IBM white paper on Opteron

Old November 4th 03, 03:59 PM
Robert Myers

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 14:40:15 GMT, "Dean Kent"
wrote:

"jack" wrote in message

Is this the same Dean Kent from RealWorldTech? If it is, your posting
style has certainly changed of late. Are you having some sort of "bad
hair" week or something? ;-)

Yeah. Same person, same bad hair. Several years ago, I was arguing against
the Intel crowd who refused to see reality. Today I am arguing against the
AMD crowd that refuses to see reality. I thought back then that those with
similar opinions had them because they were paying attention to facts - I
see now that the only real difference in many is the side they randomly
picked for some emotional reason. It is frustrating to me to see how rare
critical thinking skills are, even amongst the intelligensia (I see it at
my work too, even amongst the so-called engineers. And they try to
rationalize it by saying "all software has bugs, so it isn't my fault")...

Maybe you need to get some reading glasses, too, or follow along more
carefully. Of comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips regulars, you would
surely be the only one who would consider me one of the AMD crowd.

It's odd that you're going after lack of critical thinking skills,
because you seem to be the one with several different ideas stuck
together as if with superglue. Growing market share for Dell in a
shrinking market == Michael Dell is a genius. Thinking there might be
some other explanation == Poster lacks "critical thinking skills."
Thinking that Michael Dell gets unusually favorable terms from Intel
== Poster is an AMDroid.

Of course, I have my own idées fixes, too. Thinking that not carrying
AMD products that would sell like hotcakes while carrying Itanium
servers that have practically no buyers has nothing to do with
pressure from Intel == Incroyable, naïf. Person who goes on and on
about critical thinking skills while going to ad hominum arguments and
abuse as a tactic in argumentation almost immediately == Person who
either doesn't understand critical thinking at all or expects that no
one will examine what he says by the same standards.

I must say, based on what I had previously read that was written by
you, I couldn't quite believe what I was reading, either.

RM
Old November 4th 03, 08:53 PM
chrisv

wrote:

It is frustrating to me to see how rare
critical thinking skills are, even amongst the intelligensia

I'm sorry, Dean, but it just kills me to see you say this. It always
reminds me of the time you resolutely insisted that the posted speed
limit was always the optimum speed/safety compromise, and that
anything over it was "endangering the lives of others".

Considering the myriad of variables (the person setting the limit, the
road itself, the time of day, traffic conditions, the 5MPH resolution
that official limits have, the handling characteristics of the
different vehicles, the skill and attentiveness of the driver etc,
etc, etc), your position was, OBVIOUSLY, illogical.

Old November 5th 03, 03:11 AM
Dean Kent

news
wrote:

It is frustrating to me to see how rare
critical thinking skills are, even amongst the intelligensia

I'm sorry, Dean, but it just kills me to see you say this. It always
reminds me of the time you resolutely insisted that the posted speed
limit was always the optimum speed/safety compromise, and that
anything over it was "endangering the lives of others".

Sorry Chris, but you have misquoted me. I said that studies show that the
faster you go, the greater the danger to yourself and others. I said that
the posted speed limit was the fastest anyone is *obligated* to drive to
avoid getting a ticket.

This was in response to comments about 'rude' people who wouldn't pull to
the right for faster traffic, and how they endangered the lives of others by
refusing to do so...

Considering the myriad of variables (the person setting the limit, the
road itself, the time of day, traffic conditions, the 5MPH resolution
that official limits have, the handling characteristics of the
different vehicles, the skill and attentiveness of the driver etc,
etc, etc), your position was, OBVIOUSLY, illogical.

Perhaps my position was illogical - but it wasn't what you are claiming my
position was. Please go back and review the discussion...

Regards,
Dean

Old November 5th 03, 04:33 AM
Dean Kent

"Keith R. Williams" wrote in message
. ..

Just so it be known... I find your recent tirades to be so non-
Dean too. You fire off at people with deliberate malice,
something you've chastised me (rightfully) for. Like others,
I've found your recent articles rather confusing.

I've been sick lately. :-).

Regards,
Dean

--