ATEN CS-104 KVM switch need power cord

Old November 25th 18, 10:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default ATEN CS-104 KVM switch need power cord

Piper wrote:

Detrmining voltage looks critical. I sure don't wanna destroy the
KVM. Looke like I may be in deep doodoo here. Dammit.

Paul already mentioned the KVM's power input is 9 VDC. Don't know what
was Paul's references. The link I gave to the KVM's online manual, page
3, says the same.
Old November 25th 18, 11:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 16:06:58 -0500,
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 15:13:56 -0500, John McGaw
wrote:

On 11/25/2018 11:16 AM,
wrote:
I have an old ATEN CS-104 KVM switch that I want to try before I toss
it. But I need the power cord with its AC/DCconverter-I can't find
mine. Anyone know of where I might get/buy same? I don't see
anything on EBAY.

Just hopin'

Pete

Probably this would do that job but you'd have to determine what the total
power consumption of the KVM is first:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Ada.../dp/B06ZZMGLJ2

At leasr I can see how the thing connects to AC and it is chaper than
RS @
https://www.radioshack.com/products/...wer-ac-adapter
Thanks
I think I will buy it.
Pete

OHOH
Detrmining voltage looks critical. I sure don't wanna destroy the
KVM. Looke like I may be in deep doodoo here. Dammit.
Thanks
Pete

The input requirement is 9V @ 0.25A .

The product John McGaw picked is 9V @ 1.2A (i.e. OK).

The adapter uses a rotary 7 position switch to select
the desired output voltage. You should feel a little
detent as the switch rotates past each position. With
the arrow pointed roughly at 9, it will give 9.0 volts.
Which is what you want. That's not a potentiometer, and
is not "continuously adjustable". It has discrete voltage
values, and the switch contacts close inside to select
one of the 7 values available.

Your KVM draws 0.25A, which is less than the 1.2A maximum
load the adapter supports. There is plenty of headroom
and that's what you want. You wouldn't want the
converse, like a 1.2A KVM and a 0.25A adapter, because
then the adapter would shut itself off. When the load (0.25A)
is less than the max (1.2A), the adapter provides the 0.25A
you need and not more. It's a rating of capability, rather
than being "shoved in" no matter what.

So the 9V number is the critical one, because the
adapter is a voltage source. That's the one we're
most concerned about matching. And the source and
load are 9V=9V .

Whereas for the current flow value, as long as the
load draws less than the max the adapter is capable
of, everybody is happy.

The hardest part of the job, will be fitting the plug.
And that part, is the unfortunate part of barrel designs.
It's not idiot proof. As an engineer, I don't like to
see designs like that, as it leaves too much to the
imagination. It is possible to make connectors
that resist rotation or reversal or fitting wrong
voltages together. But unfortunately, the 15 different
barrel types, just don't have any purpose.

What you'll normally find, is of the 15 barrel types,
only about 2 are popular for computer electronics. And
those are likely to be in the little kit you're getting.

Another peculiarity, is two of the barrels are damn close
in dimensions. If you're standing in a RadioShack testing
those two, you can't tell which one to buy :-/ I love stuff
like that, knowing they're nominally "different" but not
knowing which I should select. The RadioShack guy wasn't much
help. No, I didn't buy both of them. The two popular barrels
are sufficiently different, you can tell them apart.

Paul
Old November 26th 18, 01:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

wrote:

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 15:13:56 -0500, John McGaw
wrote:

On 11/25/2018 11:16 AM,
wrote:
I have an old ATENÂ* CS-104 KVM switch that I want to try before I toss
it.Â* But I need the power cord with its AC/DCconverter-I can't find
mine.Â* Anyone know of where I might get/buy same?Â* I don't see
anything on EBAY.

