DVD Writer IDE Transfer Mode Problem

Old January 8th 07, 05:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Zach

Default DVD Writer IDE Transfer Mode Problem

Hello,

I just upgraded from a Pioneer DVR-104 (worked good but only burnt at
2x, took 25 mins for a dvd) to a Pioneer DVR-111. When I try to burn a
DVD, it burns at 12x but has to pause all the time because the device
buffer empties faster than it can be filled. The buffer on my computer
is at 95-100% the whole time. What's going on? This new DVD writer
takes 50 minutes to burn 1 DVD!

I returned the first DVD writer to newegg for a replacement and the new

one does the same thing. Earlier, I was given the following
information:

"It could be the transfer mode of the cd drive, or better said: the
transfer
mode of the IDE channel being used.

Go to the device manager.
Open up the Primary or Secondary IDE channel (depending on the
connection
you used).
Make sure that (translating from dutch now..) data transfer mode(?) is
set
to "DMA, if available", and *not* to "PIO".
Just below that option is the real transfer mode being used.
If you had to change the mode, it should indicate DMA or Ultra-DMA mode

after a reboot.

Windows sometimes completely ruins these settings.
In worst case, if you can't change the transfer mode, you'll have to
remove
the Pri. or Sec. IDE channel from the device manager and reboot to let
windows redetect and reload it with fresh settings."

So I tried following the above instructions. When I look at my primary
IDE channel, the transfer mode of Device 0 (the master, which is a
regular DVD-ROM drive that works fine) is on "Ultra DMA Mode 2". The
transfer mode of Device 1 (the slave, which is my DVD-RW drive that
isn't working correctly) is on "PIO Mode" even though it is set to "DMA
if available". Even if I uninstall the Primary IDE connection and
reboot, I always get "PIO Mode" for my dvd burner.

One more thing to note is that when I turn on my computer, I get an
error in DOS before windows boots. It says:
"Drive 5 not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-1 (PRI IDE Slave)
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility"

which is referring to my dvd burner. Please help if you know what's
going on here.

Thanks,
Zach

Old January 8th 07, 05:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Zach wrote:
Hello,

I just upgraded from a Pioneer DVR-104 (worked good but only burnt at
2x, took 25 mins for a dvd) to a Pioneer DVR-111. When I try to burn a
DVD, it burns at 12x but has to pause all the time because the device
buffer empties faster than it can be filled. The buffer on my computer
is at 95-100% the whole time. What's going on? This new DVD writer
takes 50 minutes to burn 1 DVD!

snip

Thanks,
Zach

What is the make and model number of the motherboard ?

Paul
Old January 8th 07, 06:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RussellS

Hi Zach,

It sounds like it's likely one or more of the following:
1. A motherboard BIOS setting for the IDE1 slave port that needs to be
changed (common with Dell BIOS menus, if your computer happens to be a
Dell.) You'd press the F2 key during the initial POST routine, then when in
the BIOS (CMOS) Menu for the motherboard, you'd have to enable the primary
IDE slave device there, then save settings and exit. Dells (and some other
major tier one vendors) can likely have unused shipping IDE ports set to
disabled by default, whereby you'd have to enable the port in the BIOS menu
and reboot.
2. The new DVD burner's rear jumper setting is set incorrectly. Move the
jumper to the "slave" position if it's set in the shipping master position
and the other drive sharing the cable is jumpered as a "master", or move the
jumper to the "CS" (cable select) position if it's set in the shipping
master position and the other drive sharing the cable is jumpered as "CS".
3. The IDE data cable itself could be bad. If you have a spare 80-wire
40-pin UltraATA (Cable Select) cable, try replacing the installed one.

I hope this gets you up and running.
--
-Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

oups.com...

Old January 8th 07, 11:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

"Zach" wrote in message
[...]

The HD drives should always be connected to the _primary_ IDE controller,
and the optical drives (CD-DVD) should always be connected to the
_secondary_ IDE controller.
This is actually printed on my Asrock motherboard.
Always jumper the first drive as master (drive with the cable socket
furthest away from motherboard), and the second drive as slave (drive with
the the cable socket nearest motherboard).
Use the jumpers as described _on each individual drive_. There is no
standard configuration for them.

Sylvain.

Thanks,
Zach

Old January 9th 07, 02:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
"Zach" wrote in message
[...]

Wrong.

This is actually printed on my Asrock motherboard.

Its just plain wrong.

Always jumper the first drive as master (drive with the cable socket furthest away from
motherboard), and the second drive as slave (drive with the the cable socket nearest motherboard).

That isnt necessary either.

The only thing that matters is that if cable select isnt used,
and there is just one drive on the cable, it should be on the
end connector to prevent a stub on the end of the cable.

Use the jumpers as described _on each individual drive_. There is no standard configuration for
them.

What is seen with optical drives is pretty common.

Old January 9th 07, 03:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shepİ

On 8 Jan 2007 09:29:21 -0800 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With Yang
then "Zach" sent this :

[...]

