WARNING! SCAM spam list - list of fake messages

Old April 24th 19, 12:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Mayayana

Default WARNING! SCAM spam list - list of fake messages

"Filip454" wrote

| Also, tell me, did you also get any e-mails of this kind?

I've had a few. I think there's also another lesson the
It shouldn't be possible for the message to be true. If you
have a webcam it shouldn't normally be plugged in. If you
have a laptop with a camera, it should be taped over. In
most cases there's also no need to enable microphones.
Hacking those is a very old practice.

That's also a good reason to limit online commerce. In
the same way no one can steal a video if you don't have
a webcam, you can't be tricked by a fake message from
your bank if you don't bank online. The more people live
online, the worse this will all get. And it's getting increasingly
professional.

60 Minutes ran a story last Sunday about international
Russian criminals controlling over 1 million computers. That
wasn't really surprising. Botnets are an old story and 60
Minutes is very clever about running "any old thing" with
special effects and dramatic tone of voice as though it were
breaking news. But there was, actually, news there that 60
Minutes missed: Despite Win10 controlware now comprising
over 50% of computers in use, botnet computers are still
a big problem. And those hacker-controlled computers can
film their owners.

Old April 24th 19, 12:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Carlos E. R.

On 24/04/2019 13.28, Mayayana wrote:
"Filip454" wrote

| Also, tell me, did you also get any e-mails of this kind?

I've had a few. I think there's also another lesson the
It shouldn't be possible for the message to be true. If you
have a webcam it shouldn't normally be plugged in. If you
have a laptop with a camera, it should be taped over. In
most cases there's also no need to enable microphones.
Hacking those is a very old practice.

I use Linux instead on those machines that have a camera :-P

(I can say that as the post was sent to one non Windows only group)

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.
Old April 24th 19, 01:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Mayayana

"Carlos E. R." wrote

| I use Linux instead on those machines that have a camera :-P

So... You mean you're being filmed by horny young geeks
at MIT rather than by semi-literate criminals in Eastern Europe?
This Linux thing sounds like a brilliant invention.