IntelŽ PRO/1000 PT Desktop Adapter - Linux Issues

Old September 19th 08, 03:39 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Tommy[_2_]

Default IntelŽ PRO/1000 PT Desktop Adapter - Linux Issues

Hi Everyone,

I have a IntelŽ PRO/1000 PT Desktop Adapter (PCI Express) installed in
a system that i am running CentOS 5.2 with kernel version
2.6.18-92.1.10-el5.

When I perform an lspci, the card is not listed however the PCI
Express bus is listed. I am not receiving any error messages when i
am trying to load the module however.

Has anyone seen this issue before or similar.

I am running out of ideas.

Thanks alot.

Tom.
Old September 19th 08, 03:50 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Tommy[_2_]

On Sep 19, 12:39*pm, Tommy wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have a IntelŽ PRO/1000 PT Desktop Adapter (PCI Express) installed in
a system that i am running CentOS 5.2 with kernel version
2.6.18-92.1.10-el5.

When I perform an lspci, the card is not listed however the PCI
Express bus is listed. *I am not receiving any error messages when i
am trying to load the module however.

Has anyone seen this issue before or similar.

I am running out of ideas.

Thanks alot.

Tom.

Hi Everyone,
Just more ifnormation.
I have downloaded and installed the drivers from the Intel site and
still no luck.

Thanks.
Tom.
Old September 19th 08, 05:35 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
CJT

Tommy wrote:
On Sep 19, 12:39 pm, Tommy wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I have a IntelŽ PRO/1000 PT Desktop Adapter (PCI Express) installed in
a system that i am running CentOS 5.2 with kernel version
2.6.18-92.1.10-el5.

When I perform an lspci, the card is not listed however the PCI
Express bus is listed. I am not receiving any error messages when i
am trying to load the module however.

Has anyone seen this issue before or similar.

I am running out of ideas.

Thanks alot.

Tom.

Hi Everyone,
Just more ifnormation.
I have downloaded and installed the drivers from the Intel site and
still no luck.

Thanks.
Tom.

Are you sure the card is firmly seated in the slot?

Old September 19th 08, 08:42 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Alvin Andries

"Tommy" wrote in message

Hi Everyone,

I have a IntelŽ PRO/1000 PT Desktop Adapter (PCI Express) installed in
a system that i am running CentOS 5.2 with kernel version
2.6.18-92.1.10-el5.

When I perform an lspci, the card is not listed however the PCI
Express bus is listed. I am not receiving any error messages when i
am trying to load the module however.

Has anyone seen this issue before or similar.

I am running out of ideas.

Thanks alot.

Tom.

Hi Tom,

You wouldn't have one of those motherboards that share bandwith between
various PCIe connectors: e.g. a PCIe x4 + 3 PCIe x1 connectors might be used
as
- 1 PCIe x4
- 4 PCIe x1

Regards,
Alvin.

Old September 20th 08, 08:53 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Tommy[_2_]

On Sep 20, 5:42*am, "Alvin Andries"
wrote:
"Tommy" wrote in message

Hi Everyone,

I have a IntelŽ PRO/1000 PT Desktop Adapter (PCI Express) installed in
a system that i am running CentOS 5.2 with kernel version
2.6.18-92.1.10-el5.

When I perform an lspci, the card is not listed however the PCI
Express bus is listed. *I am not receiving any error messages when i
am trying to load the module however.

Has anyone seen this issue before or similar.

I am running out of ideas.

Thanks alot.

Tom.

Hi Tom,

You wouldn't have one of those motherboards that share bandwith between
various PCIe connectors: e.g. a PCIe x4 + 3 PCIe x1 connectors might be used
as
- 1 PCIe x4
- 4 PCIe x1

Regards,
Alvin.- Hide quoted text -

Hi,
The system has one standard PCI slot and a PCIe slot. Nothing else.
Small form factor machine.

This is the darnest thing i have ever seen.
Tom.
Old September 22nd 08, 07:42 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Rick Jones

Default Intel? PRO/1000 PT Desktop Adapter - Linux Issues

IIRC lspci doesn't care about having a driver present. It is "purely"
PCI-level stuff.

Sounds like you need to try the add-in card in another system. If it
shows-up there, then you probably have a bad slot in your system.
Similarly, you could try a known-good card in your system and if it
appears you know you have a bad add-in card.

Or that both the slot and the card you are trying are far enough to
opposite ends of the specs that their margins don't overlap I
suppose...

There isn't some poorly documented BIOS slot disabling option is
there? Anything interesting in dmesg - perhaps from I/O services
deciding to disable the slot itself for some reason?

rick jones