Internet Wireless Connection Setup?

Old February 17th 15, 11:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Internet Wireless Connection Setup?

I also asked this question in the Comcast Newsgroup:

A question - I have the Xfinity Cisco XB3 Modem on my Desktop and am trying to
setup Wireless Connection for my Laptop. My Question is, should the Wireless
Internet Connection be setup on the Desktop and then selected from the available
connections on the Laptop. Or, should the Wireless Connection be setup on the
Laptop? I tried to setting it up on the Laptop, and it shows up in Device
Manager on the Laptop, but does not show in the list of available Wireless
Connections to choose from on the Laptop, and the Laptop is not connected to the
Internet.

So, where and how should this be setup so I can gain Wireless access on the
Laptop?

Thanks for any insights/suggestions.
charliec
Old February 18th 15, 01:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 20:04:26 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 15:27:07 -0800,
wrote:

I also asked this question in the Comcast Newsgroup:

A question - I have the Xfinity Cisco XB3 Modem on my Desktop and am trying to
setup Wireless Connection for my Laptop. My Question is, should the Wireless
Internet Connection be setup on the Desktop and then selected from the available
connections on the Laptop. Or, should the Wireless Connection be setup on the
Laptop? I tried to setting it up on the Laptop, and it shows up in Device
Manager on the Laptop, but does not show in the list of available Wireless
Connections to choose from on the Laptop, and the Laptop is not connected to the
Internet.

So, where and how should this be setup so I can gain Wireless access on the
Laptop?

Thanks for any insights/suggestions.
charliec

You set up the modem/router to supply wifi, then you set up the
laptop to connect to the wifi.and either connect the desktop by cable
or wifi to the modem as well.

So, on the desktop, I should setup the Wifi Internet Connection, then go to the
Laptop and it should be available for selection in the available Wireless
Connections on the laptop? I'm just confused as to how to set this up.

Thanks for any additional help.
Old February 18th 15, 03:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

That is correct. Log in with the cable connected desktop and set up
the wifi SSID and password. (WEP or WPA2 security to keep passersby
from using your wifi) The SSID will show up in your laptop available
wireless connections.
Enter the password and tell the laptop to remember the password.

Default address is 10.0.0.1 with login of Admin and password of
password.

From gateway/connection/wifi enter a unique name in the SSID field to
differentiate yours from your neighbour's. Edit the 2.4ghz security
mode (I use WEP 128 bit - WPA is theoretically better but can be more
hassle) and password (make it strong -use upper and lower case and
numerals). Leave channel selection at automatic. Enable SSID
broadcast.
Save settings.

Thanks for any additional help.

Old February 18th 15, 06:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve W.[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Make sure the wifi connection you are setting up is the modem, Many new
desktops also have wifi equipment built in. You want to set it up in the
modem, otherwise you have to have the desktop on all the time you want
to use the laptop.

--
Steve W.
Old February 18th 15, 08:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply. I was able to connect with a Wireless Tech at Comcast and
after reviewing my setup, he determined that the modem was set to block Wifi. He
changed that and the Laptop is working fine now on he Internet wireless.

Thanks for the replies and I am good to go for now

Internet connection Rudy General 3 January 19th 09 03:30 PM
Wireless Internet Connection? Charliec Dell Computers 23 July 17th 08 01:00 AM
Dlink-524 Wireless Router Won't Hold Internet Connection Boris Dell Computers 1 November 28th 07 03:49 PM
Help/advice please - wireless internet connection? DCA Homebuilt PC's 10 March 24th 05 03:01 PM
Mixing Wired and Wireless to Share DSL Internet Connection? Jay Chan Homebuilt PC's 7 September 30th 04 05:53 PM