experience with HP 1200DN inkjet

Old February 15th 05, 10:22 PM
John Doe

Default experience with HP 1200DN inkjet

Anyone has any actual experience with the above
HP business inkjet, or any other inkjet in the
1200 family?

I interested in both pros and cons since I try to
decide what to get to replace my aging 820.
I'll be using it mainly to print text and webpages,
but won't be using it for photos, so photo quality
is not needed.

Specifically, I'd like to know how good is paper
handling, the reliability of the ink delivery system
( I may print continuously for hours, then nothing
for a week or two) and how good are the drivers.

Also, how does it compare to inexpensive color
lasers?

TIA

Old February 15th 05, 11:56 PM
measekite

I have both a Canon IP4000 use mostly for photos and an HP990Cse used
for text, web pages and programming. The draft mode is fantastic.
Check on the HP and review the ratings. Some of the newer HP deskjets
are not as good as they used to be and others are. For your purposes I
think the HP might be better.

However the IP4000 can print duplex and is much faster than the HP. The
draft mode, while lightning fast is poorer quality than the HP. But it
is a real draft and very fast.

Old February 16th 05, 04:53 AM
John Doe

Thanks for your input, but the 1200 series is substantially
different from the 990. For one thing, they use fixed, but
user replacable printheads with separate tanks for each ink.

Another difference is that they don't get discounted much.
Some places are selling them for more than the MSRP!!!

. ..

Old February 17th 05, 02:06 AM

Hello,

I have an HP Business Inkjet 1100D Series. I like this model in fact
that started the 1xxxx Business Inkjet line. OK here are the
comparasions from the BIJ (Business InkJet) 1100 series and the
1200DN. I have the BIJ 1100D which includes the duplexer which is a
EXCELLENT FEATURE because it flips the paper for you. I am lazy LOL.
Anyway the difference between the 1100 series and the 1200DN series is
that the 1100 series CPU processor is a 96 MHz and the 1200 series CPU
is 240 MHz Motorola 32-bit ColdFire 4e HPA. The memory is 32MB RAM
and its 4MB ROM. They both use HP PhotoRET III technology and both
uses HP High Performance Architecture PCL 3. There duty cylce is Up
to 6,250 pages per month. Actually the BIJ 1200 family is an
"UPGRADE" to the BIJ 1100 series printer. The BIJ 1100 series 8MB RAM
and 4MB ROM.

Anyway those are the different specs between the two printers. I LOVE
HP Printers. They do last VERY VERY LONG time. Unlike other printers
like Canon. I had a Canon before which was the BJC 6000. After 1 yrs
its crapped out on me. So I had to buy the 1100 series. I also had
the HP Deskjet 820Cse (First printer) but I did something to it and
it died otherwise I would not have to buy another printer. Then I
bought Canon and then back to HP.

What I like about the HP Business Inkjet link is it has SEPARATE INK
CATRIDGES and PRINTHEADS. This is a good feature because if the
printheads are dead you just have to replace the print heads only.
AND the ink cartridges have bags in them NOT SPONGES THANK GOD. Then
contain REAL INK. Other inkjet print cartridges uses SPONGE where
when its dried you have to buy another ink cartridge. Also with the
Business Inkjet Series there is an EXPIRATION date on the print
cartridges and print heads. They expire 2 years and that is a long
time. I bought refill kits but I didn't use them because I still have
ink left. I had this printer since 8-3-04 till now and its already
half a year. BUT my inks are ONLY BK 48% Cyan 51% Magenta 47% and
Yellow 54%. I print everyday or so but sometimes I stop printing
because I do not need to print and I STILL have a lot. WOW I love my
printer. When I have the HP 820CSE I always printed everyday like
what I am doing right now but the HP 45 cartridge one month I used it
all up. The HP 41 cartridge color uses SPONGE that is with the HP
820Cse. I HATE THAT. I use the "BEST" mode to print and now it
still has half of the ink left in the print cartridges WOW. If I used
it with the 820CSE black it would be gone in a second. Anyway the
point is its half a year now and I use the "BEST" mode to print and it
STILL has ink left without me having to buy another print cartridge.