Place one Optical drive on one IDE chain and the 2nd one on the other
IDE chain.IDE drives cannot read and write at the same time if on the
same IDE chain thus slowing them down to sometimes less than half
their optimal speeds and without DMA enabled they will be slower
again.
Also,
If this is winXP then install at least SP1 but better still SP2 and
then try to re-enable DMA mode
Device Manager/IDE-ATA controllers section Primary and Secondary and
then re-boot.

To check that all drives are in DMA mode use the free small
NeroInfotool,
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=download.html
can be run from within the .zip file and check the Configuration tab.

A 650 meg CD takes around 5 mins to burn on my system depending on the
speed of the disk/media speed.

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...m?bandID=88558
Old January 9th 07, 04:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

Shepİ wrote
Too Much Ying and you will Pay With Yang then "Zach" wrote

[...]

No need.

IDE drives cannot read and write at the same time if on the same IDE chain

Correct, but the software used for burning doesnt attempt to do that.

thus slowing them down to sometimes less than half their optimal speeds

That is just plain wrong when burning. There's a buffer for a reason.

Those who dont bother with your prescription dont get the effect he is getting.

and without DMA enabled they will be slower again.

Different matter entirely.

Old January 9th 07, 09:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
"Zach" wrote in message
[...]

It may not be necessary; but it's advisable, in the first instance.

The only thing that matters is that if cable select isnt used,
and there is just one drive on the cable, it should be on the
end connector to prevent a stub on the end of the cable.

Use the jumpers as described _on each individual drive_. There is no
standard configuration for them.

What is seen with optical drives is pretty common.

Hello Rod.
I don't mind you disagreeing with me in the least, as you do with some other
people in this group.
But I do mind that you don't appear to come up with a solution to the
various problems posed by original posters.
How about _answering_ an original poster's question, instead of correcting
other posters.
Well?
We'll think much better of you (whether you care or not), if you come up
with answers that prove to be correct.

Sylvain.

Old January 9th 07, 10:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote
Zach wrote

[...]

And its just a helpful labelling, not a requirement.

Always jumper the first drive as master (drive with the cable socket
furthest away from motherboard), and the second drive as slave
(drive with the the cable socket nearest motherboard).

That isnt necessary either.

It may not be necessary;

It certainly isnt necessary.

but it's advisable, in the first instance.

Wrong. It makes no difference which drive goes on which
connector when there are two drives on the ribbon cable.

The only thing that matters is that if cable select isnt used,
and there is just one drive on the cable, it should be on the
end connector to prevent a stub on the end of the cable.

Use the jumpers as described _on each individual drive_. There is no standard configuration for
them.

What is seen with optical drives is pretty common.

Hello Rod.
I don't mind you disagreeing with me in the least, as you do with some other people in this group.

You have always been, and always will be, completely and utterly irrelevant.

What you might or might not mind in spades.

But I do mind that you don't appear to come up with a solution to the various problems posed by
original posters.

You need to work on your comprehension then.

How about _answering_ an original poster's question,

I do that most of the time.

instead of correcting other posters.

I do that too when they post drivel like you
did in the post of yours I commented on.

Well?

Go and **** yourself.

We'll think much better of you (whether you care or not),

How many of you are there between those ears ?

if you come up with answers that prove to be correct.

I do that plenty of times. Unlike you.

Old January 11th 07, 04:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Zach

Thanks to everyone for all of the help. I apologize for the delay in my
response. Here's where I'm at:

-I checked the BIOS settings and could not find any problems. The
primary IDE slave is enabled. One interesting thing is that the primary
IDE slave device is listed as unknown in the BIOS while windows can
detect it as a Pioneer DVR-111. I guess this goes along with the error
message I'm getting before windows starts.

-The jumper settings on both DVD drives are correct. I originally had
the DVD-ROM set to master and the DVD-RW set to slave. I also tried
setting both drives to cable select and am getting the same problem. I
tried switching the jumpers from each drive to test if possibly the
jumper was bad and am still getting the same problem.

-I tried using a new IDE cable and am still getting the same problem.

-My computer only has one IDE cable, which is listed as the Primary IDE
cable in the BIOS. My hard drives use those new fangled serial cables.
The master (DVD-ROM) is using the IDE connection on the end of the
cable and the slave (DVD-RW) is using the IDE connection in the middle
of the cable.

-I'm using Windows XP Service Pack 2 and all of the critical updates
are installed.

-My computer is a Dell Dimension 9100. From what I can see on the
motherboard, it is made by Dell. One of the stickers on it has the
following numbers:
CN-0X8582-70821-55K-G076
Rev. A00
Let me know if you need any more information about the motherboard.

-One thing I haven't tried is to connect my DVD-RW as the master and my
DVD-ROM as the slave. I'll try this today and let you know what I find
out.

Thanks again,
Zach

Problem with Desktop After Switching Accounts [email protected] Nvidia Videocards 4 December 15th 06 11:41 AM
Mixed mode cd's? smh Cdr 0 April 17th 06 09:25 PM
P4P800 Primary IDE Channel device 1 transfer mode problem J Reinhart Asus Motherboards 2 March 9th 05 07:01 AM
Power Surge David LeBrun General 44 September 12th 03 02:35 AM