Windows 95 in a modern pc

Old February 3rd 07, 11:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Kev Nurse

Default Windows 95 in a modern pc

Hi Guys,
I have a spare modern pc that my son wants to play some old Win 95
games on. I have the old DOS/Win95 software, but is there a
compatability problem with a modern motherboard and hard drive, etc?
Is FAT16 and FAT32 an issue?

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Kev Nurse

Old February 3rd 07, 12:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
spodosaurus

Kev Nurse wrote:
Hi Guys,
I have a spare modern pc that my son wants to play some old Win 95
games on. I have the old DOS/Win95 software, but is there a
compatability problem with a modern motherboard and hard drive, etc?
Is FAT16 and FAT32 an issue?

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Kev Nurse

You can run some games under XP in compatibility mode. Alternatively,
you can make a multi-boot system with any number of operating systems on
the hard drive, each taking up a partition on the drive.

Regards,

Ari

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old February 3rd 07, 04:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RussellS

"spodosaurus" wrote in message
Kev Nurse wrote:
Hi Guys,
I have a spare modern pc that my son wants to play some old Win 95
games on. I have the old DOS/Win95 software, but is there a
compatability problem with a modern motherboard and hard drive, etc?
Is FAT16 and FAT32 an issue?

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Kev Nurse

You can run some games under XP in compatibility mode. Alternatively, you
can make a multi-boot system with any number of operating systems on the
hard drive, each taking up a partition on the drive.

Regards,

Ari

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

Additionally, you could install and run the free Virtual PC software from
Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx) which
would run as many "virtual" operating systems as you'd like, within a window
while your host operating system is running. When you select which
operating system you'd like to install on the virtual PC, it will create a
virtualized hardware environment ideal for the target operating system,
along with a virtual hard drive, so you don't have to worry about
compatibility.

--
-Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

Old February 3rd 07, 07:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

Kev Nurse wrote

I have a spare modern pc that my son wants to play some old Win 95
games on. I have the old DOS/Win95 software, but is there a
compatability problem with a modern motherboard and hard drive, etc?

Nope, it'll work fine usually.

Is FAT16 and FAT32 an issue?

Nope, that just limits the partition size and Win95 OSR2 supports FAT32 anyway.

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Old February 3rd 07, 11:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DaveW

Most modern hardware is NOT win 95/DOS compatible. Current compatibility
only goes back to Win 98 in most cases.

--
DaveW

----------------
ps.com...

Old February 4th 07, 12:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al Dykes

In article ,
DaveW wrote:
Most modern hardware is NOT win 95/DOS compatible. Current compatibility
only goes back to Win 98 in most cases.

Get Microsoft Virtual PC and run W95 on modern hardware.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
Old February 4th 07, 11:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
philo

"Kev Nurse" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi Guys,
I have a spare modern pc that my son wants to play some old Win 95
games on. I have the old DOS/Win95 software, but is there a
compatability problem with a modern motherboard and hard drive, etc?
Is FAT16 and FAT32 an issue?

Win95 will *NOT* run in a machine with a CPU faster than 300 mhz.

Though there is a patch to get it to work with a faster cpu...
there is still a limit. Just a guess...but even with the patch you may still
not be able
to run it on any current production machine.

Not only that, the patch can be difficult to apply.
If you can boot the machine to safe mode...it can be appllied from within
windows...
but since the machine may not even run in safe mode...
the files need to be manually extracted and copies to the appropriate
folders.

So if you really want to run win95...you might as well dig out a pentium-1

they are still avail at rummage sales for $5 or less

Old February 4th 07, 09:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor

In article , philo
says...

********.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
Old February 4th 07, 10:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Conor wrote:

In article , philo
says...

Win95 will *NOT* run in a machine with a CPU faster than 300 mhz.

Though there is a patch to get it to work with a faster cpu...
there is still a limit.

********.

Maybe about that particular claim, but I can't see Windows 95
running on modern hardware. One obvious reason is because you won't
find drivers.

By the way, to Kev Nurse. As other authors have probably already
made clear, there's probably no reason to try. You should be able to
find a compatibility mode even in Windows XP.

Maybe I'm spoiled but I wouldn't mess with Windows 95.

Good luck and have fun.

Old February 4th 07, 11:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
philo

"Conor" wrote in message
.. .
In article , philo
says...

"Kev Nurse" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi Guys,
I have a spare modern pc that my son wants to play some old Win 95
games on. I have the old DOS/Win95 software, but is there a
compatability problem with a modern motherboard and hard drive, etc?
Is FAT16 and FAT32 an issue?

Win95 will *NOT* run in a machine with a CPU faster than 300 mhz.

Though there is a patch to get it to work with a faster cpu...
there is still a limit.

********.

It would have taken about once second on google to confirm

http://archives.devshed.com/forums/w...d-1113903.html

first of 427,000 hits on that subject