Just hopin'

Pete

Probably this would do that job but you'd have to determine what the
total power consumption of the KVM is first:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Ada.../dp/B06ZZMGLJ2

At leasr I can see how the thing connectsÂ* to AC and it is chaper than
RSÂ* @
https://www.radioshack.com/products/...wer-ac-adapter
Thanks
I think I will buy it.
Pete

OHOH
Detrmining voltage looks critical.Â* I sure don't wanna destroy the
KVM.Â* Looke like I may be in deep doodoo here.Â* Dammit.
[...]

Â*Â* Paul

Yeah. I seem to remember coming across a barrel connector where the outside
diameter was "normal" but the inner did not match up. Some research
suggested that there were three different option for that spec. Luckily, as
you wrote, there are far fewer types in common use that there were in the
past. I must have at least a dozen Netgear-compatible dongles around
putting out an identical 12V but with current ratings from 0.5A up to 3A
with everything from old-school iron-transformer/rectifier/filter to modern
switcher designs.
Old November 26th 18, 01:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 15:48:09 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

Piper wrote:

Detrmining voltage looks critical. I sure don't wanna destroy the
KVM. Looke like I may be in deep doodoo here. Dammit.

Paul already mentioned the KVM's power input is 9 VDC. Don't know what
was Paul's references. The link I gave to the KVM's online manual, page
3, says the same.

It says same right on the KVM (+9VDC)
Pete
Old November 26th 18, 12:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

wrote:

On 11/25/2018 11:16 AM, wrote:
I have an old ATEN CS-104 KVM switch that I want to try before I toss
it. But I need the power cord with its AC/DCconverter-I can't find
mine. Anyone know of where I might get/buy same? I don't see
anything on EBAY.

Just hopin'

Pete

Probably this would do that job but you'd have to determine what the total
power consumption of the KVM is first:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Ada.../dp/B06ZZMGLJ2

Wow!

To get the thing before 2019, they want $26+ for shipping a $10 item..
Gotta think about that. That's 1 reason I try to only buy US.
Pete
Old November 26th 18, 01:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 11/26/2018 6:54 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 15:13:56 -0500, John McGaw
wrote:

On 11/25/2018 11:16 AM,
wrote:
I have an old ATEN CS-104 KVM switch that I want to try before I toss
it. But I need the power cord with its AC/DCconverter-I can't find
mine. Anyone know of where I might get/buy same? I don't see
anything on EBAY.

Just hopin'

Pete

Probably this would do that job but you'd have to determine what the total
power consumption of the KVM is first:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Ada.../dp/B06ZZMGLJ2

Wow!

To get the thing before 2019, they want $26+ for shipping a $10 item..
Gotta think about that. That's 1 reason I try to only buy US.
Pete

No need to get upset. Here is the identical item and it is shipped by
Amazon so no wait and minimal/no shipping charges:

https://www.amazon.com/SODYSNAY-Univ...+power+adapter
Old November 26th 18, 02:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 07:11:40 -0500, John McGaw
wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/SODYSNAY-Univ...+power+adapter

These are scary warninga (to me):
?Adapter Input?: AC 100V~240V 0.25A 50/60Hz, Adapter Output:
3V/4.5V/5V/6V/7.5V/9V/12V.
?How to USE?:?.Connect the correct adapter tip and make sure that it's
firmly attached to the dc input port of your device.?.Set the right DC
output voltage. There are 7 options for you, DC
3V/4.5V/5V/6V/7.5V/9V/12V.?.Connect the adapter to the electrical
socket.?.Now you can power up your device!
?Multi Voltage replacement?:Six detachable DC output plugs make it
fits 95% of AC/DC appliances, Such as 3V to 12V Household Electronics,
Scales, Routers, Speakers, LED Strip Lights, CCTV camera system, USB
Charging Camera, Smart phones and so on.
?NOTE?: NOT compatible with laptop or other high power equipment, ie,
NOT Compatible with Over 30W Devices and the Polarity could not be
reversed.
?ATTENTION?: DC Plug Polarity: inner Positive(+), outer Negative(-).
If You Are Looking for an Opposite Polarity Charger, Please Search
B01IVPXV38 or www.amazon.com/dp/B01IVPXV38. If you have any other
questions or advise, please feel free to contact us at any time.

