Computer trouble

Old March 12th 07, 02:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Computer trouble

Hey, I'm currently building my own computer at home and am having some
trouble getting it to work. The only parts I have installed are the
motherboard, processor, power supply, CD/DVD-burner, and of course the
case. Everything when I bought it complied with each other's
standards, but now when everything is hooked up correctly and I hit
the power button nothing happens. I don't think that there's an issue
with the power supply as i do see a green led on the M/B when the
power supply is plugged in and connected. Even when this light is on
the computer will still not turn on and operate. NOTE: I do not have
any memory hard drive or monitor.

Here are the links to all of the specification to the things I have
bought:

Case:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...R-CUSA&cpc=SCH

Mother board:
not sure

Processor:
Intell Celeron D 3.33 Ghz Processor

Old March 12th 07, 03:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RussellS

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Well, you're not going to get very far without any memory installed. Maybe
just some immediate beeping alarm from the motherboard. If you see
absolutely no sign of anything powering up, even a momentary fan movement,
when pressing the case's power button, first check to see that you've hooked
up the power button wiring correctly onto the motherboard's header pins for
it. Are the main motherboard ATX 20/24 plug and 12v 4/8 plug inserted
correctly into the motherboard?

I guess the power supply switch is turned to the on position, else you
wouldn't be getting a green LED lit up on the motherboard. If there is a
voltage selector on the back of the power supply, is it switched to the
proper voltage for your country? You could try momentarily shorting the
power button header pins on the motherboard instead of having the button
wires attached, just to rule out a faulty/loose power button connection.
Are you sure the CPU is installed correctly? Is the motherboard mounted
correctly with proper standoffs and screws and is anything shorting out the
motherboard to the case that shouldn't be making contact otherwise? What
power supply are you using?

Check off these questions, then let us know if anything solved the issue.

-Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

Old March 12th 07, 10:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DaveW[_2_]

You HAVE to have memory installed to test it.

--

DaveW

___________
oups.com...

Old March 12th 07, 11:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael Hawes

"DaveW" wrote in message
. ..
You HAVE to have memory installed to test it.

BULLSH!T 111 Fans should run and POST beeps for 'No Memory' Does not
need optical drive connected.

Mike.

--

DaveW

___________
oups.com...

Old March 19th 07, 12:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Mar 11, 11:11 pm, "RussellS"
rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replace"dot"with". " wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

-Russellhttp://tastycomputers.com- Hide quoted text -

Ok thanks for your helpful advise but sorry to say it still doesn't
work.
But there is still some hope left. I don't know what the :"main
motherboard ATX 20/24 plug and 12v 4/8 plug" is.
Could you please post a clarification of this for me? Here are some
picture of the computer I'm trying to make are he

http://theworldsstuff.rapidboards.co...topic=48&st=0&

Old March 19th 07, 05:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
w_tom

On Mar 18, 8:43 pm, wrote:
Ok thanks for your helpful advise but sorry to say it still doesn't
work.
But there is still some hope left. I don't know what the :"main
motherboard ATX 20/24 plug and 12v 4/8 plug" is.
Could you please post a clarification of this for me? ...

Almost nothing previously posted would have been helpful. For
example, both a good and a bad power supply could cause that light to
illuminate and fan to spin. Memory is not required to perform your
test. The 20 or 24 pin connector and the 4 pin connector from power
supply would be plugged into motherboard per motherboard manual.

Meanwhile, speaker must be connected to motherboard and you have
absolutely no doubt that speaker is connected correctly. Speaker,
CPU, motherboard and power supply is all you need to conduct a
simplest test.

Still no one has any idea what is and is not working. Do we just
replace parts? Even auto mechanics no longer do shotgunning. You are
building a computer to learn. Now is how we learn. Get a 3.5 digit
multimeter from stores that also sell another necessary tool - the
screwdriver. Long before testing or replacing anything, instead, use
two minutes and this procedure to confirm power supply 'system'
integrity. Yes, 'system'; not just a power supply. Procedure is in
"When your computer dies without warning....." starting 6 Feb 2007 in
the newsgroup alt.windows-xp at:
http://tinyurl.com/yvf9vh

Your numbers must exceed limits in that post. Post those numbers
here for additional information.

Usual response is fear because a meter sounds complex. Well an Ipod
is many times more expensive and more difficult to use. Meter is so
simple as to be sold even in K-mart for $20. Other retail sources are
Lowes, Wal-mart, Sears, Radio Shack, Home Depot, and others ...
because computer analysis requires both a screwdriver and numbers from
the meter.

Is voltage selector wrong? Just another of maybe 50 'suggestions'
immediately made irrelevant in only two minutes with the meter. Once
meter numbers are provided, then other useful solutions may follow.
Even those pictures are useless. Without numbers, then replies will
remain just as helpful.

Old March 19th 07, 11:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael Hawes

"Michael Hawes" wrote in message

"DaveW" wrote in message
. ..
You HAVE to have memory installed to test it.

BULLSH!T 111 Fans should run and POST beeps for 'No Memory' Does not
need optical drive connected.

Mike.

--

DaveW

___________
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You DO have a heatsink fitted? Not shown in picture on your website.

Mike.

Old March 20th 07, 11:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RussellS

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 11, 11:11 pm, "RussellS"
rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replace"dot"with". " wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I've been away from the newsgroups for a few days. The pictures you posted
at your linked page are too dark and blurry to make anything out, but it
looks like you don't have a heatsink installed for your processor. You say
you don't know which motherboard is installed? The "main motherboard ATX
20/24 plug and 12v 4/8 plug" that I mentioned would be the two main power
supply sources that are supposed to plug into your motherboard. Depending
upon your motherboard and power supply, you may have a 20-pin main power
plug (2 rows of 10) or a 24-pin main power plug (2 rows of 12.) The 12v
plug would be either 4-pin or 8-pin, depending upon your particular
motherboard and power supply. While I can't make out from the picture which
power supply you're using, it doesn't look like any mainstream brand I've
seen. If you could post back with your motherboard model and power supply
model, maybe we can offer additional help.

Russell
http://tastycomputers.com