functionality.

I will follow up after more work with this version. So far all it has
accomplished is raising the PCI-E bus speed by 15%.

Phil Weldon

There is another useful nvidia app - NVPerfHUD
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/n...e.html#reviews

"NVPerfHUD is a powerful performance analysis tool that gives you
unparalleled insight into how your application uses the GPU. It allows
you to analyze your application from a global view to individual draw
calls, providing numerous graphics pipeline experiments, graphs of
performance metrics, and interactive visualization modes."