System component selection comments

Old February 10th 07, 09:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mellowed

Default System component selection comments

This is the parts list that I am about to order in putting together my
first system. I was looking for performance Vs value trade-offs. I
also tend to keep a computer for many years. i.e. I'm currently using a
1998 PII-400 with upgrades along the way.

Item Model Price
Case CoolerMaster RC-534-KKN2-GP $50
Power Supply Epower ZU-550W ATX12 VER2.0 $55
Keyboard Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 B2L-00047 $22
Mouse inc
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 $135
Memory Patriot PDC22G6400LLK 2gb 800mhz $200
CPU E6600
$335
Heat Sink Zalman CNPS9500LED $44
Operating System Win Vista Hm Premium - retail $228
HD WD5000KS 500gb
$190
DVD/CD Lite-On SH-16A7S-06 SATA $37
Floppy SONY MPF 920 Black OEM $8
Video Card Nvidia Gforce 7900GS $200
Modem
Monitor ASUS MW201U $379
Wireless card EDIMAX EW-7128G PCI $24

TOTAL $1,907

I would appreciate comments on any omissions, warnings,
incompatibilities, better choices, etc. I'm 'green' at this and have
many opportunities to screw it up.

Old February 11th 07, 12:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave

"Mellowed" wrote in message
newsqqzh.1559$TG6.479@trnddc06...
[...]

One major problem, and one minor problem. Your RAM is not compatible with
your mainboard (timing, voltage, according to gigabyte). That would have
been a nasty surprise on build day. The following sets look like they will
probably work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146438 (times two)

Everything else looks good, other than the iffy quality power supply. For
about the same price, substitute the following:
460W will have plenty of power to run your rig, and this one is much better
quality than the 550W you chose.

Or if you would feel better with 550W, the following will work OK on a rev.2
mainboard, and costs just a little mo

Overall looks pretty good. The memory would be an easy mistake to make, and
at least the power supply you chose was not terrible, just could be better.
I cringe to see most posters list really high-end components and a 20-buck
power supply to run them, or a power supply that's included with a case
(always junk, no exceptions). So at least your choice was better than
average. -Dave

Old February 11th 07, 02:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RussellS

"Dave" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Mellowed" wrote in message
[...]

Dave has good suggestions regarding the memory and PSU. Additionally, you
might want to look at these monitors, which are larger and slightly less
expensive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...NE&N=0&Ntk=all

I wouldn't get that Lite-On DVD burner; they have a reputation for being
very loud and having a relatively short lifespan. Look for something in a
similar price range from Samsung or NEC.

Since you're building your own new computer, you could save $100 by getting
the OEM version of Vista Home Premium, or upgrade to the OEM version of
Vista Ultimate for still $25 less than the retail Home Premium version that
you had selected.

Good luck to you,
--
-Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

Old February 11th 07, 02:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mellowed

"Dave" wrote in message
reenews.net...
:
: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231098
: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817101111
: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817709004
:
: Overall looks pretty good. The memory would be an easy mistake to
make, and
: at least the power supply you chose was not terrible, just could be
better.
: I cringe to see most posters list really high-end components and a
20-buck
: power supply to run them, or a power supply that's included with a
case
: (always junk, no exceptions). So at least your choice was better than
: average. -Dave
:
Thanks Dave. I was nervous about the RAM especially with the comments
about the Gigabyte by others. I'll go with the G.Skill.

I wasn't aware about the Power Supply. That caught me off guard. I
took a look at the AMS and it looks good. I'll also make that change.

Thanks again.

Old February 11th 07, 03:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mellowed

"RussellS" rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replace"dot"with". " wrote in
message . ..
:
: "Dave" wrote in message
: reenews.net...
:
: -----------------------------------------------------
[...]
: --
: -Russell
: http://tastycomputers.com

Thanks for the input. I wasn't confident about the Lite-On anyhow.
I'll look into alternatives.

What are the disadvantages jof using an OEM OS?

Old February 11th 07, 05:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

"Mellowed" wrote in message newsqqzh.1559$TG6.479@trnddc06...
This is the parts list that I am about to order in putting together my
first system. I was looking for performance Vs value trade-offs. I
also tend to keep a computer for many years. i.e. I'm currently using a
1998 PII-400 with upgrades along the way.

Item Model Price
Case CoolerMaster RC-534-KKN2-GP $50
Power Supply Epower ZU-550W ATX12 VER2.0 $55
Keyboard Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 B2L-00047 $22
Mouse inc
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 $135
Memory Patriot PDC22G6400LLK 2gb 800mhz $200
CPU E6600
$335
Heat Sink Zalman CNPS9500LED $44
Operating System Win Vista Hm Premium - retail $228

HD WD5000KS 500gb
$190

I do not like the idea of these huge drives. 500 g is a bear to backup AND NO ONE SHOULD
HAVE 500 gigs of data stored on a drive, so whats the point? 2 x 250's would be my
choice.

Old February 11th 07, 10:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mellowed

: "Mellowed" wrote in message
: news:vzGzh.10185$Yn4.2479@trnddc03...
:
: "RussellS" rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replace"dot"with". "
wrote in
: message . ..
: :
: : "Dave" wrote in message
: : reenews.net...
: :
: : -----------------------------------------------------
[...]
: : --
: : -Russell
: : http://tastycomputers.com
:
: Thanks for the input. I wasn't confident about the Lite-On anyhow.
: I'll look into alternatives.
:
: What are the disadvantages jof using an OEM OS?
:
: -----------------------------------------------------
: The main three differences between the retail/upgrade versions and the
OEM
: versions of Vista a
:
: 1. The OEM version is only licensed for installation by a system
builder
: (you, if you're building your own) and you'd be providing your own
tech
: support for the OS
:
: 2. The license ties the operating system with the original computer
(can't
: re-use it on another system that you might build/buy at a later date.)
: Component upgrades in your original system are OK, but you may have to
talk
: to a Microsoft activation rep on the phone if you've reinstalled the
OS a
: number of times and/or have upgraded major components.
:
: 3. The OEM versions cost quite a bit less, of course.
:
: I've attached the actual License Agreement in RTF format that is on
the OEM
: Vista DVDs, if you'd like to read it.
:
: Hope this helps.
: --
: -Russell
: http://tastycomputers.com
:
Thanks for the license info. I wouldn't us MS tech support anyhow. I'm
not sure about any systems restrictions. I doubt that would be a
problem.

Old February 12th 07, 12:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DaveW

I would NEVER use a $55 550 watt PSU..At that price for that power output
they are using CHEAP components that will not last and will NOT provide a
full 550 wattts at operating temperature.

--
DaveW

----------------

Old February 12th 07, 01:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave

"DaveW" wrote in message
I would NEVER use a $55 550 watt PSU..At that price for that power output
they are using CHEAP components that will not last and will NOT provide a
full 550 wattts at operating temperature.

--
DaveW

Not necessarily. There are good ones and bad ones. Some of the
lesser-known good ones can be found at bargain prices. The epower is not
one of the good ones, though. -Dave

Is my drive dead? [email protected] General 19 August 24th 06 08:35 PM
system comments Cyberdog Asus Motherboards 3 February 24th 04 02:52 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Overclocking 37 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
how much can i overclock my computer en how MiniDisc_2k2 Overclocking 2 July 6th 03 12:58 AM