pci express 2.0

Old August 31st 08, 02:19 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Josh

Default pci express 2.0

I have a DG965WH. I assume it has pci express 1.0, can I install a
pci express 2.0 video card?

Thanks
Old August 31st 08, 06:53 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bob Bailin

"Josh" wrote in message
I have a DG965WH. I assume it has pci express 1.0, can I install a
pci express 2.0 video card?

Thanks

Yes. According to the Wiki article on PCI Express:

PCIe 2.0 is backward compatible with PCIe v1.x. Graphic cards and
motherboards designed for v2.0 will be able to work with v1.1 and v1.0. In
some cases it is possible that a PCI-E 2.0 card will not work correctly on a
PCI-E 1.0a slot. This is only limited to certain video cards.

Old August 31st 08, 09:39 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Josh

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:53:22 -0400, "Bob Bailin"
wrote:

"Josh" wrote in message
.. .
I have a DG965WH. I assume it has pci express 1.0, can I install a
pci express 2.0 video card?

Thanks

Yes. According to the Wiki article on PCI Express:

PCIe 2.0 is backward compatible with PCIe v1.x. Graphic cards and
motherboards designed for v2.0 will be able to work with v1.1 and v1.0. In
some cases it is possible that a PCI-E 2.0 card will not work correctly on a
PCI-E 1.0a slot. This is only limited to certain video cards.

Thanks for the reply. So, I would be safe to assume that the DG965WH
does NOT have a PCI-E 1.0a slot? I looked at Intel's web site, but
didn't see anything to indicate what version slot it is. Of course, I
might have missed it.

btw, will most likely be purchasing an EVGA 9800 series card - still
looking into power requirements on those.

Old September 1st 08, 04:27 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bob Bailin

"Josh" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:53:22 -0400, "Bob Bailin"
wrote:

"Josh" wrote in message
. ..
I have a DG965WH. I assume it has pci express 1.0, can I install a
pci express 2.0 video card?

Thanks

Yes. According to the Wiki article on PCI Express:

PCIe 2.0 is backward compatible with PCIe v1.x. Graphic cards and
motherboards designed for v2.0 will be able to work with v1.1 and v1.0. In
some cases it is possible that a PCI-E 2.0 card will not work correctly on
PCI-E 1.0a slot. This is only limited to certain video cards.

Thanks for the reply. So, I would be safe to assume that the DG965WH
does NOT have a PCI-E 1.0a slot? I looked at Intel's web site, but
didn't see anything to indicate what version slot it is. Of course, I
might have missed it.

btw, will most likely be purchasing an EVGA 9800 series card - still
looking into power requirements on those.

I'm using a DG965WH, and as far as I can tell from the Intel docs,
it's strictly PCI-E 1.0.

Make sure your power supply is up to it. Most no-name supplies only
provide 75% of the listed output, so a 600W ps is not unreasonable.
A 400W will not do.

Old September 2nd 08, 07:43 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Josh

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 11:27:59 -0400, "Bob Bailin"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Josh" wrote in message
[...]

I have an Antec Earthwatts 500w. The nvidia card's spec's, depending
on which model I get, say minimum or 400w or 450w. The model I would
probably get has minimum of 400w. 3 hard drives & one optical drive,
all SATA. Don't have a clue how much juice USB devices such as
printer and scanner use (scanner hardly ever is used).

Think the Antec 500w is sufficient?
Thanks

Old September 2nd 08, 04:17 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Tom Lake

"Josh" wrote in message
I have a DG965WH. I assume it has pci express 1.0, can I install a
pci express 2.0 video card?

Yes, the 2.0 card will work fine in the DG965WH. I have one.

Even Intel's top-of-the-line motherboards only have the 1.1 spec!

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboard/

Tom Lake