Mike C

Old February 17th 05, 12:00 PM
John Doe

How does the print quality compares to other printers
like the 820?

One of the reason I want to go with a business class
inkjet is obviously the cost/page. This printer may cost
more than many others initially, ($250) but after they
buy a set or two cartridges they are more expensive.
And a built in ethernet should make printer sharing trivial.

Old February 20th 05, 06:02 PM

Hi,

The print quality compares to the other printers like the 820 is
EXCELLENT. YES It's like LASER quailty for the black. The color is
GREAT. Yes I agree the catridges are very expensive $30.00 a pop and
print heads also at JR in NYC. That is where I get my inks. I LOVEHP
Business Inkjet printers. Yes it cost a lot for their business
printer class. Like I said I purchased the Business Inkjet 1100D and
I had to pay $185.00. I purchased on the internet from chiefvalue.com
The model that I have does not have an ethernet attach to it. I have
to buy that seperately. But I do not need it for network.

Last Friday I went to JR and I meet on HP representative and this is
what happened I was shocked this is what he said. "It doesn't ring a
bell too me". I was SHOCKED that he said that too me. He should have
prior knowledge for HP products even though you do not carry it. When
I asked him he said to me "Please hold on a sec I have to check
e-mail" He made me wait for 5 seconds for him to do that. Also I was
looking for separate ink cartridges and print heads and that was one
of the model that carries it but I want to know more information about
that. He had to check for HP website about that. He did not know his
products. It's very upsetting to hear a HP Representative they do not
know their products. He also told me that their separate ink
cartridges and print heads were about too discontinue this year or so.
He is giving the wrong information to me. He said to me what good is
having separate ink cartridges and printheads its old technology. He
does not know the benefit of having separate ink cartridges and
printheads, he shouldn't be representing HP. I had to call up HP and
asked them about this question. They said to me The Business Inkjet
1200 line is BRAND NEW, not old. And HP said their not going to
discontinue anytime soon with their separate ink cartridges and
printheads. I also have comments for the company HP and he did not
even acknowledge it. He does not even care if I said any good
comments about the company. It's so sad. I appreciate if you have a
better HP Representative that knows their products and are kind to
their loyal customers. He is mean and cruel and he DOES NOT CARE.

Mike C

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:00:06 GMT, "John Doe" wrote:

How does the print quality compares to other printers
like the 820?

One of the reason I want to go with a business class
inkjet is obviously the cost/page. This printer may cost
more than many others initially, ($250) but after they
buy a set or two cartridges they are more expensive.
And a built in ethernet should make printer sharing trivial.

.. .

Old February 25th 05, 09:33 PM
John Doe

Yes I agree the catridges are very expensive $30.00 a pop

But if you compute the "per ml" price for the inks,
tthey should be cheaper than other ones containing maybe
not even 10 ml of inks.

Last Friday I went to JR and I meet on HP representative and this is
what happened I was shocked this is what he said. "It doesn't ring a
bell too me". I was SHOCKED that he said that too me. He should have
prior knowledge for HP products even though you do not carry it.

That rep was probably from the consumer division -- the business
class inkjets are made by another division.

. They said to me The Business Inkjet
1200 line is BRAND NEW, not old. And HP said their not going to
discontinue anytime soon with their separate ink cartridges and
printheads.

That's good to know.

Thanks for your reply

Old February 27th 05, 06:21 PM
Mike

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 21:33:40 GMT, "John Doe" wrote:

HI

Yes I agree with you they should be cheaper so that is why I buy
refill inks and refill it myself. Yes the rep is stupid anyway. Yes
I agree the business class inkjets are made by toehr division.

So there you have it my experience with my Business Inkjet 1100D
series.

Now you can chose Canon or HP. But I recommend you to buy an Business
Inkjet 1200D standard with a duplexer. But it your choose which
comapny you want to choose form.

Mike C