CPU Heating

Old March 11th 07, 03:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default CPU Heating

Hi all

I assembled a PC for my home, Intel Pentium 4 Dual Core 3.2 940 D
processor, Intel 965 RY chipset, Intel motherboard, Gigabyte Cooler
fan, Gigabyte case., 2 GB DDR2(533 Mhz), 250 GB SATA HDD.
I installed XP, and on the intel desktop utilities, I see the
processor temperature showing 60+ degrees always in normal load and
while doing some video ripping and heavy load, it goes 90+. I bought a
new OCZ Ultra 5+ compound and put between the processor and heatsink,
and thought that it would bring the temperature down drastically. I
dont see much difference here. Now while browsing, I see the
temperature 55 Degrees Celsius, and while idle, it goes 50. While
using some ripping s/w, it goes to 85 degrees, and drops very fast the
moment ripping stops.
Is this normal behaviour ? could someone help please..

Thanks in Advance

BM

Old March 11th 07, 04:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ed Medlin

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

No that is not normal. 60c max for that processor would be about all I would
want to see. One thing I would check is if the HS is completely matching up
with the processor. You can check that by removing the HS and making sure
that the processor is making complete contact with the HS(you can see the
complete impression of the processor heat spreader in the thermal compound).
I had a badly machined stock Intel HS base (it was concave) on my EM64t-I660
retail processor and wound up going the the local computer shop and getting
a stock replacement made by Spire for about $12.00US that was slightly
larger and brought my max temps from well over 65c to 55-60c when rendering
video for several hours. Idle temps went down from 50c to 40c. Another thing
to check is that you have good ventilation in the case. Make sure you tidy
up cables etc so that you have good front to back airflow with no
obstructions. Good case temps should be as close to your room temps as
possible, usually within 10-15 degs C would be about as close as you could
get in a system today.

Ed

Old March 11th 07, 04:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Mar 11, 7:19 pm, "Ed Medlin" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

The HS is making complete contact with the processor for sure. the
case has two vents on the side, opposite to the processor fan and one
below it. I even kept the case open , just to check, but 52 C on
normal working is the best I could achieve without load. Any thoughts
on the power supply ? Could it be by any chance possible that I may be
using the wrong one. ? I think the processor i am using is called
Prescott.

Thanks
BM

Old March 12th 07, 01:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_4_]

On Mar 11, 11:42 am, wrote:
On Mar 11, 7:19 pm, "Ed Medlin" wrote:

wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

BM- Hide quoted text -

Add an extra case fan to blow the hot air from the HS out of the
case. It helped my P4 2.8 GHz Prescott with Intel Retail HS.

Old March 12th 07, 03:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RussellS

"Bill" wrote in message
ps.com...

wrote in message

[...]

The Prescotts run pretty warm, but that sounds a little high. Are you sure
you applied the thermal compound correctly between the CPU and the heatsink?
A very small amount, evenly applied per instructions that accompanied the
compound should be the way to go. Improperly applied thermal compound can
affect the temperature by 20 degrees or more.

-Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

Over Heating Problems John Lettiere Homebuilt PC's 4 May 16th 05 10:56 PM
cpu heating up beav Asus Motherboards 1 September 28th 04 08:17 AM
Heating problem? Bobby General 6 April 7th 04 06:56 PM
Over heating??? Kedrid Nvidia Videocards 5 February 20th 04 02:17 AM
Prosessor over heating Wolfbaine General Hardware 1 January 9th 04 05:55 AM