520 broken LCD

Old August 3rd 08, 06:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Vangosh

Default 520 broken LCD

Well, i've only had my dell 520 laptop for a few months and I have already cracked the LCD. Just the screen, not the frame around it or anything...its 1440 x 900 (I think)
Will Dell repair this if I send it back to them or would I be better to take it to a local repair shop?
I'm in Seattle if anybody has any recommendations on a good place to take it.

I didn't buy the "KLutz warranty" so does anybody know how much something like this should cost?

I kinda don't want my BF to find out, if possible ; )

Thanks guys

Old August 3rd 08, 09:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

assuming that you are talking about a latitude d520...
it will probably be a $400-$500 repair. dell will do it but they will charge you top dollar.
you could do it yourself for the costs of parts only if you are comfortable with working on laptops. the part will probably run you under $200 but you have to know exactly what you have and get the same replacement part. to get a detail listing of the specific components that can shipped with your system you can visit support.dell.com and enter your service tag number, then click the warranty status page, and then the original configuration tab. it could have shipped with a number of different displays, different sizes or resolutions. there are several different models available on ebay or you can call dell spare parts to see what they want for the replacement panel. with panel in hand you can then check out the installation instructions in the service manual found here
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...m_en/index.htm
good luck.

Old August 3rd 08, 09:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

What Christopher is too nice to suggest (since it is his living) is that
you can find someone like him locally that can repair it for you for a
price between the two. Try to find a local computer shop that gets a
recommendation from someone you know.

From: Christopher Muto ]
Posted At: Sunday, August 03, 2008 3:06 PM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: 520 broken LCD
Subject: 520 broken LCD

Broken pin Grinder General 1 April 6th 05 10:53 PM
help, please- broken pin on HD... Uncle Vinnie General 4 March 28th 05 01:48 PM
CPU broken? Chris General Hardware 1 September 16th 04 07:28 PM
DC 0.5L still broken with 52.16 Nick (no dashes) Nvidia Videocards 6 November 9th 03 09:33 PM
cpu broken in some way?? MrJumbles AMD Thunderbird Processors 3 August 11th 03 04:33 PM