Pete
Old November 26th 18, 04:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/SODYSNAY-Univ...+power+adapter

I BOUGHT IT

THANKS

PETE
Old November 26th 18, 06:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

wrote:

?ATTENTION?: DC Plug Polarity: inner Positive(+), outer Negative(-).
If You Are Looking for an Opposite Polarity Charger, Please Search
B01IVPXV38 or
www.amazon.com/dp/B01IVPXV38.

Your solution comes in two pieces. _____
/ \ +----+
+--------+ / \ | ----- Barrel
--- Adapter xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| O o | | -----
--- \ Female/ +----+
+--------+ \_____/ | | == Male pins

That is a "polarized" adapter. The matching plugs have
(+) and (-) written on the side of the L-shaped thing
that plugs into the end of the adapter.

The two holes are different sizes, so it only plugs in
one way. The male pins are two different diameters.
The female portion has one hole bigger than the other.

Because it only plugs in one way, the product delivers
"Center Positive" by default. Before buying a keyed
product like that, you verify your KVM is "Center Positive"
before buying a Center Positive (keyed style) adapter.

*******

The other kind of adapter (ones at RadioShack) have identical
sized holes on the Adapter end piece. _____
/ \
+--------+ / \
--- Adapter xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| O O |
--- \ /
+--------+ \_____/

As a consequence of this choice, the L-shaped piece that
plugs into that, goes *two possible ways*. It can go the
right way and the wrong way, so to speak.

If you were to buy such a thing, you'd use your multimeter
to verify the center pin was positive with respect to the
shield. This must be done with some care, to avoid
unnecessarily shorting out the adapter. This is the
kind I own.

Because of the added flexibility, I can have "Center Positive"
or "Center Negative", just by rotating the L-shaped
piece before plugging it into the adapter.

Such an adapter is only recommended for those who
like multimeters and have some grasp of the basics
of "electricity" :-) Not many pieces of electronics
have polarity protection, but some do.

*******

Since you bought the top item, you won't have to worry.

When you get it, verify it's "keyed" by means of the
two hole sizes, and that the plug only goes in one
way. (When the L-shaped meets the adapter end, only
one way of inserting it.)

The product is keyed for "Center Positive". As long
as the label in the KVM plastic shows "Center Positive"
as well, you're all ready to go.

I still like to use my multimeter, because I'd
a curious individual who verifies lots of stuff.
That's just the way I am.

Paul
Old November 26th 18, 10:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 12:06:36 -0500, Paul

[...]

Hi Paul - You know who I am. Much help in the past.

Looks like I'm ok. I shud receive the adapter in a week or two.
In the meantime - now that I have your attention - I can use your
guidance in another area.

I use a laptop to play movies on my TV via cable connecting the laptop
HDMI to the TV HDMI, both female. A HDMI cable does the trick.
Wouldn't you know - the laptop has gone up. To save my marriage, I
thought to connect an unused XP PC to the TV, and need an adapter to
do the job. This looks good:
https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Plated-Adapter-Active-Converter-Meters/dp/B07CB83X4N/ref=asc_df_B07CB83X4N/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adpositio n}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt= e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocph y=&hvtargid=pla-4584482455415643&psc=1

What do you think?
Thanks as before. Happy gobble gobble.
Pete

Extension for Dell power adapter DC Cord ( NOT the AC Cord....) James Dell Computers 7 September 26th 10 10:54 PM
kvm switch does not function (Aten cs1782) Massimo[_2_] General 3 December 5th 08 05:58 PM
Power cord [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 5 December 8th 07 09:12 AM
di-604 power cord donut Homebuilt PC's 0 September 26th 07 07:03 AM
Power Cord? Scott Gateway Computers 1 December 11th 03 09:40 PM