NASA seizes new Opportunity after losing its Spirit on Mars

Old February 7th 04, 07:59 PM
Keith R. Williams

In article ,
says...

"Keith R. Williams" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,

says...

"Keith R. Williams" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,

says...

"Tony Hill" wrote in message
.com...
On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 03:47:47 +0000 (UTC), RusH
wrote:
Roman Svihorik wrote :

Oh, no! It is Mac. Definitely.

Nasa doesnt like new hardware. Maybe becouse the average Nasa

dude age
is around 40-60 :P.

Or maybe because they design the things to WORK. Most people

dealing
with PCs have absolutely no concept of reliability and things that
MUST work the first time and EVERY time. That's why they used

tried
and tested (and usually redundant) hardware on high-reliability
operating system (VxWorks in this case).

Mac? Please! MacOS / OS X wouldn't know true reliability if it

was
hit over the head with it!

Of course, the system in question has absolutely NO connection

with a
Mac at all. It's quite odd to see people who automatically assume
PowerPC == Mac. Do these people think that Nintendo Gamecubes are
Macs as well? Cisco routers? Hell, the Newisys 2100 Opteron

server
has a PowerPC processor in it!

I'v seen some Amiga advocacy www about Nasa
"obsolete hardware syndrom".

It could have something to do with the fact that the computer

system
used costs about $2000 in a multi-multi-million dollar (billion
dollar?) machine, but if one tiny bit of that computer hardware or
software failed the whole machine is a waste.

When you start dealing with numbers like that, reliability is the

ONLY
factor that matters. PC hardware and software and just NOT

designed
with this kind of reliability in mind.

Buy a Mac and pay Billy Gates twice.

Please explain how buying a Mac pays BillG a dime.

Microsoft writes most of the software for the Mac, as that is how billy
lifted the icon based operating system. Billy bailed out Mac and paid

for
the development of their last generation machine.

Most of? BTW, I thought M$ sold their stake (which was in non-
voting shares, IIRC).

M$ is a seperate issue from Billy's holdings.

Ah, I see. SO if BillG owns shares in, say Molson's, I shouldn't
drink their beer? Maybe I should as Billy what he does own.

Buy a PC, pay billy once.

Oh, most software for PC's is not written by M$?

Billy doesn't gat a piece of my PC price, just the operating system.

Well, that's one. You own no other M$ software? You're not the
norm.

Buy a Mac, pay Billy twice.

Yeah, Ok...

Besides that, Spirit is far from lost.

Of course it's not.

JPL has reason to be proud.

Agreed!, but I'm sure there were some white faces.

--
Keith
Old February 7th 04, 08:33 PM
Tarver Engineering

wrote:
Roman Svihorik wrote :

[...]

I don't mind buying M$ products, or letting Billy get richer.

Have you understood why Billy is so successful? In the Silicon Valley the
companys just steal their employees' product, but Billy lets them be
millionaires. The Silicon Valley does not want software to be regulated as
engineering for that reason.

Buy a PC, pay billy once.

Oh, most software for PC's is not written by M$?

Billy doesn't gat a piece of my PC price, just the operating system.

Well, that's one. You own no other M$ software? You're not the
norm.

I am still a Wordperfect user.

Buy a Mac, pay Billy twice.

Yeah, Ok...

Besides that, Spirit is far from lost.

Of course it's not.

JPL has reason to be proud.

Agreed!, but I'm sure there were some white faces.

The whole problem has probably been traced back to a software grop that
hogged the memory. The majority of JPL is probably very happy. Especially
with O'Keiffe's announcement that exploring the solar system will be done by
robots. I agree that having a look at planets before a manned mission is
essential. We need to find a place with something interesting to explore.

Old February 7th 04, 11:13 PM
John Mazor

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

Billy doesn't gat a piece of my PC price, just the operating system.

Bwhawhawha! Another one for the archive. Heading: Tarver the Clueless.
Or Tarver Non-sequiturs.

Old February 7th 04, 11:14 PM
John Mazor

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

Have you understood why Billy is so successful? In the Silicon Valley the
companys just steal their employees' product,

Do you have any idea of the history of Gates and DOS? Nope.

I am still a Wordperfect user.

That would explain a lot, especially when Tarver's e-mail software tries to
translate WP formatting commands into posted text.

Old February 8th 04, 12:30 AM
Tarver Engineering

"John Mazor" wrote in message
"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

Have you understood why Billy is so successful? In the Silicon Valley

the
companys just steal their employees' product,

Do you have any idea of the history of Gates and DOS? Nope.

Sure. IBM didn't want to pay for CPM and Billy made a deal.

Old February 8th 04, 01:36 AM
John Mazor

"John Mazor" wrote in message
"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

Have you understood why Billy is so successful? In the Silicon Valley

the
companys just steal their employees' product,

Do you have any idea of the history of Gates and DOS? Nope.

Sure. IBM didn't want to pay for CPM and Billy made a deal.

Phil, put this in the FAQ. February 7, 2004, Tarver got one right.

Damn, it took nearly eight years of wading through his crap to reach this
point, but we all had faith that it would happen at some point. Even the
monkeys eventually will type the complete works of Shakespeare.

Way to go, John. I've bookmarked my 2012 calendar to look for the next one.

Old February 8th 04, 02:06 AM
Tarver Engineering

"John Mazor" wrote in message

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

http://www.koshertoday.com/weekly%20...000/042400.htm

Englewood Cliffs, NJ.Strengthening its position in the emerging markets of
the Middle East, Bestfoods has entered Egypt by acquiring a majority
interest in El Rashidi El Mizan Confectionery Factories S.A.E., a
fast-growing maker of sesame-based products with annual sales of more than
$30 million. Bestfoods already has fast-growing operations in Israel and
Turkey, the area's two biggest economies, as well as Jordan and Saudi
Arabia. Bestfoods, formerly CPC International Inc., is among the largest
kosher-certified U.S. food companies, with sales of $8.6 billion in 1999.
Best known among Bestfoods' U.S. products a Hellmann's and Best Foods
mayonnaise and dressings; Mazola corn oil; Skippy peanut butter; Knorr
soups, sauces, and bouillons; Entenmann's sweet baked products; Thomas'
English muffins; Arnold, Brownberry, Freihofer's, and Oroweat breads;

Boboli
pizza crusts; Mueller's pasta; and Karo syrup.

The Bunyip must be thrilled!!

A 1990 study showed that in the U.S., the figure was 92%) said Rabbi
Yehoram Mazor, a leader of the liberal Reform Jewish movement that is
seeking to gain a foothold in Israel.

Here is why:

http://www.mnhn.fr/mnhn/meo/mammalia/01.pdf.

Old February 8th 04, 02:16 AM
John Mazor

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

Here is why:

http://www.mnhn.fr/mnhn/meo/mammalia/01.pdf.

Stop tap-dancing, where's the link to the hampster dance? Or did your furry
friends delete it from your computer in a fit of righteous indignation?

Old February 8th 04, 10:54 PM
Rhonda Lea Kirk

John Mazor:
Tarver Engineering:

Here is why:
http://www.mnhn.fr/mnhn/meo/mammalia/01.pdf.

Stop tap-dancing, where's the link to the hampster

dance?

http://www.hampsterdance.com/hampsterdanceredux.html

But this one is more appropriate for Tarver:

http://www.newgrounds.com/assassin/hamster/

Or did your furry friends delete it from your

computer in a
fit of righteous indignation?

Probably.